Steve Spurrier Speaks Up

It should not be above the capitol but I don't see the issue with in on the burial ground, next thing you will be removing it from the General Lee in the next Dukes of Hazzard movie should we be put through such torture they make another one.

My point is that the original Confederate flag, the "Stars and bars", doesn't have the same racist connection the Confederate battle flag (or naval jack) does, so why not use the "stars and bars" instead of the tainted battle flag/naval jack?

If the KKK was able to co-opt the Confederate battle flag and assign a racial connotation to it, what makes you think that a different Confederate flag couldn't be similarly co-opted by the same people, and for the same reasons?

I have no personal stance on the flag; my family wasn't in this country at the time of the Civil War, and I was raised in the North. I can see both sides of the argument. It IS a part of our shared history, and history can be painful. But just as the KKK made the connection between the flag and racism, should we also be able to undo that association and let the flag stand as a relic of history? It only stands as a symbol of racism because we have allowed the narrowminded pinheads in their white robes to make it so; insodoing, it has robbed Southerners who lost family in the Civil War of a means to honor their fallen dead without bringing race into that memorialization.

Still, the Confederate flag is not onthe same level as the swastika. The difference between the Confederate flag(s) and the swastika is that the Confederate flags weren't made an explicit symbol of racism until decades after the CSA ceased to be, and it has only been a tool of the KKK to make a racist symbol out of something that wasn't intrinsically racist. The swastika, on the other hand, was the flag of the Nazi party and came to represent all things German at that time as a national emblem and national flag, including the violent racial policies of the ruling party. A closer parallel to the Confederate flag would be if people were to try to stop people from speaking German, since that was the language of the Nazis; though the language itself was not an explicitly racist tool, it was the language of the people who enacted horrible policies, and were people to make a similar association between German and racial hatred, a similar call for the end of German could ensue. Ich wille das nicht.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ornery black man's point of view: Who f**ckin' cares?! The Confederacy LOST! I'm free and that's what matters. As long as people aren't demanding I wave a Confederate flag I could care less. I guess it could be found offensive, but so can the black power fist, rap music, and when I refer to my close friends as n-words. South Carolina, like many other southern states, have very strong connections to this flag.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

It should not be above the capitol but I don't see the issue with in on the burial ground, next thing you will be removing it from the General Lee in the next Dukes of Hazzard movie should we be put through such torture they make another one.

Why do you think it should it not be above the capital? It seems you are acknowledging the offense that is associated with it. It seems that you are making this slight concession because there is just a little PC in you, just creeping out. Next: Fully PC--you won't even think it's ok to call black women "nappy headed hos." Soon thereafter, you'll get pissed off at someone making sterotypes about gays. And finally, you'll be a homosexual campaigning for Dennis Kucinich. You're on the way down hill. I, for one, will miss you and I suspect the GOP and the heterosexual community will as well.

As for the Genaral Lee, there is a huge difference between some private venture using it (and letting us decide whether or not it bothers us enough to not patronize it--or in this case, "watch"it) and the State.

There is nothing wrong with flying the flag of the south on a confederate burial ground, its historical.

Then I assume it is OK to fly swastika flags on Nazi burial grounds?

-------

Though I do find it interesting that the only two (as far as I know) black posters on this thread do not find it to be a big deal. Nevertheless, I think it is inappropriate. Yeah, we have larger fish to fry. But this fish can, and should, be fried in a matter of minutes.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yeah, we have larger fish to fry. But this fish can, and should, be fried in a matter of minutes.

I'm hungry. Thanks.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

They have made a second one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800328/ No word on whether or not it's been thoroughly cleansed for our liberal PC sensibilities.

That movie trashed everything the original dukes were based on.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

They have made a second one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800328/ No word on whether or not it's been thoroughly cleansed for our liberal PC sensibilities.

Just to be clear, that's moonshine, car chasing and car jumping, right?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The original Dukes of Hazzard was a family show. The recent theater movie and The Beginning clearly were not.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I thought it was civil disobedience and a Huey Long-esque redistribution of wealth.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I was born in England, raised in Canada and make my living and resident in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle), so I really can't have an educated opinion on the confederate flag.

What's cool about Spurrier is, being a southerner, he's basically has a leg to stand on regarding his opinion of the flag. I am unsure why a state insists on flying a flag that has its history tied to division and slavery. Like it or not, that is the legacy of that flag.

But, if the majority of the citizens in that state want that flag to fly...it flies...that's how democracy works. But, democracy also allows Spurrier to voice his opinion and personally I am glad he did.

No there is no racist connection to this flag that was a PC creation.

Um, no. It wasn't. The Confederate battle flag/naval jack was adopted as a symbol by the KKK during the Civil Rights movement in the late 1950's/1960's. Until then the KKK had used their own banner as well as the American flag.

Then during the Civil Rights movement the KKK adopted the CSA battle flag and naval jack as banners of their racist ideology. Since then the CSA battle flag and naval jack have had a racist taint to them.

So no Tank, the PC police didn't turn the CSA battle flag/naval jack into a racist symbol, the KKK did.

You know the swastika was originally a symbol of good luck... so should the German parliament buildings still fly the Nazi flag?

The Nazi swastika didn't. If a culture who identifies the traditional swastika with good luck wants to fly it on a flag, all the power to them.

I'm not sure what your point was. We both agree that the southern States shouldn't fly the CSA naval jack or battle flag because it has racist connections. I was merely countering Tank's argument that the flag(s) aren't racist symbols, explaining to him that they are racist symbols due to the KKK's adoption of them in the 50's and 60's. No where did I say the CSA flag(s) past "non-racist" history should mean it should be allowed to fly.

My point is that the original Confederate flag, the "Stars and bars", doesn't have the same racist connection the Confederate battle flag (or naval jack) does, so why not use the "stars and bars" instead of the tainted battle flag/naval jack?

If the KKK was able to co-opt the Confederate battle flag and assign a racial connotation to it, what makes you think that a different Confederate flag couldn't be similarly co-opted by the same people, and for the same reasons?

Essentially it would be who would use it first. Prior to the KKK adopting the CSA battle flag and naval jack they really didn't have any status other then that of historical flags. The CSA "stars and bars" still has that status. The KKK doesn't use it.

So if you got a movement of people who want to remember the history of the South and want to use a flag to represent that history, and they use the "stars and bars" over the battle flag & naval jack, and make a huge point about it due to connections with racism, then in the public's mind the "stars and bars" will have been connected with a historical purpose rather then with the KKK.

But, if the majority of the citizens in that state want that flag to fly...it flies...that's how democracy works. But, democracy also allows Spurrier to voice his opinion and personally I am glad he did.

The US Constitution does not give the majority the right of mob-rule. In fact it does just the opposite. It protects the minority from the tyranny of the majority.

I was born in England, raised in Canada and make my living and resident in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle), so I really can't have an educated opinion on the confederate flag.

What's cool about Spurrier is, being a southerner, he's basically has a leg to stand on regarding his opinion of the flag. I am unsure why a state insists on flying a flag that has its history tied to division and slavery. Like it or not, that is the legacy of that flag.

South Carolina was the first state to secede from the Union (By about 4 months), and was traditionally the leader in States Rights arguments in the Antebellum US. South Carolinians tend to be quite proud of their independent streak, much like Texans tend to be. That's the short version of it. :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

South Carolina was the first state to secede from the Union (By about 4 months), and was traditionally the leader in States Rights arguments in the Antebellum US. South Carolinians tend to be quite proud of their independent streak, much like Texans tend to be. That's the short version of it. :)

http://tcotrel.tripod.com/statemottos.html

For South Carolina: Remember The Civil War? We Didn't Actually Surrender

EDIT-upon further scanning, the site for which the above links to is somewhat right wing, be forewarned.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

http://tcotrel.tripod.com/statemottos.html

For South Carolina: Remember The Civil War? We Didn't Actually Surrender

EDIT-upon further scanning, the site for which the above links to is somewhat right wing, be forewarned.

I have to admit some of those are funny:

New Jersey: You Want A ##$%##! Motto? I Got Yer ##$%##! Motto Right Here!

Wisconsin: Come Cut Our Cheese.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived