Heisman Candidates for 2008

mantleisthebest7

Hi y'all!

First off i'd like to say congrats to Tim Tebow, this years Heisman Trophy winner. Though I would have thrown in my vote for Colt Brennan, I do believe that tebow was well deserving of the honor and is one of the best talents in the game today.

Moving on, due to the recent awarding of the Heisman, I thought Id get a head start on the debate for next year. Ive considered a few players (pending return to school, of course) for next year, and I will say that you may be suprised by some of these picks, but I can guarantee you that they are well deserving of candidacy. Ive selected a few listed here, and after my take on each player, I will announce who I have picked to be next years trophy winner. I will also say that I believe, due to the uprising talent of a few mid major players, that this is possibly the year of the mid major player. Not saying that I believe one will win it, but I believe we will be seeing more and more mid major candidates rise up. Anyways, without further due, here they are!

(It goes like this. First is the preliminary list, with numerous candidates. Then will come my take on each candidate. After that, the final list will be listed and then my winner. The class listed is thier class respective of next year.)

Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas (Senior)

Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma (Sophomore)

Tim Tebow, QB, Florida (Junior)

Graham Harrell, QB, Texas Tech (Senior)

Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida (Senior)

Chase Daniel, QB, Missouri (Senior)

Dan LeFevour, QB, Central Michigan (Junior)

Pat White, QB, West Virginia (Senior)

Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech (Sophomore)

The Takes -

Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas -

Well, I only put him on the list because he still had a year to go. He will more then likely go to the NFL, but if he stays hes my runaway winner. However, I just dont see that happening. Therefore he wont be on my list.

Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma -

Man, have I been waiting to talk about this kid! Get these 2007 stats: 216-308, 2,879 yds passing, 34 TD passing, 70.1 comp % and a nation-leading 126.8 passer rating. Oh, and dont forget a bid to the Fiesta Bowl. And this kid was only a freshman?!?!?!? Lets face the facts - whether its next year or not, this kid is going to win a Heisman soon. I was blown away by his performance against Missouri and again the fact that he has accomplished this much as a freshman (for Oklahoma, no less) is just staggering. It happened this year and it might happen again - a sophomore may win the heisman here. Hes going to be a college legend for sure.

Tim Tebow, QB, Florida -

Ah, the defending winner. We all know what the solid superman of Florida can do. However, only one player has ever taken home two Heismans in a row - and it hasnt been done in 22 years. I dont know if Tebow is the man to do it. I think he'll have a stellar season and all, but theres is so much competition out there, and I just dont see it happening for the man who's counted to infinity twice (learned that from those "Tebowisms" going around. I love those things!).

Graham Harrell, QB, Texas Tech -

Something has to give here. All this talk about the Texas Tech system and this and that and this some more. Well, have you forgotten the fact that Texas Tech plays in the Big 12, where at one time three teams were in the top 10 nationally? People forget how competitive the Big 12 is and they also forget that the nations leader in pass yards attends Texas Tech. Graham Harrell is, simply put, a stud. Say what you want about thier system, but as said before, Texas Tech is a different story than Hawaii, and the other gunning schools. They play in a BCS conference and perform solidly. Harrell led the Red Raiders to a solid 8-4 record while compiling 5,298 yds passing (holy crap!), 45 TDs (holy crap again!) and a 72.7 completion percentage while completing 468 of 644 attempts. Anytime you can complete 72.7 of 644 attempts, or more than 500 attempts period, youre pretty accurate. Enough about the system, look at reality: Harrell is somethin special. Did I say he'd excel at the next level? No, most college legends dont (look up all of the Heisman winners and tell me how many made it succesfully in the NFL). But as far as the college level goes, boy is Harrell the real deal.

Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida -

Some of you are probably scratching your head, wondering who the heck this kid is. I'll tell you. He's just this one guy from Central Florida who leads the nation with 2,448 yds rushing and ranks second to a guy named Barry Sanders for most yards rushing in a season. Yeah not much, but anyways...

How could you deny this kid?!?!?!? He'll likely be back for his senior year and the fact that UCF will be defending a C-USA crown will definetely be good for him. If he is to put up numbers like he did next year, I think voters will cave and give the well deserving Smith an invite to New York City.

