Baltimore Orioles Concept

speedy

Well for starters, I brought back the Baltimore script for the road jerseys. In baseball I feel it should be team name at home, team city/location on the road. I also brought back the cartoon Oriole, which I've always personally loved. The most notable difference with this set is the absence of an Oriole on the cap. I tried using the B from the Baltimore script on the hat, but when standing alone it looks like a fancy R, so I went with a more traditional type B. Now go ahead and say, "Wellll it doesn't match the script." Yeah, it didn't match the script in 1963 either. Now let me explain the use of the Astros syndrome (Home/Road Alternates), I hear the need for "Put Baltimore back on the jersey!" Now tell me this, would YOU miss a chance to sell more jerseys? I would gurantee if you slapped Baltimore on a black jersey you wouldn't be able to keep it on the shelves. The batting practice jersey, not much you can do with these, but since there's 2 black alternates in the set, I decided to spice it up with an orange jersey. I also put the Oriole back on the cap.

Baltimore.png

C&C greatly appreciated...

why oh why does every baseball team insist on having an Intial for a logo. what is so wrong with having an actual mascot on your hat?

if you must put a B on something. put it on the BP hat so it doesnt show up all the time in game play.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

I like the jerseys. Baltimore really needs to be on the jerseys. I also like the return of the cartoon bird. The alternates are pretty nice too. I'd like to see an orange alt, but they can live with a black one.

The hats are a little strange. I like the idea of putting a B on the hats, but its strange not seeing an Oriole on the hat. Personally I'd change the design of the B. As someone else pointed out, it looks a little too much like Boston's. I'd try something a little different.

I agree with most posters here, the "B" is too similar to the Red Sox. I think the bird or the "O's" script would work fine on the hat. I like the alternate jerseys, i think that would work really well in real life like you explained ($$$). Why do the road jersey numbers and letters have a black then white outline while all others just have one color? seems out of place. Also, i think the black jerseys should only be used with the white pants, as there is no gray on those jerseys to match the gray pants as of now. Other than that i can't think of much, except i like how you used kevin millar, even though he belongs on another AL East team.

You've picked a tough team to work with. Overall, I like your concept, and your B is better than most ideas I've seen for the Orioles. I still think you can improve a few elements, though I don't have any specific ideas for "do this" or "do that." Instead, I'll just ruminate for a moment.

The cap is the only thing in your concept that's not quite working for me. Everything else -- the "Baltimore" script, the orange lettering, etc. -- is just perfect and absolutely what the team should wear.

Why do I say that the Orioles are a tough team to work with? Well, mainly because of its division alignment and location. You can't put a tiffany B on the cap; that's Boston. You can't put a cursive B on the cap; it would look too much like Washington. The B you're using, though, looks dangerously like what the Pirates would wear if Prime Minister Pitt's name had been "Blair."

Also, the Orioles have a long tradition -- going back 50 years before the St. Louis Browns brought big-league ball to town -- of using mascot caps. As such, I don't think an Orioles concept can entirely get rid of the bird, at least from the road cap. (And not the cartoon bird, which was a short-lived fad that roughly coincided with the ugliest era in baseball uniform history; the traditional Oriole cap is a realistic bird in profile.) At home, you've got the word "Orioles" on the jersey, so a B cap works fine. But on the road, your script Baltimore makes the blocky B redundant; that uniform just calls out for an oriole on the cap.

You need a B that's not as blocky or static as the one you've designed, but one that doesn't look like a Boston or a Washington or even a Pittsburgh wannabe. I would start looking at bird shapes -- wings, heads, tails, beaks -- and at nautical shapes for inspiration. A B with an oriole's tailfeathers? Or just one with a swooshy feel? Look at the O's affiliate Bowie Baysox -- their B logo is inspired by the shape of a sailboat sail (or a wave) without being a literal illustration of a sailboat (or a wave). Something along those lines is what the Orioles need in a B -- something that says "Orioles" or "Baltimore" without actually being a bird or a ship.

20082614447.png

I agree with most posters here, the "B" is too similar to the Red Sox. I think the bird or the "O's" script would work fine on the hat. I like the alternate jerseys, i think that would work really well in real life like you explained ($$$). Why do the road jersey numbers and letters have a black then white outline while all others just have one color? seems out of place. Also, i think the black jerseys should only be used with the white pants, as there is no gray on those jerseys to match the gray pants as of now. Other than that i can't think of much, except i like how you used kevin millar, even though he belongs on another AL East team.

Just because he put a B on the hat it looks too much the RedSox!!!??? :therock::blink: Come On! The Red Sox don't on the letter B and the B being used here and the RedSox be don't look alike other that the fact that it's a B. The Reds have a C on the hats and so do the Cubs. So we make a rule that only one of those teams can have a C on their hats? That's just stupid. I like that concept and acceptable the letter for a change.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Just because he put a B on the hat it looks too much the RedSox!!!??? :therock::blink: Come On! The Red Sox don't on the letter B and the B being used here and the RedSox be don't look alike other that the fact that it's a B. The Reds have a C on the hats and so do the Cubs. So we make a rule that only one of those teams can have a C on their hats? That's just stupid. I like that concept and acceptable the letter for a change.

I will respond to what I can understand from this. I think the B looks too much like the style of the boston B. If it was cursive or something else, it wouldnt look as much like it to me. 2 teams in the same division shouldnt have very similar hats because they play eachother a lot during the year. Seeing the same hat over and over again would get redundant.

Design-wise, these are very good. I kinda like the idea of using the "B" instead of the "O's" logo and the use of the Baltimore script wordmark. But for future reference, the sleeve patch usually goes on the left sleeve, above the manufacturer's logo. I know, it's nit-picky, but I likes my realism, damnit!

QPR%20Sig.png

I like the idea of a B on the cap, but as stated before, this one reminds me too much of the Red Sox style and doesn't really matech the rest of the identity.

Your best bet would be to take the B from the "Baltimore" script and use that one as the B for the caps. Also, the cartoon bird is overly retro, use the current Orioles cap bird as the sleeve patch and you'll have yourself a winner.

I'll never understand why people like the happy bird. I like the current bird (actually, the version right when they dumped the happy bird) and I think that should be on the cap.

Another gripe: Why do so many concepts have the patch on the right sleeve? Teams tend to put them on the left.

Other than that, I like it. I like the "Baltimore" script and the look of the alts. I even like the happy bird for the BP cap--particularly on the all black cap (as opposed to the black/white/orange cap of the '80s)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived