BC Place Roof collapses

Lee.

It's all right here.

Or, for those to lazy to follow a link,

B.C. Place Stadium's inflated roof has partially collapsed, but officials say that no one was injured.

"It's an air-supported roof, or the 'Big Pillow' as people call it, and it developed a rip in the corner over the G-Gate entrance," CTV's Todd Battis reported.

John McKearney, deputy chief of Vancouver Fire and Rescue, said no one was hurt when part of the roof fell at about 12:40 p.m.

"The roof is actually slowly collapsing -- it hasn't completely deflated as of yet," he said.

"All staff inside were relocated and at this point it's now a maintenance issue."

He added that 16 firefighters were dispatched to the scene.

Battis said the collapse may have resulted from inclement weather and high winds. Clouds have dumped huge amounts of rain and snow on the West Coast in recent days.

"We've got heavy, wet snow showers in Vancouver at the moment," Battis told CTV Newsnet.

"The thinking is that the weight just couldn't be supported -- it found a weak area in the roof, tore it back, and so now you've got snow and rain falling into that part of the stadium."

The roof is made from about 10 acres of fiberglass-woven fabric, consisting of two layers. Hot air can be pumped between the layers to melt more than 15 centimetres of snow every hour.

"Our major concern is the accumulation of water," B.C. Place General Manager Howard Crosley told reporters.

"We're assessing the damage. The good news is that it's one panel."

The building is home to the B.C. Lions CFL team and known as "the world's largest air supported domed stadium."

It will also be the future home of the 2010 Winter Olympics, where both the opening and closing ceremonies will be held -- the first time the events will be seen indoors.

On Friday, witnesses reported seeing the large, torn fragment of the roof flapping in the wind.

Trevor Holness, 30, told The Canadian Press it looked like someone shaking out a rug, and that heard a loud ripping sound.

"It was very scary," he said. "The sound was the scariest about it. It sent shivers down your spine."

He added that about 30 people usually work at the stadium but on Friday that number was far less.

Vancouver built the stadium 21 years ago for the Expo '86 World's Fair. In 2006, the provincial government said the roof would last until at least 2020.

Makes sense, I heard fire engines and whatnot going past the office a couple of hours ago, and it was snowing earlier.

Stupid west coast. :cursing:

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Here they say it was purposely deflated after part of the roof was damaged.

The roof at B.C. Place stadium was purposefully collapsed today after it was damaged by wind.

Stadium staff turned off the fans supporting the fabric roof after it was torn during a windstorm that dropped heavy sleet on the city.

The roof is held up by air pressure, so even a tiny tear in the fabric could cause the roof to collapse. The stadium is home to the B.C. Lions football club, and its construction was completed in 1983.

Howard Crosley, General Manager at BC Place Stadium told reporters he did not know what caused the roof to tear.

"There?s never been a tear in the roof of BC Place. This is the first time there?s been a deflation," Crosley said, adding the process was done "in a controlled manner. The roof came down nicely."

PopHeading-1.gif

All Montrealers together, turn your backs to the West and:

MOON!!!!!

:flagcanada:

:D Serves them right for embarrassing us at the Grey Cup. What goes around, comes around.

I think it's the curse of that FieldTurf.... First the Expos leave, now BC Place's roof collapses.... conspiracy? ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

The local news broadcast at six reported that a new panel will be shipped to Vancouver by Monday and that they'll have it replaced and set up later next week.

according to Team 1040, it'll take about 3 weeks for full installation and re-inflation. If they put it back together in a week, they're fools, this is a pretty major thing. Half-assing it isn't the way to go, if something like this happens during a Lions game or any of the Oly events, they're boned.

I may be imagining things, but hasn't this happened at the Metrodome multiple times?

It has, but I don't think it's happened to this extent, where an entire panel had to be replaced. Interesting to note, though, that BC Place and the Metrodome are essentially the same dome, BC Place is just a bit smaller than the Met, although its baseball configuration is much better.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Dumb idea...

Leave the roof off the dome for the next three years as they build a retractable roof. Should have no effect on Lions football as football cares not for weather. Then they could use the retractable roof for the Olympics and anything else thereafter.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Problem with that being, all of the wiring and lights and whatnot that they'd have to rebuild in time for June, when football season starts; there's a :censored:-ton of wiring and electronics hanging off of that roof that needs to be placed elsewhere...and with a skilled labor shortage in this town, who knows if that's viable at this point.

I'd like to see it, but considering how the greenies are complaining about how over-budget the Olympics already are, adding a $100M retractable roof to the BCP would make them catapult themselves into the side of a building.

Hey, waitiaminnit....

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I may be imagining things, but hasn't this happened at the Metrodome multiple times?

Yes, at least in the first year that the Metrodome was open (1982). I don't recall it happening there for many years, though.

CCSLC signature.png

Yes, at least in the first year that the Metrodome was open (1982). I don't recall it happening there for many years, though.

It first collapsed in November 1981 due to snowfall. It was torn in 1983 by ice.

zzPEfBm.png

Archived