2007 NFL Uni Updates

SizzlinSabres

The Vikings will be wearing throwbacks for the Sept. 30th game against the Packers. They're wearing them in honor of Chuck Foreman, who is being inducted into the ring of honor that day.

100_0211_cropped.jpg

p3849101reg.jpg

HELL YEAH

Isn't it a little embarassing to wear something this perfect after changing to their new monstrosities? Won't it be obvious that they made a mistake?

Well to us at least.....the general population--well......

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, in all fairness the Packers put out a lot of merchandise in the 1970s that was yellow, not gold. Merchandising has gotten a lot more sophisticated in recent years.

I don't know what you are trying to say here. Did you reverse the colors? I don't want to get into the yellow/gold argument again, but the Packers pants and helmets are yellow. Were you saying they used an incorrect shade of yellow?

If you're familiar with the yellow/gold argument, then you know the color used by the Packers, Steelers, Chiefs, Vikings et al. is Athletic Gold. Not the same as metallic gold, but neither is it the same as yellow.

Using yellow in place of athletic gold is the same as using sky blue in place of teal - it's a similar color, but not the correct color.

Well, in all fairness the Packers put out a lot of merchandise in the 1970s that was yellow, not gold. Merchandising has gotten a lot more sophisticated in recent years.

I don't know what you are trying to say here. Did you reverse the colors? I don't want to get into the yellow/gold argument again, but the Packers pants and helmets are yellow. Were you saying they used an incorrect shade of yellow?

If you're familiar with the yellow/gold argument, then you know the color used by the Packers, Steelers, Chiefs, Vikings et al. is Athletic Gold. Not the same as metallic gold, but neither is it the same as yellow.

Using yellow in place of athletic gold is the same as using sky blue in place of teal - it's a similar color, but not the correct color.

And all of those teams you mention changed from 116 C to 1235 C in 1997. 116 C is very often referred to as Yellow in most circles. So is 1235 C, so is 136 C, so is 123 C, blah, blah. Yellow, Gold, To-MAY-To, To-MAH-to.

Athletic gold is a fancy name for yellow, for teams who don't want to use "yellow" because it "doesn't sound intimidating". There can be different shades of yellow. The Indians don't use the same navy as the Yankees, but it is still navy. Likewise, the 49ers and Saints both use gold, but their golds are different shades. If I am wrong, please provide examples of yellow and athletic gold as used in sports.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Color descriptions are pointless - as I've said on many occasions. This is why I deal with actual color values, not what some marketing monkey wants to call a color. One man's Yellow is another man's Gold, is another man's Orange. I could call the Packers' Gold "Green Bay Packers Fluffy Omelet Yellow" and as long as the corresponding Pantone value (for printing purposes) is 1235 C, who cares?

Here's the Packers' Gold:

ColorValues_PANTONE1235C.jpg

As you can see, it's basically base color PANTONE Yellow (90.6%) combined with PANTONE Warm Red (9.4%). How much less Warm Red would be required before it stops being "Athletic Gold" and begins being "Yellow"? Very subjective, I think. In fact, the Arizona Cardinals call this very same Pantone (it's in the beak of their logo) "Arizona Cardinals Yellow". Not Gold. The Indiana Pacers use this color as well. Depending on what you read, it's either called "Yellow" or "Gold".

Here's the older Packers' Gold - used from at least 1981 through 1996 from what I can gather:

ColorValues_PANTONE116C.jpg

More Yellow, less Warm Red. Still, they called it Gold. Many, many other franchises call this same exact Pantone color Yellow. And really, who cares what it's called?

For the record, the Pantone Textile color the Packers use for their Gold is called "Saffron". As in, the Yellow flower...

(and they called it Mellow Yellow...)

...and for the record, the Indians and the Yankees DO use the same Navy - at least in print. They use different fabric colors though.

And, the Saints, 49ers and Rams all use the same Gold...it's just that the Saints also use a myriad of alternate textile colors as well. We were just discussing this fact in another thread...

Thanks for the example, Pantone. I think it proves my point. I do see a difference in those colors, but they are almost identical. If you didn't have the colors next to eachother, I don't think you would be able to tell the difference when seeing them against a green shirt.

That is no different than what any other team goes through with merchandising. I have a handful of Bears t-shirts. Even among the Reebok shirts, there are different shades of navy. Sometimes the orange is a dull, faded looking orange, sometimes it is a bright orange. The difference in those oranges in much bigger than the difference between the Packers' official yellow and the standard color Pantone listed.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

"The Jets are also going to wear throwbacks.

I can confirm this because at my job, i saw them in a back to school manual. it was in black and white soi really can't tell you guys what they llok like."

Oh now I'm chomping at the bit...80's/90's style or Namath-era?

actually i think it will be the New York Titans era.

Yep, sure looks like it.

The NFL Shop has started selling them:

Reebok New York Jets/New York Titans Chad Pennington Authentic Jersey

Item no. 2783561

$214.99

p3849095reg.jpg

I love 'em.

Sweet. I reckon they're gonna use them on Thanksgiving?

I know that this is obvious, but it is too bad that Tennessee is not playing the Jets in NJ this year for a classic Titans v. Titans matchup. Of course the contrast of old school to new school would be glaring.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

"The Jets are also going to wear throwbacks.

I can confirm this because at my job, i saw them in a back to school manual. it was in black and white soi really can't tell you guys what they llok like."

Oh now I'm chomping at the bit...80's/90's style or Namath-era?

actually i think it will be the New York Titans era.

Yep, sure looks like it.

The NFL Shop has started selling them:

Reebok New York Jets/New York Titans Chad Pennington Authentic Jersey

Item no. 2783561

$214.99

p3849095reg.jpg

I love 'em.

Try purchasing the jersey using that link now...I just googled it as well, and every link says the product is temporarily out of stock...were they not supposed to unveil these til later on???

197228.jpg

that was a good movie btw. B)

Harry Hamlin, a golden owl and clamation, how could you go wrong with those ingredients.

wwwaufderaxemo2.jpg

I only come around here once in a while to annoy you people, and by people I mean you mutha :censored:as.

I do, too. I've always loved that patch.

In the 80's and 90s, I always wanted them to replace the picture of the helmet at mid-field with the Louisiana logo.

That would have been awesome. I wish they would do that now. Is field turf hard to paint? it seems when teams switched to field turf they replaced the midfield logo with something that takes less work to do.

I on the other hand can't stand the "state" logo. It was ok as a patch last year but anything more than that doesn't work. They're not the "Louisiana Saints" and anyone from that area knows that few cities differ so much from the rest of the state as New Orleans does from Louisiana. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying the city is better (or worse) than the rest of the state, just different, like night and day different. I'm also not saying people in the area shouldn't be fans. What I'm saying is, the team is the New Orleans Saints. Don't dilute their identity for marketing or any other purpose.

The "state" logo is good as an occasionally used secondary mark and nothing more.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I on the other hand can't stand the "state" logo. It was ok as a patch last year but anything more than that doesn't work. They're not the "Louisiana Saints" and anyone from that area knows that few cities differ so much from the rest of the state as New Orleans does from Louisiana. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying the city is better (or worse) than the rest of the state, just different, like night and day different. I'm also not saying people in the area shouldn't be fans. What I'm saying is, the team is the New Orleans Saints. Don't dilute their identity for marketing or any other purpose.

The "state" logo is good as an occasionally used secondary mark and nothing more.

It'd be like the Bears having a Illinois patch. Or the Giants/Jets. Sure there are fans outside of the city, but its just weird. Anytime I see one of those Cubs/Sox/Bears hats with the Illinois outline I just don't see it. Doesn't work to me.

Like you said with New Orleans, the major cities usually are so much different than the rest of the state that the only relationship is that you have to put hte state after the city name when mailing something.

It'd be like the Bears having a Illinois patch.

Or the Packers using a Wisconsin logo? :P

You have a point, but it makes a lot more sense in that Green Bay seems like a typical Wisconsin town and it's small enough that the fan base is by default drawn from a broader area. New Orleans is a different animal.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

It'd be like the Bears having a Illinois patch.

Or the Packers using a Wisconsin logo? :P

I could see the Packers using a Wiconsin logo sooner than the Bears/Cubs/Sox using an Illinois logo. Most of the folks in downstate IL are St. Louis fans, and might object to that representation.

Archived