Do modern logos and uniforms help NFL teams?

The Danimal

Denver Broncos:

Orange Crush: lost several Super Bowls

New Design: won two Super Bowls

Tampa Bay Bucs:

Bucco Bruce: periennal laughingstock

Pirate Flag: won Super Bowl

New England Patriots:

Pat the Patriot: losers, for the most part

Flying Elvis: Dynasty

Cleveland Browns:

As the Browns: never could make it to the big game

As the Baltimore Ravens: Super Bowl champs

Houston Oilers:

As the Oilers: biggest choke in NFL history

As the Titans: one yard away from Super Bowl champs

co·in·ci·dence [ kō ínssidənss ] (plural co·in·ci·dences)

noun

Definition:

1. chance happening: something that happens by chance in a surprising or remarkable way

2. happening without planning: the fact of happening by chance

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

co·in·ci·dence [ kō ínssidənss ] (plural co·in·ci·dences)

noun

Definition:

1. chance happening: something that happens by chance in a surprising or remarkable way

2. happening without planning: the fact of happening by chance

ya, what he said.

Sports identity does play a role in the mindset/attitude of players and fans. Of course, the other thing to note is all those changes occurred after free agency was agreed to in 1993. That, along with the salary cap, allows all teams to be competitive in attracting talent.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

There have been a few cases where teams with brand new uniforms have had immediate success, such as the ducks last year or the Titans. There have also been cases where teams have changed after unparalleled success and failed miserably the next year to match the same output, such as the Houston Rockets in the 90's or the turn of the century Rams.

I don't know if possibly psychology has anything to do with it, but I would say that its a big ol' coincident.

Old Falcons: One of the laughingstocks of the NFL, with a good season sprinkled here and there.

New Falcons: One of the laughingstocks of the NFL, with a good season sprinkled here and there.

So yeah, the Falcons have blown that theory out of the water. Same with the other historically bad teams (Lions, Cardinals, Saints) that made tweaks and are still mingling with mediocrity.

The reason that happens is because many teams change their uniforms when they know they're on the cusp of turning things around, as a way to usher in a new era. In fact, that's pretty much the only reason we see teams change their uniforms now - look at the Broncos, Bucs, Giants, Seahawks, Bengals, and Rams - it just so happened that these teams got the timing right, and the new uniforms have become a symbol of their new success. But it doesn't always work, and for teams like Detroit, Atlanta, Arizona, Buffalo and Minnesota, they still suck and now they're even harder to watch.

New England Patriots:

Pat the Patriot: losers, for the most part

Flying Elvis: Dynasty.....rest of league BITTER

Fixed for you.

fixed it for YOU

Just wondering...why would you call them cheaters for something that all teams have done or currently do at one time or another?

Listen, they taped coaches signals. Its not like they put a mic in the locker rooms, or stole the other team's playbook. The coaches are visible to the entire world while they call signals. Anyone could figure them out if they had enough time and patience. If you think signal stealing completely cancels out three world titles, then you must also be someone who thinks that because the Yankees had a handful of their players from their late 90's championship run named on the Mitchell Report, that those titles should be eliminated. :rolleyes:

Has a team ever really been good before a change and maintained it through the change?

Spurs did it with a minor change, Lakers also I guess, but I don't think they won recently before the minor change.

Has a team ever won back to back with an intervening uniform change?

The Jazz made it to the finals back-to-back in different uniforms, but didn't win it. Still pretty good though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived