NHL JERSEY POWER RANKINGS

charger77

I generally don't comment on subjective lists like this, but the most glaring differences of opinion I have with this is that I think the Sharks and Kings should be flip-flopped.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm agree with you on being sick of the old = good, new = bad attitude here. The idea of some sports being untouchable due to tradition is crazy. I the original uniforms are best, then what the hell are we doing here. Nothing need changing or updating so we can all go home now. The new Sabres jersey rocks it just needs an updated version of the classic logo like Celcius designed. The old good, new bad thing really bugs me in the NFL, anyone who thinks the Browns made a good move making thier face mask grey, not a team color needs their head examined. In the past they were all grey but if they could have had color back in the day I'm sure they would have.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

How utterly predictable - Sabres in last place.

predictable = accurate, no?

Not necessarily. It is a jersey ranking, not a logo ranking. If it was a logo ranking, I might not have as big a problem with it. But they do not have indisputably the worst JERSEYS in the NHL. There's more of a conversation about that.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

i like the fact that he has the flyers in the top 10, thats good enough for me - i also like that he has the habs first and buffalo last - predictable or not, i think that accurately shows the opinion of the majority of the hockey world, obviously not everyone is going to be happy about it, but if you said habs in the top 3 and sabres in the bottom 3, you probably wouldn't get many arguments OVERALL

worldchampsll1.png

I can argue the Canadiens being anywhere near the top. If your home and away don't have the same design, you drop to the bottom of the list. If they dropped the away jersey and adopted their alt as the new away that would move them up but lets be honest, there is nothing great about those jerseys. Great players, and great teams have worn them but the jersey itself is meh, especially when put together with the pants that don't matxh and the helmet that again does not match.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

I can argue the Canadiens being anywhere near the top. If your home and away don't have the same design, you drop to the bottom of the list. If they dropped the away jersey and adopted their alt as the new away that would move them up but lets be honest, there is nothing great about those jerseys. Great players, and great teams have worn them but the jersey itself is meh, especially when put together with the pants that don't matxh and the helmet that again does not match.

You're insane.

THe list is a pretty good list, with a few corrections here and there, it'd be perfect. As is, not bad.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

how are the black hawks not number 1? I mean I hate the team but they do have the nicest logo/uniform combo in the league. Not to mention a true classic logo.

27. Predators

Could those teeth be any longer?

I think the guy's too stupid to realize that it's a saber-toothed cat.

lol I can't stop laugh :D ing!

untitled-6.jpg

I hate these types of lists. They're from sports reporters who have a bit of interest in design.

As such, they go nuts over tradition and ignore the important small design details.

For example, the Leafs don't deserve to be anywhere near the top 3.

Look, I love their simple white and blue scheme. I think almost any of their Leaf-silhouette logos are sharp. And they've had a few successful striping patterns with the simple two stripes and the two thin stripes surrounding a thicker stripe (like the Coyotes have now).

So they've got tradition, and they've never been gawdy. But they are far from the top three at the moment.

They've got a few occassional silver outlines. They have a block font, but a rounded font on the names and in the logo. The sleeves have the double stripe look (which is hurt by the silver already) while the socks have the three striped look.

It's not an awful uniform. It doesn't hurt my eyes. But I think to have top three, you have to be nice looking and have done a good job on those little things. But for writers like these, you just have to look kinda nice and have tradition.

The Bruins are in a similar situation, except, I just don't think their jerseys are really all that close to being good anyways. They have a mediocre design, with a classy and traditional but still not great logo.

The Red Wings at number 2 isn't a great choice either. It's a good logo and a pretty solid white uniform, but the red is brutal.

I can handle the Canadiens at 1, but I think their white jersey should knock them off of that a little bit. And their logo, while like the Boston B is classy and traditional, is not really that great.

My pick for top two would be my Blues and the Blackhawks. I know theirs homer tendancies in picking the Blues, but it's a good looking design. It's traditional but current, and it's a consistant look. I've seen enough rankings place it in the top 3 that I don't feel any homer guilt on that choice.

