Favre to Return

FloPoErich

Linky...

Favre to return to Packers next season

Brett Favre

Brett Favre

Sports Network

2/2/2007 12:25:57 PM

Green Bay, WI (Sports Network) - The Green Bay Packers can delay their search for a new face of the franchise for one more year, as quarterback Brett Favre will be back for his 17th season in the NFL.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson released a statement Friday confirming Favre's decision.

"Brett Favre informed me this morning that he plans to return for a 17th NFL season," Thompson stated. "The Packers are excited by his decision and look forward to a successful 2007 campaign."

According to the Biloxi Sun-Herald, which broke the story on Friday morning, Favre was intent on returning after the season-ending victory against Chicago.

"I am so excited about coming back," Favre told the Sun-Herald. "We have a good nucleus of young players. We were 8-8 last year and that's encouraging."

Favre completed 56 percent of his passes for 3,885 yards with 18 touchdowns and 18 interceptions last season, while guiding the Packers to a .500 mark.

A future Hall of Famer, Favre started all 16 games for the 14th straight season, stretching his consecutive starts streak to 237 (257 including playoffs), an NFL record among quarterbacks.

Favre, who will turn 38 next season, passed Dan Marino last season for the most completions in NFL history and sits on the doorstep of a number of other records, including wins by a quarterback and touchdown passes. He is one victory shy of John Elway (148), six TD passes from tying Marino (420) and is 3,862 yards short of passing Marino for the most passing yards in history.

After a tough 2005 season in which he threw 29 interceptions for a 4-12 club, Favre took a few months before deciding to return in 2006. This decision apparently wasn't as difficult.

Favre told the paper, "My offensive line looks good, the defense played good down the stretch. I'm excited about playing for a talented young football team."

A three-time MVP award winner, Favre led the Packers to their first NFL title in 30 years with a 35-21 Super Bowl XXXI victory over the New England Patriots after the 1996 season.

StempSig.png

LeeStempniak.jpg

BluesJerseySig-1.gif

bloglogo.gif

Well, there goes the "crying at season's end, so he's gone" theory.

Notably, he didn't say this would guaranteed be his last year. That will probably depend on if the Packers continue to improve.

But it might be a good thing for him to declare a final year, soak up the accolades and retire happy with what should be a better team this year.

BTW, the talk around Green Bay was that Favre's family urged him to come back to take a shot at Marino's passing records - they want to see the old man in the record books for a while.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Good for him!

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

As a lifelong Packer fan, all I can say is:

Aw, dammit.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Oh boy.. .when will Favre realize it and retire for good?? Sure he is a great QB..but is it worth it for some records?? Oh boy....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

I'll probably have to eat my words here, but hello 0-16 season.

I second that notion.

Did you guys watch Favre play at all last season? He can still play. His biggest problem is lack of talent around him (WRs and O-line). Donald Driver was his only reliable receiver. His #2 option was a rookie. After that it was pretty much nothing. He threw quite a few perfect passes that were just dropped. I don't think Manning could have put much better numbers (Favre still threw for 3800 yards). If the Pack go 0-16 it won't be because of Favre.

I second that notion.

Did you guys watch Favre play at all last season? He can still play. His biggest problem is lack of talent around him (WRs and O-line). Donald Driver was his only reliable receiver. His #2 option was a rookie. After that it was pretty much nothing. He threw quite a few perfect passes that were just dropped. I don't think Manning could have put much better numbers (Favre still threw for 3800 yards). If the Pack go 0-16 it won't be because of Favre.

I wasn't going by his performance, I was saying it because I hope he doesn't win a single game next season. Just look at where I'm from and you should be able to figure out why I hope that happens.

I second that notion.

I wasn't going by his performance, I was saying it because I hope he doesn't win a single game next season. Just look at where I'm from and you should be able to figure out why I hope that happens.

That's wishful hoping and all, but the Packers get to play the Lions twice next season.....

The Packers should be challenging for a playoff spot next season. They really came on at the end of the year. Remember they were one game out of the playoffs people??

And Favre had a pretty good season. This team is young and talented, and with another year of Favre at the helm I can easily see 9-7 or 10-6 next year.

This is great news!

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I happy for Brett, but i really do feel sorry for Aaron Rodgers. From being one of the top QBs in college his year, was a suppose to be a #1 pick but couldnt get a contract agreement with the 49ers. Dropping in the draft to Green Bay and now not playing alick. Talk about a steep drop off the mountain top.

Favre still shows he can do it and he's a living legend, but in the long run, his "one more year...maybe/maybe not" stuff has to be costing the Packers. With his consecutive game streak, Rogers will NEVER see the field and I agree that he's getting the shaft.

KISSwall09.jpg

I happy for Brett, but i really do feel sorry for Aaron Rodgers. From being one of the top QBs in college his year, was a suppose to be a #1 pick but couldnt get a contract agreement with the 49ers. Dropping in the draft to Green Bay and now not playing alick. Talk about a steep drop off the mountain top.

From what we've seen on the field in preseason and (abbreviated) regular season action, Rodgers isn't ready for starting right now. He's the type of QB who could eventually become an effective, Marc Bulger-type starter, but won't blow anyone away with his physical gifts. Therefore, he needs to know the NFL game really well to overcome his limitations, and for whatever reason, he's not there yet.

Sure, it sucks to be behind Favre right now, but it's not like he could get traded to another team and become an immediate starter. He'll still play sooner in GB than he could anywhere else.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived