NY Yankees logos

J23P

Bingo.

These things stem from a day when such quirks were celebrated, not feared. Teams didn't have to have their entire "identity package" manicured and formatted.

FWIW, the Yankees have four versions of their classic interlocking "NY":

Home jersey / Cap / Batting helmet:

derek_jeter11.jpg53536a.jpg

And this one, the print logo:

yankeesLogo_000.gif

The print logo (which is my least favorite, by far) is the one most seen - in advertising, on stadium signage, on the microphones at press conferences, all around town.

It's even on the field itself:

yankee-stadium-address.jpg

I hate that logo. :cursing:

Consolidate them all? No way. Never happen. The Yanks have had two different logos since.... well, since they started wearing the interlocking "NY" on their jerseys.

But eliminate the print logo? Maybe even the batting helmet logo, replacing both with the cap logo? I'd love to see it, and that's an achievable goal. And I don't think fans would mind that one at all.

I'd also like them to use the new stadium as an opportunity to fix the uniform "improvements" made in the 1970s. Again, I'd love to see it but have my doubts.

The "print" and "batting helmet" logo are the sae guys, and they are supposed to represent as best they can the stitched cap logo. The Yankees only have two logos, the Fat one worn on the jersey, and the skinny one worn on the cap/helmet

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

You think perhaps with the move to the new stadium they might consolidate them into a single design? It'd be a perfect opportunity for them to do it, although I'm sure fans would have a fit if they did.

To be honest, if they changed to one version without making an announcement about it, 99.9% of fans wouldn't even notice. Hell I love logos and I can't really tell the different between the four.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

The "print" and "batting helmet" logo are the sae guys,

Are you really sure that you're on the right site? :P

I hear you, Goth, and i don't dispute that even very small, insignificant details and differences on theis board are discussed to no end. However, i think what you guys are seeing as small differences is acutually just how the logo is produced in the media that it is in. The plastic "NY" batting helmet logo differes from the stitched "NY" cap logo only because it is plastic and not stitched. The same design is there. The pointed ends on the "y" almost touching the pointed ends on the "N", how the bottom of the "N" goes just a hair lower than the bottom of the "Y", whereas on the jersey logo, it's the opposite.

Same logo, different media. That's all i'm saying

sB9ijEj.png

Do you really think New Era (and whatever company makes the BP decals) lack the ability to replicate the "NY"?

Look at the N's crossbar - it is most emphatically not the same logo. Even New Era's notoriously lousy quality control can handle the curved crossbar, should the team so wish....

Do you really think New Era (and whatever company makes the BP decals) lack the ability to replicate the "NY"?

Look at the N's crossbar - it is most emphatically not the same logo. Even New Era's notoriously lousy quality control can handle the curved crossbar, should the team so wish....

Maybe i'm just blind, but i don't see it.

However, on a slightly different subject, for those who think both logos should be the same on the cap and uniform, i've seen mockups of what that would look like, and i must say it doesn't look good. THe cap logo looks great on the cap, but on the jersey it looks... well, it looks like crap. As does the jersey logo if put on the cap. I think for he uniform to look complete and correct, you need the two varied logos.

sB9ijEj.png

Maybe i'm just blind, but i don't see it.

The easiest way to tell them apart at a glance is that the cap logo has a straight crossbar, while the print logo has a curved crossbar:

ALE-NYY-Insignia.png v. yankeesLogo_000.gif

The cap logo is also used on some merchandise, just to show that it's not a mere corruption of the print logo:

pMLB2-3269900dt.jpg

on the Yankees style guide, there is only 1 cap / helmet logo, which is the logo above on the right with the curves in it, if you look at the helmet and Jeters cap above, they both use the cap logo with the curves. The NY on the shirt above is not part of their current style guide and would be referred to as a "copperstown" mark, meaning an old mark for the team.

So as of right now, there are TWO NY logos, the cap / helmet NY and the left chest (uniform) NY

You'd think so, but that isn't the case.

That's not a Cooperstown Collection shirt, and that mark isn't an old one at all - on the contrary, it's the one featured on every game cap for years if not decades.

And check out Jeter's cap again:

derek_jeter11.jpg

It's not the print logo. Again, the crossbar is the dead giveaway. We can quibble about the angles of the ends of the "N", but the "Y" is unmistakeable, and cannot be confused between the cap logo and the print logo.

I'll admit that the Yanks' style guideline is really messed up. Call it "dumbed down", ignoring two of the four logos in use for some attampt at simplicity and clarity. My personal problem with it is that they emphasize an inferior logo and ignore a really sharp one.

after reading everyone's comments i'd have to agree with those that making a swich to make the hat and jersey logos the same wont look good as a whole. i say leave it the way it is. i also once thought that adidas had one idea of the interlocking "NY" while other companies had another and that is why we have a few variations.

Archived