Redskins w/ Throwbacks

CS85

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3cf441ca-4636-4f74-973b-9e3c19c9efd8.jpg

Are those leg warmers that Clinton portis is wearing in this picture? :blink:

Wouldn't surprise me...looks like he's attempting a gymnastics move here. :D

Seriously...I hope he ain't break his neck during that fall...it evokes memories of Steve Tasker--or maybe it was Don Beebe--going up for a pass, getting hit and flipped upside down, and actually bouncing off his head onto the ground. That makes me shiver a lil' bit every time I see it...or any other player making headfirst contact with the ground. This same thing happened to Deion Sanders in a game against the Redskins some years back when sanders was a Cowboy...and some Redskins players actually HAWKED over him while he was possibly injured laying on the ground. And, after seeing what happened to Kevin Everett (and after having my OWN neck broken before), I really get concerned about those types of impacts.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I noticed that Clinton Portis wore soccer shoes in the game. That's the first time I've ever seen a player besides a kicker wear them.

Exactly...those are the Nike totalninety cleats....he's a different kind of cat anyway...

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

I noticed that Clinton Portis wore soccer shoes in the game. That's the first time I've ever seen a player besides a kicker wear them.

Exactly...those are the Nike totalninety cleats....he's a different kind of cat anyway...

I remember hearing somewhere that Portis wears shinguards when he plays (frankly, I'm surprised more players don't) so maybe he switched to wearing soccer cleats because it felt more comfortable with the shinguards.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Green Bay Packers, Red Edition?

The spear is infinitely superior.

Of course they are - they were designed by Vince Lombardi (who, of course, didn't live to see them wear these).

It's interesting to note that this uniform was worn with 3 helmets:

1969: the spear helmet - but in a lighter burgandy that matched these uniforms instead of the original dark maroon

1970-71: the yellow "R" helmets worn yesterday

1972-78: the early versions of their current helmets (not metallic, grey mask, and the white stripes were thinner in those days)

That aside, these looked good for a change-up from the current set (worn since 1979), but the 2002 spear set was better because it was more unique. However, the spear set should have used the full 5-stripe pattern (like yesterday's socks) instead of the 3-stripe pattern with the spear in the large stripe.

I thought they looked fanstastic. The Fox high definition feed for that game was great. I was a little kid, but I can remember them playing in that uniform. I still have the mini, plastic helmet (yellow with the "R") that I got in one of the quarter machines back in the 70s.

Why, but I kept thinking they wore both helmets one year (during the 70s). The yellow one with the "R" and the current style.

I like the set, but did the Redskins wear white at home during that era?

They did not. In fact, you almost NEVER saw this white jersey, which is why I liked the original version. With the numbers on the sleeves, where they belong!

I like the set, but did the Redskins wear white at home during that era?

Nope, that's all Joe Gibbs fault. Gibbs is a White Jersey Supremacist, and is engaging in historical revisionism by forcing the Skins to wear the white jersey. The Skins wore the burgundy at home until 1981, when...JOE GIBBS took over! Most of the players like the burgundy jersey, but not ol' Joe.

Why don't the Skins move the TV number on their regular jerseys to the shoulders, like they innaccurately did with these throwbacks?? NFL teams hardly have sleeves any more, and should only have stripes on what remains of the sleeve, since there is plenty of room on the shoulders for the TV numbers...unless you're the Bills.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

My .02...

Radio Shack logo, gray mask, yellow helmet was mud. Packers have the yellow/white/yellow look down pat and it really isn't a color combo we need more of. The thing that kills it for me is that there isn't any part that is better than what they have now. Please shelve these now.

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived