Ducks to unveil white helmets?

pdxuoduck

Hmmm.... the team is called the Ducks. What would symbolize ducks really well?

Let's put a diamond pattern like Rebar on the shoulders!!! Brilliant!!!

Wait, let's put flames on the helmet!!! Brilliant!!!!

Let's put a lightning bolt down the side of the socks!!!! Yes, Brilliant!!!!

And pink moons, and green clovers!!!!! Tis Brilliant!!!!

What if we put a picture of a duck somewhere? What? A Duck? That's not "Kewl"!!! It's not XX-TREAM!!!!!

At what point did Oregon stop being an institution of higher learning and start being a WWE merchandise shop?

I would be embarrassed to be an Oregon grad at this point. Nike be damned, Oregon must be stopped.

Hmmm.... the team is called the Ducks. What would symbolize ducks really well?

Let's put a diamond pattern like Rebar on the shoulders!!! Brilliant!!!

Wait, let's put flames on the helmet!!! Brilliant!!!!

Let's put a lightning bolt down the side of the socks!!!! Yes, Brilliant!!!!

And pink moons, and green clovers!!!!! Tis Brilliant!!!!

What if we put a picture of a duck somewhere? What? A Duck? That's not "Kewl"!!! It's not XX-TREAM!!!!!

At what point did Oregon stop being an institution of higher learning and start being a WWE merchandise shop?

I would be embarrassed to be an Oregon grad at this point. Nike be damned, Oregon must be stopped.

I know you're kidding....atleast I HOPE you are because equating the prestige of a school and its academic credibility based on one of their sports team's uniforms is pretty moronic at best.

Again, I think you're kidding......right?

The Ducks are truly a team without identity. Since they abandoned the yellow helmet with interlocking "UO" several years ago, they've changed some aspect about their uniform at least once every year and a half. Some wierd-ass material near the shoulder of the jersey to look like feathers (which I thought kinda worked), now diamond plating all over the place (which doesn't work), that stupid acid-flame helmet at their bowl game last year, now this. They have gone through so many different combinations, sometimes I wonder if they're the Miami Hurricanes in disguise. I'm surprised they didn't do the stupid one-arm alternate color that Miami and VTech did a couple years ago.

Don't get me wrong, as just a plain white helmet with the O on it is perfect. But flames??? Really, Oregon??? Since when did your helmets become a Jesse James gas tank? As much as I respect you guys as being top-notch team, you ought to consider using a uniform combination that works for the team image that doesn't involve diamond plating OR flames...unless of course your mascot becomes a giant robot duck on fire.

galaxy.png

Here's the link to a story that hints the Ducks may unveil their white helmets for the UW game in Seattle this weekend.

http://rgweb-c.registerguard.com/blogs/ind...ke_their_debut/

Y'know, if Oregon just had a plain white helmet with the O on it, and wore white from head to toe, it would've looked good because that's the only uniform that gets them above a grade of "F" in my book.

But they added the flames, so they get an F.

And now I've come to realize that Oregon's idenity is ugliness. They seriously pride themselves in looking tacky as hell. And since they show no signs of changing for the better, more power to them. May they corner the market on ugliness for years to come.

While the ghost flames are absurd, they can't really been seen from a few feet, so they may okay on the field. I think the white helmets might look good as long as they pair it with a good uni combo...which may be impossible. We'll see.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

While the ghost flames are absurd, they can't really been seen from a few feet, so they may okay on the field. I think the white helmets might look good as long as they pair it with a good uni combo...which may be impossible. We'll see.

Which is what makes their very presence both confusing and annoying. If they can't be seen by someone unless they're right next to the helmet, it won't be noticed by the fans at the game, nor will it be picked up all that well by the TV cameras. So UO went to great troubles to add these ghost flames that 99% of the viewing audience won't even see.

So why do it?

I realize that's a silly question to pose to UO, who could've just stuck with kelly green and lemon yellow and Donald Duck and would've had one of the 10 best looks in all of college football. Instead, they whored out to Nike and look like a bunch of idiots. There's not a "U" or an "O" to be found in "integrity". :therock:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

There's not a "U" or an "O" to be found in "integrity".

Brilliant.

My uncle, a huge Ducks fan from Eugene, compares the modern uniforms to a toddler throwing temper tantrums because he's so desperate for any attention, even negative attention.

Brilliant-er. Although I would've opted for something ripped from the cover of my wife's People magazine, and gone with Paris/Lindsay/Britney. Toddlers often don't know any better; Oregon's doing this willfully. :P

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I realize that's a silly question to pose to UO, who could've just stuck with kelly green and lemon yellow and Donald Duck and would've had one of the 10 best looks in all of college football. Instead, they whored out to Nike and look like a bunch of idiots. There's not a "U" or an "O" to be found in "integrity". rock.gif

Funny that you mentioned that,because last night FSN Northwest showed a UW/UO from '94 and this was obviously back in the day when Oregon looked normal.

uo2.jpg

Boy i miss that look.

ducks-large.jpg

They're wearing the white one.

