Monday Night Football since 2006

wdm1219inpenna

Ladies & Gents of the boards,

I am a regular listener to ESPN Radio, and once in a great while I'll put on ESPN TV. Tonight was one such night. They have talked up and played up this Cowboys vs Bills game on Monday Night like it's 3 Super Bowls combined into one. They constantly are promoting MNF on their station, and I can't help but wonder if their ratings are lower compared to when it was on ABC.

I am almost 41, and I guess you'd consider me "old school" but Monday Night Football FELT like MNF when it was on ABC. It does not feel like it to me at all on ESPN. They have had some incredibly crappy matchups over the past 2 seasons, this week included.

I realize they have paid a lot of money to air these games but they really seem to shove this MNF build up down our collective throats. Maybe if they had some WATCHABLE teams and WATCHABLE matchups. Sunday Night Football on NBC has more of a Monday Night Football feel to it, between the matchups, and I have to confess, having Al & John in the booth too. I like Kornheiser on the few MNF broadcasts that I have actually felt compelled to watch, I don't miss Joey T., Jaws has always been annoying to me, and as for Tirico, he's okay. He's not superb, he's not awful, he's middle of the road. I do love his ESPN Radio show however.

Just wanted to see how other members felt about this. I miss ABC's Monday Night Football, where it felt more like an event rather than just another game.

Regards,

Bill McD.

MNF no longer exists as THE GAME of the week as it did in the 70s and 80s for the simple fact that everyone's exposed to games all over the country now - and a big reason for that is the proliferation of ESPN.

When I was younger, the only way I could get highlights from the other games was from Cosell's "Halftime Highlights" slot on MNF. Now, they're replayed ad infinitum on Sportcenter.

Yeah, the ubiquity of highlights and NFL packages on TV have made Monday Night less of a big deal, and I agree with you that Sunday night does now feel more big-time, with the music, the network TV broadcast and Bob Costas, as well as Madden and Michaels. I love these 2, and I think they catch way too much flack. Mike Tirico's not bad, and I like Jaws a lot but I can't stand Kornheiser. I think overall though ESPN has done a good job marketing the games, I dig the whole "Is it Monday yet?" thing. I guess the bottom line is, when your team's on MNF it's still epic-when the Bears play Monday nights, it might as well be a holiday at my office.

To inject my 26-year old hip hop/MTV/Reagan generation opinion...

I look forward to the Sunday Night game the way I used to look forward to MNF, and I only look forward to MNF when the Packers are playing (which is the only time I ever looked forward to ESPN's Sunday Night games).

It doesn't feel like "Monday Night Football" anymore, it feels more like "The ESPN Monday Night Game."

Monday is the new sunday and vice versa.

True. What Bill McD is experiencing is on purpose. The broadcast network package has the top-tier games. They get first dibs. The reason Sunday Night Football feels like the old MNF is because that's the continuation of ABC's version. ESPN still has the same stuff they always had on Sunday nights before. They've tried to hype it and were glad to keep the MNF brand, but it is not what it used to be. Not supposed to be -- but ESPN just wants to hype it as if it is still.

I believe the NFL wanted it this way because Sunday is a better TV night.

EDIT: Ahem, are the Browns on MNF this year?

Monday is the new sunday and vice versa.

True. What Bill McD is experiencing is on purpose. The broadcast network package has the top-tier games. They get first dibs. The reason Sunday Night Football feels like the old MNF is because that's the continuation of ABC's version. ESPN still has the same stuff they always had on Sunday nights before. They've tried to hype it and were glad to keep the MNF brand, but it is not what it used to be. Not supposed to be -- but ESPN just wants to hype it as if it is still.

I believe the NFL wanted it this way because Sunday is a better TV night.

I was going to say the same thing. So instead, I'll just say nicely explained.

I look at it the same as the Cleveland Browns. They might have the name and the records of the old version, but that team is really in Baltimore.

Uh-oh....

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

MNF is not what it used to be. I only watch if the Patriots are on...not the case for NBC.

Isn't it on after your bed time, though?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I am almost 41, and I guess you'd consider me "old school" but Monday Night Football FELT like MNF when it was on ABC. It does not feel like it to me at all on ESPN. They have had some incredibly crappy matchups over the past 2 seasons, this week included.

Au contraire - this is one hell of a football game.

Is it the singular event that it used to be? No, but it wasn't the singular event its last couple years on ABC either. Too many Sunday night games, Thursday games, etc.

I was sad to see the network run end, but only for longevity's sake. The changes they've made, including the flexible schedule, have on the whole been improvements.

Not to mention a good-looking one too. If the Bills wore those every single game, there's not a person in the world who would complain. I'd really like to hear that they're planning a switch back for next year.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I look at it the same as the Cleveland Browns. They might have the name and the records of the old version, but that team is really in Baltimore.

OH GOD

MAN THE HARPOONS, RUN FOR THE HILLS!

BAH GAWD HE JUST SAID THE FORBIDDEN WORDS!!!!

*hides under kitchen sink*

bSLCtu2.png

OH GOD

bSLCtu2.png

OOO looks liek someone gonna get bombed good....ooooo...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Not to mention a good-looking one too. If the Bills wore those every single game, there's not a person in the world who would complain. I'd really like to hear that they're planning a switch back for next year.

This isn't 1960 anymore. Not a person in the world? Uhh, I don't think so.

A updated, simple uniform with royal blue and silver (nickel) with red trim is needed. Not some tired looking "throwback".

OH GOD

OK, I obviously missed a discussion on this before. It wasn't intended to be disrespectful to Browns fans. Bad comparison. Let's stick to the MNF discussion then.

(Self-edited to stay on topic.)

Archived