Which, oh which player to get...pt.2!

zer0dotcom

So, Thanks to everyone for pitching in on my last thread about my Coyotes Black jersey. I've pretty much settled on Burke for that one, though I'm still considering Roenick.

The one thing holding me back is money, but I've found an independent stitcher who is willing to do NHL styles at a rate far less than a commercial retailer, so it's fun to imagine what I'm going to drop all that money on once school is no longer draining my account. (He did both a Thrashers and Nordiques jersey for me and I was most impressed by the outcomes)

So, now I'm thinking big, and have another sweater that I'm wanting to get customized. I have a white Vancouver Canucks, 98-03 (no sleeve patches). So, I'm considering names for this one as well, since at this time they had quite the collection of names:

Bure #10

Messier #11

Linden #16

Mogilny #89

McLean #1 (he played in '98 for a half a season, then was traded for Sean Burke, who wore his number now that it was vacant)

#19 Naslund

#55 Jovo

I have an idea of which I would chose, but I love the conversation that these threads spark, so I'll keep it mum for now and see what shakes loose from the input

Messier #11

just because he was amazing...maybe greatest caunck of all time just maybe

Maybe the best player in general to play for the Nucks, but not as a Canuck. Bure's the best Canuck.

Anywho, I'd go with Linden

Bure is probably better associated with the black - yellow set, so I'd probably go in another direction.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd go with Naslund with Jovonovski as a second choice.

When I think of Bure and Linden, I think of those white and black skate logo jerseys in the '94 playoff run (and not to mention those ugly red thirds). Messier would be fine, but the Canucks didn't go very far with him around.

I saw, I came, I left.

Messier #11

just because he was amazing...maybe greatest caunck of all time just maybe

Maybe the best player in general to play for the Nucks, but not as a Canuck. Bure's the best Canuck.

Anywho, I'd go with Linden

Bure is probably better associated with the black - yellow set, so I'd probably go in another direction.

I was just saying Bure's the best Canuck in franchise history. I agree he's more flying skate than orca.

You could always go Odjick or Zezel :D

Oh I know, I meant it for zer0, just happened to quote your post. Also, wasn't he wearing #96 by then?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You just knew I was going to have an opinion on this one, didn't you?

First, and most important, you made the right choice to go with the one without the shoulder patches.

The first year they wore that style was in 97-98.

That means you can add the 1998 NHL All-Star game patch to the right chest. These are almost always on ebay and shouldn't be hard to find for $10-15.

175px-NHL_AllStar_1998.gif

Then, the Canucks started the 97-98 season in Japan on Oct. 3 & 4 and wore this patch on the left sleeve above the numbers about where a secondary logo would be. Vancouver was considered the "home" team on the 3rd and would have worn white that day. This would have not only been the season opener, but the regular season debut of the new jersey style.

18_2.JPG

It's a bit more expensive, but rare as heck and on ebay right now. Game ONe '97 patch auction

Oct. 3 boxscore

According to the boxscore, your player choices from that game on your list would be

Bure #10 "A"

Messier #11 "C"

Linden #16 "A"? (Can't prove it, but if he gave up his captaincy to Messier, I would expect he'd still wear the "A")

McLean #1 (starter)

The game recap even says Messier and Bure scored that day, with Messier getting the game winner.

97-98 team stats

Season recap with Japan info

Linden was later traded that year to the Islanders for Bertuzzi & McCabe and McLean & Gelinas were traded to Carolina for Sean Burke & Geoff Sanderson. Burke was later traded again to the Flyers.

53128264.jpg

Messier "C" & Bure "A"

53129327.jpg

Linden with "C", suggesting he usually wore the "A"

This is really, really odd since the stats show Messier played 82 games. Preseason game perhaps?

Other choices from that year that would get the 98 All-Star patch but not the Japan patch are;

Mogilny #89 (did not play in Japan due to holdout)

Bertuzzi

and Sean Burke, since you seem to like him.

Personally, I have the same jersey and did mine as Messier #11/"C"/98 All-star/Game ONe '97.

Sweeeeeeeeet.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

BERTUZZI #44!!!

He was a popular player while he was there and I'm sure he'd have been on your list had it not been for the whole Steve Moore incident.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

BERTUZZI #44!!!

He was a popular player while he was there and I'm sure he'd have been on your list had it not been for the whole Steve Moore incident.

Did he not wear 27 (Or a number close to that) When he first arrived???? Later changing to 44

BERTUZZI #44!!!

Did he not wear 27 (Or a number close to that) When he first arrived???? Later changing to 44

Correct. HockeyDB.com also lists him as 27 in 97-98.

275954.jpg

HansonsSig.jpg

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

irbe.JPG

gotta go with archie irbe, #32 :)

or perhaps trent klatt.

I have to sheepishly raise my hand and confess that I also have a white Canucks #32 Irbe with the 98 All-star and 97 Game ONe Japan patch.

Irbe is my hero and I have jersey of his from San Jose, Vancouver, Dallas, Carolina (red) 99-00, Carolina (white) 01-02, 1994 All-Star Game, 1999 All-Star game & Kansas City Blades.

I didn't mention him since he already had McLean on his list and Irbe didn't actually play in Japan.

HansonsSig.jpg

Archived