NHL to white at home for 07/08?

eSabre

I never liked the "colored" jerseys at home. To me, whites are supposed to be worn at home, in all sports, save the NFL. Call me a purist if you must. Meh, get off my lawn.

Well if you are a purist then wouldn't you be in favor of dark at home. After all dark jerseys have been the home jersey for most of the leagues history.

It never sat well with me that teams wore their colors at home. What I don't get is that if general fan opinion is to wear whites at home, bring back fighting, and change the schedule...why the heck is the NHL just ignoring them to do what they want?

Well I don't know if it is a majority of fans or if it's just a loud minority. I personally think most fans don't care which jersey the team wheres at home. As for the not used to it argument give it some time and you will. Let's not forget the logistical reasons why the switch back to dark at home happened in the first place. The problems will reemerge again in a few years which is why it makes no sense to white at home only to go back and further confuse fans.

As for the schedule, which is off topic, I don't think it's a great big majority that don't like it. There are a lot of fans who like the schedule that you don't hear because why would one speak out to keep things the way they are?

Home colors Vs visiting whites = Very little variety.

Home whites Vs visiting colors = Uniqueness to every game.

Why in the world would you want to see every visiting team in white? How boring is that?

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

I never liked the "colored" jerseys at home. To me, whites are supposed to be worn at home, in all sports, save the NFL.

Always wear white, except when you don't.

WEaring white after Labor Day is a definite no-no, however, so by wearing the darks at home, you are embarrassing your visitors; you already have that psychological edge.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

For what it's worth, this information is directly from Larry Quinn, according to Schopp & The Bulldog.

Quinns also the guy who said Buffalo can't use a different set of gloves, pants and helmets for our thirds...

I never liked the "colored" jerseys at home. To me, whites are supposed to be worn at home, in all sports, save the NFL. Call me a purist if you must. Meh, get off my lawn.

Well if you are a purist then wouldn't you be in favor of dark at home. After all dark jerseys have been the home jersey for most of the leagues history.

Good point. For the purposes of the here and now though, I prefer the whites at home. I came up watching the vistors in their colors, and while I'm all for "letting the home fans see the home team in their away jerseys"(as it was put to me by the local minor league team), I do have to agree with an earlier poster in that when the whites were the home set, you never had to think about who was at home. For what it's worh, I hope they go back.

Avsman.png

Dennis.gif

Have you ever looked at sports logos...ON WEED?

I do have to agree with an earlier poster in that when the whites were the home set, you never had to think about who was at home.

That's a load of crap... if anything you had to think MORE about who was at home... remember alternate jerseys?

More times than not a team would wear it's alternate jersey at home... so you'd have the road team in white and the home team in colours for some games and other games the other way around -- that's LESS confusing than ALWAYS white on road, colour at home to you?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

As an example, the Rangers are the Broadway BLUESHIRTS, so why would they wear white at home? Also, most teams' dark jerseys are the more interesting of the two (look at Atlanta).Plus third jerseys are almost always dark, and always worn at home. Considering all this, I think it makes enough sense to keep dark the home color.

Darks at home just makes sense. It allows teams to wear their alternates (which are almost always dark) in front of their home crowd without forcing their opponents to bring two sets of uniforms on a road trip. Like Chris said, it's always going to be dark at home, white on the road (save a few Leafs and Habs games).

Also, the vast majority of fans don't care if every home game is team colour vs white.

Who really cares if teams wear darks or whites at home. Christ.

I don't understand the "it's boring always seeing your team in dark v.s. the other teams whites". Do you guys not watch your team's away games? Do you look at the schedule on gameday to see if it's an away game or a home game before you decide if you want to watch or something? :wacko:

If it was up to me, I'd let each team decide on a primary and a secondary ala soccer. Let teams who find their white uniforms more traditional (buffalo, toronto, phoenix, detroit whatever) wear them. Other teams might want to wear their darks most of the time (calgary, san jose, rangers, flyers, habs, etc).

But obviously that's impossible because the whole reason for the switch in the first place was so teams wouldn't have to travel with as much stuff. Teams would have to take both sets on long road trips under a system like that.

