Minnesota Vikings Throwbacks

Joshawaggie

I love this thread. It reminds me of the old Football Uniforms of Past and Present UniForum. There were two camps on that forum: those for throwbacks and those against. I've always been a proponent of throwback jerseys being worn, and as Fran Tarkenton is my favourite player, I flipped when I turned on FOX this afternoon and saw these gems, especially the grey facemasks. (Shame on the Steelers in week 2 for that oversight!)

I can see what BallWonk is saying about mismatching details on these throwbacks. I never had any beef with the stripe patterns on the sleeves not matching the pattern on the pants on these uniforms. Assuming the pants stripes were like they were on other teams at the time, when the Vikings entered the league in 1961, their pants-stripes were very skinny purple-gold-purple. I feel like that was so small that it didn't clash at all with the stripes on the sleeves. Look at the Browns. Their pants stripes don't match their sleeve stripes either. And the helmets were certainly darker than the jerseys, but that is visible throughout the league as well. The Colts' decals and stripe, when they first switched to grey facemasks, seemed a bit darker than the blue they wear. The Cowboys' decals and stripes are certainly darker blue than what's used on the jerseys. It's not that uncommon. Now, as to how you feel about it aesthetically, that's an opinion matter. I personally like the fact that there's that slight mismatch. (And I have no justification for that! Haha.)

Plain and simple though, for their classic throwback look, the uniforms the Vikings wore are loads better than their current uniforms. Seriously, what is Reebok's obsession with piping? These 'slash style' stripes and pipings that are plaguing "modern" NFL uniforms just make the players look ridiculous, especially when you couple that with the whole monochrome ridiculousness.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of sleeves, does anyone know if Matt Leinart's sleeve ripped, or did he cut it? It is on his left arm, it seemed to be ripped perfectly haha. I was thinkin he may have cut it because of the tight, elasticized sleeves [? can they even be considered sleeves ?].

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

bf99a903-6be3-4dda-85cd-189cd23e992.jpg

What the HELL is this???? Reebok, let a player onto the field with SLEEEVVVEEESSS!!!! Somebody call Roger Goodell, quick!

I didn't know sleeves still existed in the NFL

And the sleeves helped alot. ;)

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I kinda like the new Vikings away and think they should be like the cowboys and where their white unis all the time, but lets comare the purple unis.

Here peterson looks sharp and like an NFL player should look.

200eljc.png

Now Peterson looks like an Arena player on an NFL field, not a sharp look.

wme54y.jpg

256dy87.jpg

The new uniforms are miles better. I like how they have more yellow in them.

you're either blind or have no taste. These uniforms are miles better than what they wear now.

I just like equal use of color. Maybe you're the tasteless one, King.

I've been known to have bad taste. Touché.

But even my dad saw these unis and said "Now if they'd get outta that damn dome this would be picture-perfect football"

Can't really improve on that statement.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

you're either blind or have no taste. These uniforms are miles better than what they wear now.

Come on, boys. Threre's no need to make this personal.

The new Viking uniforms are terribly ugly.

People who like them are entitled to like them without having to endure comments about their character.

For my own part, I thought the Vikings looked sharp. So much better then the new clown suits. But I'm still very glad they lost. :D

Come on, boys. Threre's no need to make this personal.

The new Viking uniforms are terribly ugly.

People who like them are entitled to like them without having to endure comments about their character.

For my own part, I thought the Vikings looked sharp. So much better then the new clown suits. But I'm still very glad they lost. :D

Uh... pretty much what he said. Except for the last part - I could give a damn. I've got enough problems - like 11 Giants sacks - to worry about the Packers. And you may have heard, there'll be October baseball in the Delaware Valley this year for a change. ^_^

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I thought the vikings did well with these throwbacks. And yes their was a little mis-match with purple helmet and purple jersey. But overall they looked sharp! Hopefully will see these again soon. And maybe even a win...

On side note...hats off to Brett Favre!!! As much as I dislike the Packers I have a ton respect for Favre. Congrats on the record!

Speaking of sleeves, does anyone know if Matt Leinart's sleeve ripped, or did he cut it? It is on his left arm, it seemed to be ripped perfectly haha. I was thinkin he may have cut it because of the tight, elasticized sleeves [? can they even be considered sleeves ?].

Are they allowed to cut them? MLB uniform regulations (yes, there is such a thing, though they don't seem to be enforced below the knee) specifically forbid the practice.

Awesome game to watch, not only because of Favre's record-breaking feat, but because the Vikes were looking absolutely sharp. Bravo, you purple-clad people! I'd love to see these again this season. Any encores planned?

Btw, I'd love to see these as well someday...

449b_1.JPG

Here's my opinions on the new unis:

Take away the white on the side panel, but leave the shoulders the way they are, but not connecting in the back. Then give the pants a set of more traditional looking stripes. Then you have one of the best looking uniforms in NFL history.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

Just another butt-ugly throwback.

The current uniforms (although too "new" for some of you) are much better.

Its 2007.

Not to really say anything, but that's a statement that gives no real critical feedback about either uniform, other than to say one is old, one is new, and the new one is better because it's new.

Design-wise, the original uniform they wore today is lightyears better than their new uniforms, and are marginally better than their 90's home uniforms. The only thing that would enhance the uniforms would be the current "dazzle" helmet and the redesigned horn.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Wow, they've been away from the jersey design for a whole year and are already throwing back to it.

I like it. It's very clean and simple. I wish they had kept these instead of what they have now.

It's been more than a year--I believe the Vikings last used those sleeve stripes in 1995. After that, the Vikings had the Viking logo on their sleeves.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

The thing with this set and the current set is...the set from 2 years ago blows them both away. This set is too plain...the unneeded gray mask, plain white numbers, and the different color looking purples. The new set at least matches the purples better, uses some yellow trims, and that's about it...but like I said, neither are the "better" set.

Agreed. The uniform before the current one had a couple of things I would have tweaked, but was (IMO) decidedly better than either the throwbacks from yesterday or their current set.

Archived