Yuck.

t1_clemens_getty.jpg

2006-05-23-clemens.jpg

Say what you want about these uniforms, they were damn sure better than the ones they have now, and actually decent. Better than the Bionic Duck uniforms of the Joey Harrington era, and better than the Donald Duck era unis. I don't know why, but Oregon just looks like they're begging to not be taken seriously with the Donalds on.

t1_clemens_getty.jpg

2006-05-23-clemens.jpg

Say what you want about these uniforms, they were damn sure better than the ones they have now, and actually decent. Better than the Bionic Duck uniforms of the Joey Harrington era, and better than the Donald Duck era unis. I don't know why, but Oregon just looks like they're begging to not be taken seriously with the Donalds on.

Their previous set are actually pretty decent.

This should answer your question:

blog responses

Why would a Duck hater even be reading this blog? Probably because deep down inside he know?s the Ducks are on the cutting edge. Who wouldn?t want to play for us. ?Nike U? Go Ducks!!!
Oregon is cutting edge. Like it or not. There?s a reason OSU went from orange to that orange safety vest color. They are trying to keep up with the Ducks(Jones?s).
I love everything the ducks have done with their unis. Every color combination, the diamond plate, white helmets, yellow helmets even. I just don?t like the flames. Why not just plain white? Or if they wanted to spice them up why not do a faint iredescent diamond plate over them? At least that would match.

Speaking of helmets, one thing that I love about college football and wish Oregon participated in is the helmet stickers. I even have an idea for the stickers. Each sticker is a litte diamond like on the shoulder pads. As you cover the helmet, you alternate the way they slant and soon the helmet is covered in diamond plate. That would be cool.

I?m all for the all whites! The flames are not my favorite thing in the world but i think it?s tight that the players get to design the uniforms. What a great recruiting tool!!!
all white it tight. i dig our uniforms. i?m glad to see that oregon keeps things fresh. opposing fans critisizing our team uni?s is always going to happen when we compete and walk out of their stadium with a W. besides its oregon, progressive, unique, its our nature. needless to say i?m somewhat anxious about the Washington game. I think if we can beat the Huskies on the road, then USC is in for a world of hurt. Beat the Huskies! then start thinking about putting the hammer down on USC!
The Duck uniforms are pimp. Who cares if 40 year old nerds from Seattle hate em because 18 year old kids in Cali love em? and that?s who we are recruiting. The Husky can keep their fans happy with their tradional unis because you need to be at leat 40 years old to even remember when the Huskies were a relevant Pac 10 program.

oh yeah, a place of higher learning. emphasis on high.

i rest my case.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Again I'll reply to this thread (I have no idea where the original went) and point out that athletic program and the actual university are separate. Please understand that the choices of what an athletic team wears has little to do with the actual students who go there seeking an education and gaining an education. The University of whatever is in it to make money from football and basketball, a pro league if you will. The only thing the football and basketball teams do for the university is get the name out to the general public. If you really think that wearing a uniform or being "cool" has anything to do with higher education... then you're probably no smarter than Paris Hilton. Well, as some of these athletes have proven, they are no smarter than Paris, and well these so-called students can wear their cool looking uniforms and then go pro and figure out in 5 years or less how to loose $25 million. Oh and as far as Nike goes, if there are idiots who will wear these monstrosities, keep making them because you're making money!

Again I'll reply to this thread (I have no idea where the original went) and point out that athletic program and the actual university are separate. Please understand that the choices of what an athletic team wears has little to do with the actual students who go there seeking an education and gaining an education. The University of whatever is in it to make money from football and basketball, a pro league if you will. The only thing the football and basketball teams do for the university is get the name out to the general public. If you really think that wearing a uniform or being "cool" has anything to do with higher education... then you're probably no smarter than Paris Hilton. Well, as some of these athletes have proven, they are no smarter than Paris, and well these so-called students can wear their cool looking uniforms and then go pro and figure out in 5 years or less how to loose $25 million. Oh and as far as Nike goes, if there are idiots who will wear these monstrosities, keep making them because you're making money!

one good thing about these are they make it very easy to spot the idiots to hose in the electronics department. ^_^

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I realize that's a silly question to pose to UO, who could've just stuck with kelly green and lemon yellow and Donald Duck and would've had one of the 10 best looks in all of college football. Instead, they whored out to Nike and look like a bunch of idiots. There's not a "U" or an "O" to be found in "integrity". rock.gif

Funny that you mentioned that,because last night FSN Northwest showed a UW/UO from '94 and this was obviously back in the day when Oregon looked normal.

uo2.jpg

Boy i miss that look.

Miss it forever. Disney won't allow the "Fightin' Donald" shown past state lines anymore. It's an Oregon only thing.

Archived