Marlins to Wear 1997 "Throwbacks"

rmackman

I remember during game 7 of that series, despite all the excitement, all i could think about was how awesome the vests looked. I kept looking thinking to myself, thats gotta be one shirt with black sleeves. No way would a team wear TWO shirts!!!!!! :P

Actually though, looking at those pictures, I am wondering if those are just one shirt. The faux-vest like the old Angels and Blue Jays?

I just can't tell.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does anyone else realize that the mariners also used to have a teal alternate jersey and cap...i mean i guess both teams felt it was too "softball" like...at least thats what i heard here down south

I think it's actually more "uh oh, teal was the fad of the 90s, we better move on to the next thing!". That said, while I'd love for the Marlins to bring back more teal, I think navy works a lot better for the Mariners than teal did.

I'm not a big fan of teal (who is?), but it works for certain teams (Marlins, Hornets, Sharks). The Marlins should definitely bring back more teal in their look. I had one of their sweet teal/black bill hat back when they joined MLB. One of these days I'm going to get one of those off Ebay.

Actually though, looking at those pictures, I am wondering if those are just one shirt. The faux-vest like the old Angels and Blue Jays?

I just can't tell.

i can assure you that they are real vests.

As can I, I have a gamer from '97 that I'm looking at right now, which has a black undershirt as well. They are definitely seperate pieces.

A Marlins throwback? :blink:

I guess this meets the absolute minimum standards for being allowable. It's a minimum of 10 years old and celebrates a World Series victory. Still, any sooner or without the championship behind it, I'd have to say it was not allowed in my world. Without the championship to back it up, I'd be tempted to make them wait another 5 or 10 years longer.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I guess this meets the absolute minimum standards for being allowable. It's a minimum of 10 years old and celebrates a World Series victory. Still, any sooner or without the championship behind it, I'd have to say it was not allowed in my world. Without the championship to back it up, I'd be tempted to make them wait another 5 or 10 years longer.

Well, the Orlando Magic were wearing throwbacks to their original pinstripe uniforms a few years ago. T-Mac was still with them then, so his jersey was basically just a Penny Hardaway jersey with McGrady instead of Hardaway on it. And they've never won a championship. Only been to the Finals once and got swept by Houston.

Well, the Orlando Magic were wearing throwbacks to their original pinstripe uniforms a few years ago. T-Mac was still with them then, so his jersey was basically just a Penny Hardaway jersey with McGrady instead of Hardaway on it. And they've never won a championship. Only been to the Finals once and got swept by Houston.

Yeah, but the NBA is a joke. They bastardize the whole concept of throwbacks. Throwbacks are nice if there is a reason, but having a "hardwood classic night" just for the sake of it is stupid.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah, but the NBA is a joke. They bastardize the whole concept of throwbacks. Throwbacks are nice if there is a reason, but having a "hardwood classic night" just for the sake of it is stupid.

I agree totally. I'm sick of NBA Throwbacks. They have no relevence except to have all the hip-hop artists wearing them and hoping that makes them sell. I was just mentioning the Magic to point out another irrelevent throwback (in the sense that the franchise hadn't been around for very long.) Though I believe the Marlins have a good reason to wear there's, a 10th anniversary of a World Championship.

I remember during game 7 of that series, despite all the excitement, all i could think about was how awesome the vests looked. I kept looking thinking to myself, thats gotta be one shirt with black sleeves. No way would a team wear TWO shirts!!!!!! :P

I just can't tell.

It's two shirts. I own an authentic one =).

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

212d321f-5633-42b6-8bd3-2c9d15ce4f33.jpg

54c8ea40-3e56-4af4-8a04-ac6a39e04a5c.jpg

a7c901d5-e2b2-4770-8be4-544e5725a26c.jpg

416bdddf-7c31-4010-9444-d2595df73ad8.jpg

a9e456d5-f2f4-48ce-8c77-12a8b98e3871.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Those would be great alternates. It would have been better if they used more teal (hat, sleeves) but they were going for their World Series look. They were still wearing this years hats, they should have brought back grey underbrims.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

30527208.jpg

30523622.jpg

30526623.jpg

30526640.jpg

These jerseys look absolutely amazing. They definitely need to make a return.

On a side note...I know that they lost the '97 WS, but I'm still quite upset that the Indians didn't even attempt to join in on the throwback action. Fans love seeing throwbacks, no matter how significant or insignificant they may be. What's it gonna hurt them now? They've got the second-best record in baseball and not a single player remaining from that team.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

On a side note...I know that they lost the '97 WS, but I'm still quite upset that the Indians didn't even attempt to join in on the throwback action. Fans love seeing throwbacks, no matter how significant or insignificant they may be. What's it gonna hurt them now? They've got the second-best record in baseball and not a single player remaining from that team.

Besides the name plates and other small changes, the blue alternate is the same as what the Tribe wore in Game 7. It'd be less noticeable than the Marlins' throwback.

And by small changes I mean one pant stripe (red/blue in 1997, blue/blue now), the manufacturer's logo and the 1997 All-Star logo on the right sleeve.

A frontal shot would be exactly the same.

God, I'm so glad the Indians won this ridiculous "throwback" game. Stupid Jose Mesa!!! GROWL!!! Not that I'm still bitter or anything...

but, yeah... when I was watching highlights, it didn't even dawn on me that these were throwbacks (don't see many Marlins games... somehow I still thought they wore these vests). It's too bad they're not a part of the normal uni combos. But I guess it's better for me because I have less opportunities to have the painful memories dredged up.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

I guess I'm going to have to duck and cover here, but I actually liked the 2003 update. I've never been a fan of teal and most definitely hated the original teal caps for both the Marlins and the Mariners. While I'm not a huge fan of black, the 2003-onward Marlins -- to me -- have always looked great.

EDIT: But then again, I think the all-black Ravens, Saints, and Jaguars also look terrific, so what do I know?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Did the Marlins at one time conduct a poll or survey to see maybe if it was the teal that ruined them having a fan base? If so they need to throw it in the trash and revert back to their old uniforms because they are a a classic. I remember when they came out, even as a Mets fan, I had to have one of those teal caps

I guess I'm going to have to duck and cover here, but I actually liked the 2003 update. I've never been a fan of teal and most definitely hated the original teal caps for both the Marlins and the Mariners. While I'm not a huge fan of black, the 2003-onward Marlins -- to me -- have always looked great.

EDIT: But then again, I think the all-black Ravens, Saints, and Jaguars also look terrific, so what do I know?

So basically you're not a big fan of black, but you love it when teams wear all black. :rolleyes: Isn't that like saying, "Well, I'm a vegetarian...so I'll just have some fish."

spacer.png

Archived