Applebee's Testing New Logo...

LoligerBS

If that is indeed real, the lack of an apostrophe is going to drive me mad. And I mean, "boycott the place until they change it" mad.

You probably shouldn't come to Canada for a coffee at Tim Hortons then. Seriously, that's even in the Canadian Press style guide. Drives me bonkers every time I see it.

Because of French-language sign laws in the province of Quebec, Tim Hortons is spelled without an apostrophe to standardize signage across the chain. Canadian Tim Hortons outlets feature bilingual menus and cups. The chain's ubiquitous coffee cups proclaim the company motto "Always Fresh" on one side and "Toujours Frais" on the opposite side. Obligatory warnings about the injury potential of hot coffee are also printed in English and French.

It's not Tim Horton's donut, it is a Tim Hortons donut. Small distinction. ^_^

But is it not Tim Horton's establishment? If not, how many Tim Hortons are there?

If that is indeed real, the lack of an apostrophe is going to drive me mad. And I mean, "boycott the place until they change it" mad.

You probably shouldn't come to Canada for a coffee at Tim Hortons then. Seriously, that's even in the Canadian Press style guide. Drives me bonkers every time I see it.

Because of French-language sign laws in the province of Quebec, Tim Hortons is spelled without an apostrophe to standardize signage across the chain. Canadian Tim Hortons outlets feature bilingual menus and cups. The chain's ubiquitous coffee cups proclaim the company motto "Always Fresh" on one side and "Toujours Frais" on the opposite side. Obligatory warnings about the injury potential of hot coffee are also printed in English and French.

But is it not Tim Horton's establishment? If not, how many Tim Hortons are there?

3079 as of July 1st. :D

Perhaps this makes the reason clearer as to why there is no apostrophe:

As you probably know, Tim Hortons is named after Tim Horton, the late NHL hockey player. Originally, the chain was known as “Tim Horton”. Later, it became known as “Tim Horton’s”, which would be the gramatically correct way to spell the name of the chain given its intended meaning.

However, as Tim’s expanded into Quebec, they were faced with a problem. Quebec has language laws that require all signs to be translated into French. Since “Tim Horton’s” was considered an English phrase (meaning, something that belonged to Tim Horton), all of the stores in Quebec would have had to have their signs renamed accordingly in French (”Les donuts de Tim Horton” would be the proper translation, meaning “Tim Horton’s Donuts”).

The folks at Tim’s found a loophole around the language law, though. If a business is just a personal name, even if the name is not French, it doesn’t need to be translated into French. Instead of changing all the signs, they simply renamed the chain “Tim Hortons”, without the apostrophe, and used that name for all their stores to simplify things.

That’s why “Tim Hortons” is spelled the way it is, without the apostrophe. If you’re ever sitting at Tim’s and someone asks why there’s no apostrophe in the name, now you know and can explain it to them.

As you probably know, Tim Hortons is named after Tim Horton, the late NHL hockey player. Originally, the chain was known as ?Tim Horton?. Later, it became known as ?Tim Horton?s?, which would be the gramatically correct way to spell the name of the chain given its intended meaning.

However, as Tim?s expanded into Quebec, they were faced with a problem. Quebec has language laws that require all signs to be translated into French. Since ?Tim Horton?s? was considered an English phrase (meaning, something that belonged to Tim Horton), all of the stores in Quebec would have had to have their signs renamed accordingly in French (?Les donuts de Tim Horton? would be the proper translation, meaning ?Tim Horton?s Donuts?).

The folks at Tim?s found a loophole around the language law, though. If a business is just a personal name, even if the name is not French, it doesn?t need to be translated into French. Instead of changing all the signs, they simply renamed the chain ?Tim Hortons?, without the apostrophe, and used that name for all their stores to simplify things.

That?s why ?Tim Hortons? is spelled the way it is, without the apostrophe. If you?re ever sitting at Tim?s and someone asks why there?s no apostrophe in the name, now you know and can explain it to them.

So it's incorrect in two languages. Great.

As you probably know, Tim Hortons is named after Tim Horton, the late NHL hockey player. Originally, the chain was known as ?Tim Horton?. Later, it became known as ?Tim Horton?s?, which would be the gramatically correct way to spell the name of the chain given its intended meaning.

However, as Tim?s expanded into Quebec, they were faced with a problem. Quebec has language laws that require all signs to be translated into French. Since ?Tim Horton?s? was considered an English phrase (meaning, something that belonged to Tim Horton), all of the stores in Quebec would have had to have their signs renamed accordingly in French (?Les donuts de Tim Horton? would be the proper translation, meaning ?Tim Horton?s Donuts?).

The folks at Tim?s found a loophole around the language law, though. If a business is just a personal name, even if the name is not French, it doesn?t need to be translated into French. Instead of changing all the signs, they simply renamed the chain ?Tim Hortons?, without the apostrophe, and used that name for all their stores to simplify things.

That?s why ?Tim Hortons? is spelled the way it is, without the apostrophe. If you?re ever sitting at Tim?s and someone asks why there?s no apostrophe in the name, now you know and can explain it to them.

So in reality they circumvented the Quebec law by making the business name the personal name of a person who does not in fact exist or at least has no connection to the business (i.e., Tim Hortons)? That makes no sense whatsoever.

As for the change, I actually like it except for the lack of an apostrophe (which is actually a big deal to me too). The real test will be to see how my mother likes it, since this is her favorite restaurant chain (she has simple tastes).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Oh God, I just noticed that. Yeah, that'll drive a guy crazy, I haven't seen any Applebee's around here that have tried the new logo.

Hey, my mom is a manager at Applebees and you guys just hurt her feelings. Just kidding, but one thing that is kind of weird is that Applebees is almost two seperate chains, one owned by Applebees International and one owned by a company called TL Cannon. They share the same name and menu (I think) but have different have different ownership styles. TL Cannons stores are more in the Northeast and New England, so I wonder if they'll participate in this change. They aren't mentioned in that article and I've never seen that logo on any of my moms paperwork.

I thought IHOP bought Applebees.

Thank you for paying attention and not having this into a Francophile/Anglophile debate of another chain. IHOP has put in an offer for the corporately owned Applebee's stores (approx. 500). Their Board of Directors aproved the buyout with a 9-5 vote, but the shareholders vote at the end of October.

Applebees would be correct if you are referring to the plural of Applebee and not the possession of Applebee--in a restaurant setting that could be correct.

And maybe the Applebees in Canada are different, as the one near us is actually quite tasty--they have some spicy wraps and stuff that are quite delicious.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I don't see the one in Racine changing. They seem pretty well-established to want to spend much much money to downgrade their logo. As for the food, the stuff I've had is good, but the selection doesn't suit me that well. Strawberry lemonades, though... I had three of them the last time I went.

Signed,

Free refill abuser

• 3 weeks later...

Archived