If it was up to me, I'd let each team decide on a primary and a secondary ala soccer. Let teams who find their white uniforms more traditional (buffalo, toronto, phoenix, detroit whatever) wear them. Other teams might want to wear their darks most of the time (calgary, san jose, rangers, flyers, habs, etc).

But obviously that's impossible because the whole reason for the switch in the first place was so teams wouldn't have to travel with as much stuff. Teams would have to take both sets on long road trips under a system like that.

You win!

That argument about home colour vs away white every game being boring is for those fans with season tickets or attend games regularly.

Then again these are the same people who have no problem with every baseball game being white vs grey.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

You win!

That argument about home colour vs away white every game being boring is for those fans with season tickets or attend games regularly.

Then again these are the same people who have no problem with every baseball game being white vs grey.

Yes it IS about those who pay their hard earned money to be AT the games, not about those who sit and watch all of the games on TV. On TV it doesn't matter one bit who wears what. If you are there game after game it's nice to see some variety.

Unless you were being sarcastic, your comparison to baseball's white vs grey is ridiculous. In baseball there is very little variety to begin with.

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

I personally like most white jerseys better than their dark counterpart. I would like for the NHL to switch back to white at homes.

In my opinion no team in the Atlantic Division (my division) has a nicer looking dark jersey than their white jerseys.

You win!

Yes it IS about those who pay their hard earned money to be AT the games, not about those who sit and watch all of the games on TV. On TV it doesn't matter one bit who wears what. If you are there game after game it's nice to see some variety.

Unless you were being sarcastic, your comparison to baseball's white vs grey is ridiculous. In baseball there is very little variety to begin with.

But that argument doesn't work for every team either. White at home punishes the Montreal fans who would never get to see the teams famous red sweater. And that is of the team they support not of a visiting team they don't.

You win!

I would bet a good number of fans don't care what their team wears at home, and in the cases they do (Montréal) they would prefer to see the dark jerseys. Again, given that 16 out of 18 alternate jerseys are dark, it makes perfect sense to switch to dark at home.

If alternates are a reason why darks are at home, why not follow Montreal and Toronto and make white alternates?

Montréal and Toronto could get away with this because they used throwback designs. So for all the league's alternates to go white a team would either have to use an old white jersey design (which not all teams can do) or design a fresh sweater with white as the primary colour. In most cases the difference between the home white and the white alternate would be marginalized by the two sweaters similar appearance (similar striping patterns, colours, and logo designs).

Seeing as it would be dull to have every alternate be a throwback, and new alternate designs tend to work best as dark jerseys, dark alternates are the best choice.

Again, seeing as most alternates are dark, dark at home makes more sense then white at home.

And not all teams have a more "interesting" dark jersey design.

You're right, but I would say at no dark primary jersey is worse then its white counterpart. At worst the two primaries are on the same level league-wide.

We oldsters were youngsters when the league went from dark at home to white in 1970, and we squawked about it (obviously not on the internet). And our elders were happy because it went back to the way things were throughout most of the 1950s...

Ain't it funny how time slips away....

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

And not all teams have a more "interesting" dark jersey design.

You're right, but I would say at no dark primary jersey is worse then its white counterpart. At worst the two primaries are on the same level league-wide.

I think the Flyers would be one glaring exception to your statement. The white is awesome - orange, white, black. The dark is aweful (IMO) - white, black, black. Granted, it's their own dumb fault for adopting the black jersey, but it still sucks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I find it to be quite the opposite of what a previous poster said. Most dark-set designs are booooring and lacking in anything resembling variety.

Same-color helmet, jersey and pants? Wake me when that one's over.

To my eye, every color in a team's look stands out much better on a white 'canvas.'

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I know it's just my personal opionion, but I'd say the Flyers, Hurricanes, Red Wings, Maple Leafs, Thrashers, Sharks, Senators, Flames, Coyotes, Stars, Wild, and Capitals all look better in their whites than their current darks.

I never liked the "colored" jerseys at home. To me, whites are supposed to be worn at home, in all sports, save the NFL.

Always wear white, except when you don't.

Except after Labor Day :rolleyes:

I prefer white at home as well.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

• LMU locked this topic

Archived