Vancouver Canucks logo

rmered

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What logo typifies the name Canuck, that's not a stick and rink kids drawing, not a flying skate and not a whale?

Surely not a Beaver, or a Mountie?

It's got me stuffed.

"Let me help you with that".....

Hmm, how about some hoser drinking a beer and eating doughnuts? :flagusa:

:D

...and saying "eh" after every damn sentence.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

I'm a Canucks fan, and let me first say that I like the current logo. I think the stick-in-rink is the worst of their logos so far, followed by the skate and the orca. But, if they must change logos, I only hope they don't go with a lumberjack theme. Every concept I see using a lumberjack logo looks really cheesy.

With a name like Canucks, I think they're better off with a logo that represents the region (like the current one), rather than something that kind of represents the name, if you think of it in a certain way.

I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but I am looking forward to the unveiling, whenever that may be.

God bless you, finally a Canucks fan who feels that the stick-in-rink is HIDEOUS! Definitely with those horrible green and blue colors! I thought finding a Canucks fan who agreed with me was a lost cause..

FloridaGators1.png

A while back, I tried my hand at a new Canucks logo. Since no other major North American city starts with the letter "V", and the team has a history with it, it was a key element in my design. And since "Canucks" is to "Canadians" as "Yankees is to "Americans" (kinda sorta more or less...), the Maple Leaf is a valid inclusion. Johnny Canuck - in his various forms - is a great idea, since the stick/rink is asinine, the skate is cryptic and the orca is a friggin' corporate emblem.

Originally, I did all 3 color sets. Since this is not a Concepts post, I am not putting up all 3 - only the blue/green, which is the direction the team is rumored to be headed (my personal fave: the "Germany colors"). Anyway, it's the logo I'm talking about, found at the bottom left. Simple, but it gets the point across. And for those worried about 2 teams using the national symbol simultaneously... ever notice how many teams have stars on their uniforms? It'll be OK.

vancanucks7180.png

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but I am looking forward to the unveiling, whenever that may be.

They will be unveiled at the start of training camp.

"Just before" training camp according to Zimmerman, but yeah, late August anyways.

I don't mean to hijack this thread ( I'll start another in Concepts ) ... but since I learned on here that the original Johnny Canuck was a WWII-era pilot ... basically Canada's version of Captian America, not some Paul Bunyan-esque character of campfires ... I had to put something together for this (I've been looking for reasons to put pencil to paper more often). I approached it as though the word Canuck simply meant HERO (who is Canadian).

So with that thought in mind, I created this concept as a reinvention of Vancouver's identity. In the goggles, I dropped in an homage to the original Canucks logo.

Keep in mind this is a reinvention, not really a plan for what I think the club SHOULD or COULD do ... just coming at this thing from another angle. I'd love to get some feedback guys.

vancouver_id_01.jpg

I like the direction you went with that identity package. Very clever with the original logo homage in the goggles. I do think that I would limit the grey in the identity to the logo and as a secondary colour in a 3 coloured number only. I think it is because the grey really makes the concept reminiscent of the old Hartford Whalers. It could be just me though. I do think that a green stripe that goes from 3 inches wide out to 5 inches wide as it goes down the side of the hockey pant (possibly curved on each outside edge?) outlined by thick white piping could lead to some interesting visuals in HD. :)

That's an awesome logo, John. However, I don't think the Canucks would ever go in this direction.

I love the stick in rink logo, it's classic, the shade of blue is perfect, and the uniforms are just so simple, it works well. All I really want is for the Canucks to find a good solid logo that says "Vancouver" and stick with it instead of switching it up every 8 years or so.

thanks guys ... and I couldn't agree more BCBoy .. this team needs an identity already. I definitely don't think this is it at all .. but it was a little experiment that came out with something nice.

And Reaper ... I noticed after throwing down those rough uniforms, that it felt a bit too Whalersy and not Canucky enough.

oh yeah, and heres some reference for ya:

"Johnny Canuck was a hero without super powers, alien planet birth, or divine ancestry. While Superman and Nelvana of the Northern Lights battled enemies at home, Johnny Canuck was Canada's champion of the Second World War, serving as an air force captain and secret agent."

stamp_johnnycanuck.jpg

That is a fantastic design, JS. I seriously doubt that the actual uniforms will surpass these.

However, here are my minor suggestions:

- lighten the blue a little bit, to something closer to royal than navy.

- de-emphasize the grey in favour of more green

Love the logo.

Is that Vinny Lecavalier?

Your logo looks nice for a fantasy team but it's not for the Vancouver Canucks.

Johnny Canuck in terms of the WHL Canucks had nothing to do with aviation and should not have anything to do with aviation.

He's not a bodiless head - or a character that looks like a football player ala the giants either for that matter.

Johnny Canuck was a hockey player skating in profile and should remain that way.

That's the Johnny Canuck brand.

I know you have the talent to pull something great off but I really hope you don't considering what happened with the Sabres logo- that's really a compliment to your previous work.

The last thing (true) Canuck fans need is for the team to blow off a good logo concept because someone put out an unsolicited design and they didn't want a lawsuit.

I change my mind, keep it up with the aviator design. Looks great.

DEATH TO REEBOK

That is a fantastic design, JS. I seriously doubt that the actual uniforms will surpass these.

I couldn't agree more. The only thing I don't like is the little beard scruff he has.

I would buy one of these if the Canucks wore them. Heck, I might actually have to adopt them as my NHL club. :flagcanada:

So long as they don't make the pilot a bear or a chimp or a bird they might get away with it.

:lol:

B000053GTB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

No hockey team would be dumb enough to take their identity from a movie for little kids. I mean, again.

I don't mean to hijack this thread ( I'll start another in Concepts ) ... but since I learned on here that the original Johnny Canuck was a WWII-era pilot ... basically Canada's version of Captian America, not some Paul Bunyan-esque character of campfires ... I had to put something together for this (I've been looking for reasons to put pencil to paper more often). I approached it as though the word Canuck simply meant HERO (who is Canadian).

So with that thought in mind, I created this concept as a reinvention of Vancouver's identity. In the goggles, I dropped in an homage to the original Canucks logo.

Keep in mind this is a reinvention, not really a plan for what I think the club SHOULD or COULD do ... just coming at this thing from another angle. I'd love to get some feedback guys.

Not bad at all as a logo. Do you have a closer look at the actual jersey? I can't make out what you have as a shoulder patch there.

wow ... thanks for the feedback guys ... I appreciate it a ton.

I made a few changes and comments based on all the feedback ... but I don't want to hijack this thread and make it about my concept. So, if you guys could please, follow up over at this thread here ...

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...mp;#entry766334

thanks again everyone.

JS, fantastic logo. Very classy and appropriate for a team looking to update their look.

My only concern is that the goggles look less like goggles. I wish you'd emphasize them a bit more. Also, did you try a profile version of the head? I'm wondering what that would look like. Other than that its a brilliant solution.

Archived