Dallas Cowboys blue jerseys at home?

Badge Man

Somewhat related the cowboys wore blue throwbacks at home vs the Eagles this past Christmas and they lost 23-7. Soon as i saw them in blue I knew i was going to get what i wanted for Christmas. cowboys blue

I'm one of the few who can't stand that throwback set they've been wearing the last couple of seasons for the Thanksgiving day game.

The worst jerseys the Cowboys have had are that double star crap Jones brought out a few years ago (during the NFL 75th Anniversary). UGLY!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wearing the blues at home would be considered blashemous. :cursing:

If memory serves me correctly the reason the Cowboys started wearing white at home is because it shows up better on TV. Tex Schramm was a big TV guy and anything he could do to to promote the Cowboys he would do. Knowing that they would also wear the whites on the road meant that they would always look their best.

I too didn't mind the old blue jerseys but it seemed like they lost whenever they wore them. Probably had more to do with the teams they were playing though.

Not necessarily...

I was at the Giants-Cowboys game in 1980, and the Giants chose to wear white at home all that season. They stuck, but beat the Cowboys on a Joe Danelo field goal in OT. Giants won maybe 4 games that season? Funny I can remember Danelo off the top of my head, but not the record...

Wearing the blues at home would be considered blashemous. :cursing:

If memory serves me correctly the reason the Cowboys started wearing white at home is because it shows up better on TV. Tex Schramm was a big TV guy and anything he could do to to promote the Cowboys he would do. Knowing that they would also wear the whites on the road meant that they would always look their best.

I too didn't mind the old blue jerseys but it seemed like they lost whenever they wore them. Probably had more to do with the teams they were playing though.

Not necessarily...

I was at the Giants-Cowboys game in 1980, and the Giants chose to wear white at home all that season. They stuck, but beat the Cowboys on a Joe Danelo field goal in OT. Giants won maybe 4 games that season? Funny I can remember Danelo off the top of my head, but not the record...

Danelo also kicked a FG to beat the Cowboys in the '81 regular-season finale at Giants Stadium. That win put the Giants in the playoffs for the first time since '63.

Giants wore white at home against the Cowboys every season in the '80s until about '88.

Also on a monday night rainy game, or it was raining at my place, or something...it was my jr. year so the 2003/04 football season, the Giants came out at home in the whites which forced the cowboys to wear the blues. I think unfortunately the cowboys ended up blowing that game in the 4th, after having like a 13 point lead. anyone can back this claim?

In terms of the topic of Dallas' blues, I still think they got it right the FIRST time they redesigned them:

tonydorsett.jpg

I preferred these as well, although the current ones have gradually grown on me. The throwbacks are buch better than the '90s double-star, but in all honesty I'd rather see them go without the alts. Never been a fan of this NFL move. Seems like 2 jerseys for 16 games is doable.

I love seeing the Cowboys in blue. The only guaranteed time for it is when they play the skins in D.C.

Have the skins ever worn burgundy jerseys at home?

Before Gibbs in 1981, burgundy was the ONLY home choice. Gibbs' first game was at home against Dallas and he went with the whites for what still is an unknown reason but it's believed it was some combination of 1) make Dallas wear blue; 2) white's cooler and it was a hot Labor Day weekend in DC; and 3) he was used to seeing his team in white having come from San Diego.

To this day, he's chosen white for every home game. Norv Turner stuck with that as well. It was Marty Schottenheimer that triggered a change back to burgundy at home. Steve Spurrier also chose dark at home, most of the time, including the time of the 70th anniversary retro jerseys.

Now, not only does Gibbs go strictly white at home, he's very much against the older/darker burgundy/gold colors. That meant there was only one choice available for a nostalgic 75th anniversary uniform.

In terms of the topic of Dallas' blues, I still think they got it right the FIRST time they redesigned them:

tonydorsett.jpg

no. they had it right when they had this sucker. DAL_4ufsse3hs0asbhi714ht.gif:grin:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

It seemed those teams who believed in the "blue jersey" curse the most were the Cowboys' division rivals. I think the Cardinals, Redskins, and Giants were the teams who forced the Cowboys to wear blues on the road the most.

For the most part, that's correct. There have been a few exceptions. Denver (1980), Baltimore Colts (1981), and Carolina (playoff games for 1996 and '03 seasons) have also worn white at home with the express purpose of bringing out the Cowboys' blue.

Also on a monday night rainy game, or it was raining at my place, or something...it was my jr. year so the 2003/04 football season, the Giants came out at home in the whites which forced the cowboys to wear the blues. I think unfortunately the cowboys ended up blowing that game in the 4th, after having like a 13 point lead. anyone can back this claim?

I don't remember this, but it could just be my faulty memory. Only Giants-in-white-at-home game that I can remember was a home opener vs. Arizona a few years ago that I think was mentioned earlier in the thread.

I hate white jerseys at home. So much so that I think the NFL should make it a rule that all teams have to wear dark jerseys at home -- including the Cowboys.

And that would accomplish...?

Lots of simple things.

For one, consistency. Imagine major league baseball teams wearing gray uniforms at home. Imagine NBA teams wearing dark at home (well, that has happened at times, but it sucks).

Another thing is being able to tell where the game is being played if you don't know already.

Maybe, because of their specific and consistent tradition, I'd allow the Cowboys to wear white at home, if I were ruler of the NFL. But the rest of the teams better wear dark at home. Wearing dark jerseys at home just looks proper.

I hate white jerseys at home. So much so that I think the NFL should make it a rule that all teams have to wear dark jerseys at home -- including the Cowboys.

Lots of simple things.

For one, consistency. Imagine major league baseball teams wearing gray uniforms at home. Imagine NBA teams wearing dark at home (well, that has happened at times, but it sucks).

Another thing is being able to tell where the game is being played if you don't know already.

Maybe, because of their specific and consistent tradition, I'd allow the Cowboys to wear white at home, if I were ruler of the NFL. But the rest of the teams better wear dark at home. Wearing dark jerseys at home just looks proper.

Oh come on, you can tell the home team by many things, including positions on the scoreboard, or if you have real trouble with that, you can see what logo is on midfield. Also, bringing in MLB is a bad call, because I had to watch the Braves Red Jerseys take on those Black... uh, things, that Colorado has.

I don't see why teams can't just wear what they want, regardless of home/road status... just as long as they don't clash.

Thank you, it's not that big of a deal what your team wears, as long as the colors don't clash. Hell, I'd like to see 2 teams wear team color jerseys against each other, ie. Bucs red vs. Packers green, and such.

Lots of simple things.

I would have to argue this point. A lot of MLB teams now have so many alternate unis that there is very little consistency.

usa-sm.giffinland-sm.gifstars1-sm.gifdall1-sm.gif

Well, I just don't like white jerseys at home. It looks totally wrong unless a team traditionally uses that. I especially hate it when the teams wear white for some games and dark for others.

Besides, the Cowboys look sharp in their dark uniforms.

I think it's really boring that the Boys always wear the whites at home. They should only be allowed to do it twice or 3 times a season like other teams' alts. Also, they forced the Bills to wear blue in SB XXVII. It's the reason we lost!! We also could have locked up XXVIII by forcing them to wear the blues!

Archived