As for the Blackhawks, I still remain bothered in some minor striping consistancy between the red and white (and black) jerseys, but each individual uniform is super sharp looking, the logo is great, and while I won't let tradition carry a design to it's ranking, it certainly serves as bonus points here.

as much i dislike the old == classic, new == bad argument, i gotta say the rangers, blackhawks and wings have classy logos and unis. boston's is terrible (both logo and current unis) while toronto is bad as well (bring back to the stylized maple leaf)

as for the new uniforms, caps and florida is tops on my list. wow i think the caps look great; colors, logos, everything. im also probably the only one who likes the nucks new look. c'mon they incorporated the old stick logo as their secondary. Its a link to their history! plus i never thought that logo was nice enough for a primary logo, too plain. i like the sens away look a lot too (but not their home 3d roman centurion logo/unis)

and yes as a sabres fan i think our rags are terrible. but if this is the general consensus, who the heck are the people buying them? im confused. i hated the goat heads when they came out but love them now. i doubt this will happen with the current ones.

How utterly predictable - Sabres in last place.

The Sabres new uniforms are completely terrible. I know the merchandise is selling well because the team is amazing and everyone in town wants to feel like they're a part of it but the new logo and uniform are just really, really ugly.

Even the team had cold feet about the new look. Supposedly they didn't even put orders in to the manufacturers until September because they weren't sure how it'd sell, hence the continuing problems selling the jerseys. That may have also been why they waited so long to unveil them.

ESPN is no longer allowed to comment on hockey. They don't cover college hockey one bit and they treat the NHL worse than NCAA Women's basketball.. If you scroll down their main page this is the order of sports:

NFL <-Understandable

College Football <- One game remains

NBA <- It is ESPN afterall

MLB <- Not in season

Nascar <- Not in season

College Basketball <_ Actually thought it would be higher

Women's Basketball <- Are you kidding me?

NHL

:censored: you, ESPN.

I completely agree with STL FANATIC.

Classic doesn't always equal good.

The Bruins, Leafs, Kings, Panthers, Avs & Senators are all way higher ranked than they should be.

The Sharks, Wild, Canucks, Devils and Stars don't deserve the low ranking.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

27. Predators

Could those teeth be any longer?

I think the guy's too stupid to realize that it's a saber-toothed cat.

Have you seen the teeth on that logo? The teeth appear to have more mass than the fu*king HEAD!!! It's a ridiculous looking logo, and i've hated it since day one. Chris can attest to that....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

First of all to sit here and say that sports reporter can't comment or come up with a list of what he likes or dislikes in uniforms and because he works for ESPN which no longer broadcasts hockey doesn't mean the list is invalid. It's his opinion. If we went off of the idea that he's a sports reporter and works for ESPN, ALL of us would be banned from commenting on this subject too. Why? Because who are we? Well beside a bunch of sports logo and uniform freaks, but does that make our opinion any more valid? Nope. It's an opinion and we all have a few of them that stink like armpits! :P So here's my armpit take on the list:

1-4 I have no problem with.

5. The Bruins? That's a brutal design. The Cam Neely or Bobby Orr era sweaters are better. I'd push them down to about 10 because of the yoke/striping ugliness.

6-20 They are all interchangeable. I'd move Jersey up to about 8 or so. The Sens need to be dropped due to every sweater has a different design. The Canucks have way depressing colors and he mentioned about the Caps logo about it being good (he mentioned the list wasn't about the logos) and yet does anyone else notice it's a one-legged bird? It's horrible along the lines of the buffaloslug!

21- bottom I'd slide the Ducks up to about 21 or maybe 20 due to colors work well and striping is nice and consistant. What keeps them out of the top 10 for me, those crappy and I do mean crappy numbers and letters. STOP IT NOW! They are so large that I wouldn't be surprised to see them end up on the front of a jersey and those tails at the top of the numbers, stop! It's not cute. The rest of them belong down there for a reason. They're crap. San Jose? Classy simple to ultra skinny fonts, why? And again Atlanta... people who design for fashion models should not be allowed near sports.

They're my opinions, and I know to some of you they stink! :hockeysmiley:

Archived