Chase Daniel, QB, Missouri -

Well hes another one we already know about. The stocky Texan put up staggering numbers for the Tigers (372-534, 4,170 yds passing, 33 TD passing, 284 yds rushing and 4 TD rushing) and his gritty leadership and determination rank him high on the list of national favorites. He may be one of the only players to be solely sought for the prestigious award for not only stats, but for heart and the fact that odds arent a factor for him. He's Missouri's general and I believe he will once again have a tremendous year, and will finish the deal and get Mizzou to a BCS bowl - for sure this time. A second straight invite to New York is imminent for the scrappy QB, and perhaps this time he'll come home with a 25-pound bronze souvenier.

Dan LeFevour, QB, Central Michigan -

Another mid-major with underrated talent. What if I said LeFevour has done something that only future colliegate HOFer Vince Young has done before in NCAA history? That, my friends, is pass for 3,000 yds and rush for 1,000 in the same season. Not even Tebow can say he did that. Talk about dual threat! In the air, LeFevour tossed 23 TDs and 3,360 passing yards while completing 338 of 509. Then on the ground he had a solid running back's year with 1,008 yards on 155 attempts and 17 TDs. He played on a team without a RB threat, so he simply took the load himself and performed double-duty for the Chippewas and led them to a MAC title - all as a sophomore. Pay attention to this kid - as with UCF's Smith, voters may get over the BCS popularity game and invite the workhorse quarterback to New York.

Pat White, QB, West Virginia -

He's not your typical quarterback, but he is an uncanny leader and offensive threat. Though only passing for 1,548 yds and 12 TD with 134 completions out of 197, he added 1,185 yards rushing on 177 attempts with 14 TD in WVU's option offense. His leadership is possibly unmatched and his heart is undoubtedly the nation's top heart. Though the Mountaineers did lose, White came back in the 4th quarter of thier 13-7 loss to Pitt, taking shotgun snaps with a dislocated thumb and taking one nasty shot after another despite the evident pain in his thumb. If the Heisman was based on the will to win, White would win in a landslide. With a possible run (again) to a title game, White's stock, pending return, will be extremely high for next year.

Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech -

Another product of the so called "Texas Tech system" who deserves a little more credit. He's the nations reciever of the year, winning the Biletnikoff Award in his freshman year. With a legit Heisman candidate in Graham Harrell as his quarterback, Crabtree's award winning stats of 125 rec, 21 rec TD and 1,861 yds recieving could even be eclipsed and he could possibly be the nations lone 2,000 yd reciever. If that is to occur, You may be seeing Crabtree on your TV when you turn to the Trophy Presentation.

Now that the takes are done, here's my final list of five:

Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

Chase Daniel, QB, Missouri

Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida

Graham Harrell, QB, Texas Tech

Tim Tebow, QB, Florida

Now....drum roll....the final voting! And the winner is...

1. Chase Daniel, QB, Missouri

2. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

3. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida

4. Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida

5. Graham Harrell, QB, Texas Tech

CHASE DANIEL WILL WIN THE HEISMAN!!!!!

And the others...

6. Pat White, QB, West Virginia

7. Dan LeFevour, QB, Central Michigan

8. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

Tell me what y'all think or even make a list of your own!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Here comes the nut homer Illini fan's pitch...

But I think Rashard Mendenhall could get some looks next year if he doesn't enter the draft.

He had 1600 yards (6.4 avg) and 18 TDs. Not Heisman numbers, but the team will certainly be better next year and he'll be a senior. A year older and a year better hopefully.

Also, if Juice lives up to his potential (I know...there are a lot of players you can say that about) I think he could get some consideration. Right now he's got the legs and the gun. If he can be a bit more accurate and a bit smarter with the ball (although he does run the option quite well now) he'll be an oustanding quarterback. He only threw for 1500 yards this year with 13 TDs and 10 INTs but had a 121 passer rating. He added 774 yards of rushing and 7 rushing TDs.

He's raw but he's got alot of upside.

If I was in the Illinois marketing department I'd put my marketing dollars behind Mendenhall.

homer pick here but seriously

Jonathan Stewart...he'll be a senior next year...if he stays

plus the ducks wont have a qb next year so he'll carry the load

he has the size...the speed...the field vision...the power...as well as being able to catch the ball out of the backfield

my top five would be:

1.) Jonathan Stewart - ORE - SR

2.) Chase Daniels - MIZ - SR

3.) Kevin Smith - UCF - SR

4.) Tim Tebow - FLA - JR

5.) Sam Bradford - OKL - SO

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

Here comes the nut homer Illini fan's pitch...

But I think Rashard Mendenhall could get some looks next year if he doesn't enter the draft.

