Marlins to Wear 1997 "Throwbacks"

rmackman

I guess I'm going to have to duck and cover here, but I actually liked the 2003 update. I've never been a fan of teal and most definitely hated the original teal caps for both the Marlins and the Mariners. While I'm not a huge fan of black, the 2003-onward Marlins -- to me -- have always looked great.

EDIT: But then again, I think the all-black Ravens, Saints, and Jaguars also look terrific, so what do I know?

So basically you're not a big fan of black, but you love it when teams wear all black. :rolleyes: Isn't that like saying, "Well, I'm a vegetarian...so I'll just have some fish."

Well, I did say "what do I know?" But sometimes our heads think something that our hearts don't believe. And here we are.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they def. need to bring those back. those are sharp. although the players didnt seem to care for them according to the local paper

Which paper reported that? Sun-Sentinel or Miami Herald? I was curious as to the players feelings on the jerseys. I miss the good old days. You can literally watch the black creep up on the unis over the years.

12040693.jpg

12040694.jpg

12040696.jpg

12040704.jpg

12040705.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

they def. need to bring those back. those are sharp. although the players didnt seem to care for them according to the local paper

Which paper reported that? Sun-Sentinel or Miami Herald? I was curious as to the players feelings on the jerseys. I miss the good old days. You can literally watch the black creep up on the unis over the years.

12040693.jpg

12040694.jpg

12040696.jpg

12040704.jpg

12040705.jpg

i read it in the herald. they didn't touch on it too much. just a paragraph about how some players didn't care for them (forgot who it was that said the vests should be used in basketball) although d-train mentioned that he liked them and was looking forward to crossing home plate ala craig counsell. never happened obviously. :wacko:

A Marlins throwback? :blink:

I guess this meets the absolute minimum standards for being allowable. It's a minimum of 10 years old and celebrates a World Series victory. Still, any sooner or without the championship behind it, I'd have to say it was not allowed in my world. Without the championship to back it up, I'd be tempted to make them wait another 5 or 10 years longer.

Is this why the Cubs never wear throwbacks? They haven't had a World Series to celebrate in 99 years. :P

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Did the Marlins at one time conduct a poll or survey to see maybe if it was the teal that ruined them having a fan base?

Doubt it, because when I was going to Marlins games for a couple years -- those old teal caps were all the fans wore, or at least teal was in the majority. I was surprised.

Of course, I was there when teal was downgraded to a trim color... and I agree that the set they had right before the emphasis on black was a better choice. Although I'd like to see them go back to the all-teal, I doubt that would happen, so a move to the teal pinstripes and wordmark, even with black sleeves and cap, would be OK, IMO.

I'd love to see this, if only for a game or two:

scott_pose_autograph.jpg

Also, I can't quite explain why, but this picture makes me feel like 1993 was actually 1985.

EDIT: Actually, of course I can. Tight pants. That end before the shoe. And the goofy mustache.

wpefl13.jpg

Don't forget actual high-top cleats, which are virtually impossible to find these days!

I think that this was one of the best baseball uniform and imagine if the Marlins still had the Teal helmet.

All of the best uniforms comes from Florida.

Who could forget the multi-color Devil Rays uniform from 98-00.

As for the NBA, They almost kill the throwback phenomina cause teams only wear throwback 20x a years and i'm suprised that the Hornets or the Timberwolves has not wore their original jersey.

BTW...

I'm still hoping & waiting when the Padres will wear those beautiful browns jersey from 85-90. :D

12040693.jpg

Is that catcher wearing "09"!? I have never seen that in baseball...

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I think Benito did that so you can see his jersey number, instead of having it hidden behind the catching gear....

Ah, very interesting... If I recall correctly, he didn't do that when he was with the Royals, but that wouldn't be the only thing he didn't do in Kansas City.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I think Benito did that so you can see his jersey number, instead of having it hidden behind the catching gear....

Ah, very interesting... If I recall correctly, he didn't do that when he was with the Royals, but that wouldn't be the only thing he didn't do in Kansas City.

If you played for the Royals, would you want people knowing who you are?

12040693.jpg

Is that catcher wearing "09"!? I have never seen that in baseball...

He starting wearing the 09 in San Diego before moving on to Florida.

I know they didn't wear them in the 97 WS but I think they should have worn this instead. It's not a throwback if it was used only 5 years ago.

teal.png

That's a pretty sharp looking jersey, IMO. I don't know why the Marlins toned down their use of teal so much, I thought they had it down pat; and as a Detroit Pistons fan, I know all about the use of teal gone awry.

Archived