Edmonton Oil Kings

Frankie

The Oil Kings have unveiled their new sweaters, during a press conference yesterday in Edmonton.

135294-42248.jpg

Original article at: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news...17-1e26717dab7e

Personally, I thought they could have done a little bit more with their design. I understand that the team wanted to have something traditional and conservative, but I find the sweater too be extremely generic. They look like an amateur version of the Moncton Wildcats.

I love several CHL jerseys, like Chicoutimi, London, St. Mikes, Kelowna... and was hoping Edmonton would be able to do something that resonated like those jerseys. Unfortunately, for me, this falls flat.

BTW, notice at the top of the Oil Kings crest, they have EST 1950. I find that extremely interesting for an expansion club, and it is clear that they are carrying over the history of the previous franchise, much like the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL.

Juventus.png

Heh, I was waiting for photos of these to surface. I heard people describing them yesterday as "Montreal Canadiens" jerseys ... yeah, not so much. And red being the dominant jersey colour is weird given how small a role it plays in the logo.

All in all, yeah, they could have done a lot better on the whole package.

When I saw the jerseys I was disappointed (not just because I am Calgarian) because I thought they had a "slapped together" type of feel to them. There is barely any red in the Oil Kings' logo (so little that it could be missed) and red is typically associated with Calgary teams.

I think they could have used orange instead of red (and added some orange outlines to the Oil Kings script in the logo) and the jersey would have come off well. The orange would have been reminiscient of the WHA Alberta Oilers. Missed opportunity.

The Oil Kings have unveiled their new sweaters, during a press conference yesterday in Edmonton.

135294-42248.jpg

Anyone else notice that only one of the jerseys pictured is fitted for CHL use?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

That actually is the original uniform. I agree, it doesn't look very great now, and it's probably too old school, but they should have executed them a lot better. The original uniforms had lace up collars and the logo was much bigger. The white edge around the logo was also bigger. If they replicated those three details, these may have been passable, otherwise they look like cheap beer league sweaters with those V necks.

an aside: I wonder if the small logo has anything to do with Reebok planning a "Edge" jersey for the CHL. Tighter means smaller logo's after all.

team1962BW.jpg

DEATH TO REEBOK

actually, the jerseys are similar to the same the Alberta Oilers wore in the WHA back in the early 70s. The "red" is actually a darker version of the orange used for the Alberta Oilers. I personally like these jerseys and will pick one up soon.

This is what the Oil Kings looked like back in the good ol' days of the Dub. I'm assuming the jersey color is actually a deep orange, not red.

That's pretty much what they looked like when I was a kid; that's what I was hoping they would like today. While I'd have preferred to see the lace-up collar, I'll take these over most of the hideous crap you see around junior hockey.

Don't see the reason for the red considering the logo is mostly gold, but if that's what they used to wear back in the 50s and they're picking up where that team left off, then it only makes sense to keep the same jerseys.

stoneraizersig.jpg

Don't see the reason for the red considering the logo is mostly gold, but if that's what they used to wear back in the 50s and they're picking up where that team left off, then it only makes sense to keep the same jerseys.

Hey, the 70s, the 70s. I'm merely getting old; not ancient. :therock:

This is what the Oil Kings looked like back in the good ol' days of the Dub. I'm assuming the jersey color is actually a deep orange, not red.

That's pretty much what they looked like when I was a kid; that's what I was hoping they would like today. While I'd have preferred to see the lace-up collar, I'll take these over most of the hideous crap you see around junior hockey.

Such as...?

In the Dub, especially, I think most of the uniforms look pretty good. Swift Current needs to go back and Kelowna's leaves a little to be desired but overall the teams look pretty sharp.

Archived