He had 1600 yards (6.4 avg) and 18 TDs. Not Heisman numbers, but the team will certainly be better next year and he'll be a senior. A year older and a year better hopefully.

Also, if Juice lives up to his potential (I know...there are a lot of players you can say that about) I think he could get some consideration. Right now he's got the legs and the gun. If he can be a bit more accurate and a bit smarter with the ball (although he does run the option quite well now) he'll be an oustanding quarterback. He only threw for 1500 yards this year with 13 TDs and 10 INTs but had a 121 passer rating. He added 774 yards of rushing and 7 rushing TDs.

He's raw but he's got alot of upside.

If I was in the Illinois marketing department I'd put my marketing dollars behind Mendenhall.

I was gonna do it, but I decided not to. I had changed my mind though, but you've beat me to it. Just as well.

Unfortunately, I think Rashard may enter the draft this year, but I hope not.

As for Juice, yeah, he has an outside shot of it next year. If he has a strong year and the Illini go a step further than this year (which shouldn't be expected...this type of year is really what we should have expected next year...but it could happen), and the Illini challenge for the NC...that could put him in a good light.

You know, Its funny, I was actually thinking of Juice for a moment, remembering Illinois made it to the Rose Bowl. I was about an inch away from naming him a priliminary candidate, but I changed my mind. anyways.....Though I strongly stick by my pick of Chase Daniel, If I had a homer pick id use it. This wont ever happen due to the fact that its Utah, but keep your eyes on Utah QB Brian Johnson. Like Daniels, he's a scrappy Texan who is my team's leader. He also hasnt had a full year of competition yet due to injury. But when he's healthy (And Ive seen him play a couple times), he can gun it like nobody's buisness. Like I said, daniel is my winner, but Johnson is my homer pick. GO UTES!!!!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Keep your eyes on Knowshon Moreno of Georgia. He'll be formally introduced to the nation at the Sugar Bowl, and will really take off next season.

Georgia hasn't had an RB like this since Herschel.

I think the world has already been introduced to Knowshown Moreno.

I know Auburn has at least.

I think he just scored another touchdown as I'm typing this.

Keep your eyes on Knowshon Moreno of Georgia. He'll be formally introduced to the nation at the Sugar Bowl, and will really take off next season.

That kid is really good. When I saw a couple of Georgia's games this year, I was amazed by his talent. And isn't he a freshman or sophomore?

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

That kid is really good. When I saw a couple of Georgia's games this year, I was amazed by his talent. And isn't he a freshman or sophomore?

He's a redshirt Freshman.

I see some people are talking Armanti Edwards...are they serious?

I think Crabtree has a legit shot of winning it sometime in his career, but I see Daniels winning it next year, with Moreno right behind him.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Since everyone else is being rather homeristic I'll add that Todd Reesing will get some consideration preseason simply because of his play this year. Aside from two bad quarters against Missouri he was just as good as any QB in the country not named Tebow or Daniel (unfortunately).

Also look out for Jeremy Macklin. He is the X-Factor of the Missouri offense much like Percy Harvin at Florida. Both are close to a modern day Rocket Ismail or Desmond Howard.

rush.png

Clipboard03.jpg

Since everyone else is being rather homeristic I'll add that Todd Reesing will get some consideration preseason simply because of his play this year. Aside from two bad quarters against Missouri he was just as good as any QB in the country not named Tebow or Daniel (unfortunately).

Also look out for Jeremy Macklin. He is the X-Factor of the Missouri offense much like Percy Harvin at Florida. Both are close to a modern day Rocket Ismail or Desmond Howard.

It's Maclin, and Kansas had a horrible strength of schedule. You guys stole our BCS bowl, and Reesing is good, but not that good.

Sorry, just very bitter still.

Anyway, I think Daniel could win it, but the O-line is gonna need to step up a lot. Their losing a lot of good players there.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Tim Tebow, QB, Florida -

Ah, the defending winner. We all know what the solid superman of Florida can do. However, only one player has ever taken home two Heismans in a row - and it hasnt been done in 22 years. I dont know if Tebow is the man to do it. I think he'll have a stellar season and all, but theres is so much competition out there, and I just dont see it happening for the man who's counted to infinity twice (learned that from those "Tebowisms" going around. I love those things!).

Tell me what y'all think or even make a list of your own!

It was Archie Griffin from my alma mater and I could have sworn he did it in 74 & 75 or 32 years ago. :P

I think Beanie Wells needs to be on that list.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived