Buffalo tops NHL Sales List

Fred T. Jane

From... http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index...articleId=55105 (Registration/Subscription Required)

HUFFLING WITH BUFFALO: NHL licensing chief Brian Jennings tells us that for the first time in more than a decade, Detroit will be displaced as the top seller in overall NHL licensed merchandise.

Making the climb to the top spot will be the Buffalo Sabres, who are overcoming the challenges of playing in a small market with the help of a popular new logo and the most wins of any NHL club.

The NHL fiscal year ends in June, but Jennings said he is confident the Sabres will finish on top in licensing sales.

?There?s a national demand that started early with their new jersey and picked up as the team performed in the regular season,? he said.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So everyone's worst nightmare and the opposite of all our expectations have come true. Now they're going to win the stanley cup and keep them forever. Just goes to show what a good product on the playing surface can do.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yep and American Idol is the top rated TV show but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Sabres = Great team

Buffaslug = Ugly logo and uniform

With that said, I'm still rooting for them to win the Stanley Cup.

In spite of their ugly logo and uniform.

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

Considering they got a whole new set of jersey's they better be one of the top, if not the top seller, since fans will go and buy new gear, no matter how bad it is.

In fact, I dont mind the jersey itself, but still not a fan of the logo

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Not bad for a team that was so close to moving to San Diego in 2003.

San Diego?!

Got a link or anything to back that up?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The ducks will have a new logo next season

A new logo already hugger?

As for San Diego Rams,

The Sabres was on the verge of folding but the NHL decided to move the Sabres unless Buffalo had a new owner within 90 days.

San Diego, Houston, Cleveland, Seattle, and Portland was the posibble location for the Sabres.

HATING LIFE SINCE 1996

As for San Diego Rams,

The Sabres was on the verge of folding but the NHL decided to move the Sabres unless Buffalo had a new owner within 90 days.

San Diego, Houston, Cleveland, Seattle, and Portland was the posibble location for the Sabres.

I don't know who fed you that particular line of felgercarb, but I can assure you that the Sabres, while bankrupt, were not on the verge of folding, and that of the markets you have listed, only two would actually work for the NHL (Portland and Houston). San Diego and Seattle are disqualified due to arena issues, and Cleveland was disqualified by Columbus.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As for San Diego Rams,

I don't know who fed you that particular line of felgercarb, but I can assure you that the Sabres, while bankrupt, were not on the verge of folding, and that of the markets you have listed, only two would actually work for the NHL (Portland and Houston). San Diego and Seattle are disqualified due to arena issues, and Cleveland was disqualified by Columbus.

I'd heard it on XX 1090am Rams and the plan was for the Sabres to play 2-4 Years at the COX Arena while a new Arena is built if they had land the Sabres Rams.

HATING LIFE SINCE 1996

As for San Diego Rams,

I'd heard it on XX 1090am Rams and the plan was for the Sabres to play 2-4 Years at the COX Arena while a new Arena is built if they had land the Sabres Rams.

Because sports radio stations are always the best sources of information... :rolleyes:

I find it rather difficult to believe that San Diego would have ponied up the cash for a new arena, when they won't pony it up for the Chargers.

/threadjack

Today, we are all otaku.

Making the climb to the top spot will be the Buffalo Sabres, who are overcoming the challenges of playing in a small market with the help of a popular new logo and the most wins of any NHL club.

I really think the key here is "most wins of any NHL club."

I'd like to know where sales of the slug would be if they won 12 games this year. I smell a bandwagon, not good design.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I really think the key here is "most wins of any NHL club."

I'd like to know where sales of the slug would be if they won 12 games this year. I smell a bandwagon, not good design.

JeffB

I would say this is pretty much dead-on. I live in Western New York and I can tell you that this area is totally Sabres-crazy. I love the Sabres, but I hate, hate, hate bandwagon jumpers so it's kind of frustrating out here at times. Case in point: I wanted to kill when I saw people leaving with a few minutes left in Friday's game. It's the freaking playoffs, the team has a knack for coming from behind plus you paid an assload of money for your tickets. Why on earth would you leave? Everybody and their momma is sporting Sabres gear, but as soon as the team falls out of the spotlight this area will return to being a Bills city. Fan's in Philidelphia and New York get bad raps, but at least they are passionate. Sometimes I really think Buffalo has the worst fans. So yeah, if the team wasn't successful there is no chance in hell they even crack the top 5 in sales.

And to the dude who stated that the Sabres were on the verge of folding or moving I just want to say that you were fed a huge bowl of crap from your radio station. There were multiple ownership options in the area. The first person to step up (Mark Hammister) didn't follow through, but Tom Golisano came right in and snatched the team up. So yeah, they went bankrupt and things got sketchy, but it never got as far as even disscussions about the team folding or moving. Plus San Diego is probably the worst possible place for a hockey team. I mean really, c'mon dude.

When the Mighty Ducks Disney-era merchandise was released it toped NHL sales.

Kangaroo Jack was the number one movie in America.

American Idol is always at the top of the ratings.

The Buffaslug is leading the NHL in merchandise sales.

1) Public opinion is one of the worst ways to tell the quality of something and....

2) Given the way the Sabres' season has gone, almost any logo would have been a hit. If the Sabres had a mediocre season or worse the Buffaslug would be heading the way of the (superior) NY Islanders' Fisherman.

Yeah, color me unimpressed that the merchandise sales of one of only two teams to completely revamp their identity were highest when that team was arguably the best in the league and reverted to a color scheme absolutely beloved by their fans (including retro jersey that don't feature the ugly new logo).

It's a simple issue of circumstance, not quality design.

Archived