New Orleans investors want MLS team

BRYWHIT

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's KICK IT UP A NOTCH!

New Orleans Acadian F.C.

The name has elements that appeal to people who prefer American or European names.

But the Acadians didn't settle in the New Orleans area, hence the reason I'm currently surrounded by them...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

New Orleans Acadian F.C.

The name has elements that appeal to people who prefer American or European names.

But the Acadians didn't settle in the New Orleans area, hence the reason I'm currently surrounded by them...

Damn, I liked that name.

Union.png

I really like Acadian FC. Red white blue kits to reflect the Acadian flag.

How about

Confederacy of Dunces FC?

How about those...

Mets?

Packers?

Rangers?

Knicks?

Titans?

Owner of the New York Night Owls 1999 champions in the All World Football League.

New Orleans Acadian F.C.

AAAyyyyyyeeeeeeee!!!!!!

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

"United" is a professional soccer name. It tells the league that you're serious. That's why Man United chose it, that's why West Ham chose it, that's why DC chose it, and they were all right to do so.

...and here I thought that they chose "United" because two clubs merged this whole time...

If I remember correctly, this is true for West Ham, and not for those Manc bastards.

If I remember correctly, this is true for West Ham, and not for those Manc bastards.

Yes, IIRC the reasoning behind Manchester United taking the name has been lost to the sands of time, but West Ham was a merger of two clubs.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

With all the problems that city has faced over the last two years, I can't believe they are even considering bringing a soccer team there. Forget about all the people that are STILL homeless over there from Katrina, let's bring in a sport no one cares about and throw a lot of money into it. It doesn't get more ridiculous than that.

I absolutley agree with you 100%... If those investors want to help New Orleans, help the city. The team is not in a position to financially support another major sports team (If you can call MLS that).

Maybe 10-15 years down the line... but right now, they should focus on keeping the Hornets and Saints, not try to get another team...

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

...and here I thought that they chose "United" because two clubs merged this whole time...

Manchester United's name came about, not because of a merger of two teams but because the gentleman who built Old Trafford. The team moved from the east side of Manchester to the west side. His reasoning was that the new team should "unite" the local community and thus he moved to change the name to Manchester United. Also, the other team on the east side came to be known as the team that Protestants rallied around, Manchester City. And so the Catholics "united" behind their new team, as the west side of Manchester was principally Catholic and the Eastlands was the Protestant side of Manchester. The gentleman who built the stadium also argued for a change from green and gold quartered jersseys to the now well known red shirts.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Manchester United's name came about, not because of a merger of two teams but because the gentleman who built Old Trafford. The team moved from the east side of Manchester to the west side. His reasoning was that the new team should "unite" the local community and thus he moved to change the name to Manchester United. Also, the other team on the east side came to be known as the team that Protestants rallied around, Manchester City. And so the Catholics "united" behind their new team, as the west side of Manchester was principally Catholic and the Eastlands was the Protestant side of Manchester. The gentleman who built the stadium also argued for a change from green and gold quartered jersseys to the now well known red shirts.

There you go. I had heard something near that, but never could find a source to back it up. Thanks!

Yes, IIRC the reasoning behind Manchester United taking the name has been lost to the sands of time, but West Ham was a merger of two clubs.

Nope. I'm afraid not. You're wrong on both counts.

West Ham was originally a company team named Thames Ironworks FC, after the shipbuilding yards where its players worked.

They turned pro, and shortly thereafter disbanded the club and re-formed with a new identity, one which was more suited to their new professional status - West Ham United. No club merger.

West Ham United history page

In fact, the only Premiership "United" so named due to a club merger is Newcastle. Sheffield United named itself after a cricket club, the others chose the name because they liked the "proper football" sound of it. Just like DC United.

Nope. I'm afraid not. You're wrong on both counts.

West Ham was originally a company team named Thames Ironworks FC, after the shipbuilding yards where its players worked.

They turned pro, and shortly thereafter disbanded the club and re-formed with a new identity, one which was more suited to their new professional status - West Ham United. No club merger.

West Ham United history page

In fact, the only Premiership "United" so named due to a club merger is Newcastle. Sheffield United named itself after a cricket club, the others chose the name because they liked the "proper football" sound of it. Just like DC United.

I've read it somewhere that the committee of Thames Iron Works FC didn't completely disband the team, but instead reinforced the twelve amateur players they retained with professional players. The "uniting" in a sense was a unification of professional and amateur athletes, and technically not of two distinct clubs. Either way, it doesn't really matter, and I don't have the energy to retrace my steps back to the source of this information.

MLS stands for Major League Soccer as a general fyi. That means that they are expected to afford a "major league" travel budget, have "major league" franchise fees (and this is key), and general "major league" financials.

You will be unable to convince a guy who plunked down all this money on a "major league" soccer team that he's now going to have his team play in the lower minor league with much less in terms of the franchise fee department. That's why relegation is a nonstarter in this country.

Now wait a second, there's minor leagues who have to travel long distances. I mean they don't travel extraordinarily long distances, but lets look at the USL first division. They have teams all over the country, and two in Canada, and a Puerto Rican team for crying out loud. And teams do travel to the other end of the country to play in other cities.

Maybe what needs to happen is USL-1 and MLS do promotion and relegation between the two. USL-1 teams have enough support that people will watch the games no matter what. And if the MLS ever becomes popular enough they could play it up and get the Americans interested, y'know the drama of relegation, and if your team does bad off it goes into the lower league. And then you could ham up the USL-1 Championship, whoever wins gets to go to the big leagues. God knows Americans love sports-related drama and promotion and relegation could be a viable source of it.

But about Sanfrecce Hiroshima, san is Japanese for three and frecce is Italian for arrow, hence three arrows. There was a daimyo (which is kinda like a king or lord) in the 1500's named Mori Motonari, who led the Mori clan in southwestern Japan, and through diplomacy and action defeated two more powerful clans and eventually ruled that entire region of Japan. Anyway he had three sons who he encouraged to work together, and one time he gave them each an arrow and told them to break it. Then he got three arrows together and told them to break them all at once, but none of them could. He then explained that one arrow could be broken easily, but three together couldn't.

So Sanfrecce is meant to emphasize teamwork. But more importantly it's a team name based off a local parable, and my proposition is the team name be based off a local story or legend. I don't know of any stories from Louisiana, but I'm sure there's one story that's really popular that everyone would get if they heard the team name.

Quest2copy.pngnflseattlelr4.png

fifaunitedstateschampsnc4.pngTottenhamHotspur.png

the Washington Krunk Presidentzzz

You left off the "of Anaheim" part.

He did on purpose, because that joke played itself out years ago. :rolleyes:

I feel I'm part of the reason for that.

Sorry.

MLS stands for Major League Soccer as a general fyi. That means that they are expected to afford a "major league" travel budget, have "major league" franchise fees (and this is key), and general "major league" financials.

You will be unable to convince a guy who plunked down all this money on a "major league" soccer team that he's now going to have his team play in the lower minor league with much less in terms of the franchise fee department. That's why relegation is a nonstarter in this country.

Now wait a second, there's minor leagues who have to travel long distances. I mean they don't travel extraordinarily long distances, but lets look at the USL first division. They have teams all over the country, and two in Canada, and a Puerto Rican team for crying out loud. And teams do travel to the other end of the country to play in other cities.

Maybe what needs to happen is USL-1 and MLS do promotion and relegation between the two. USL-1 teams have enough support that people will watch the games no matter what. And if the MLS ever becomes popular enough they could play it up and get the Americans interested, y'know the drama of relegation, and if your team does bad off it goes into the lower league. And then you could ham up the USL-1 Championship, whoever wins gets to go to the big leagues. God knows Americans love sports-related drama and promotion and relegation could be a viable source of it.

Did you even read what I said about the franchise fees? The VAST disparity in such things is why relegation will never fly in this country, at least with the ownership groups. (And since they call the shots, well, it ain't gonna happen).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived