NFL 2008--are there any jersey/logo changes pending?

wman

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's about time the Broncos loose the "swoosh". It's weird and ugly.

I agree. The unis have grown on me, but theyre incredibly dated already. it doesn't help that hordes of college teams use the same template. the helmet logos annoy me. The Broncos would have been much better served with a stylized update ala philly, miami and seattle

Dont be suprised to see the side panels disappear from the Vikes jerseys too.

If they do that, the Vikes will have the best NFL unis, bar none.

I actually like the white panels. If you get rid of them, then what do you do with the stripe up on the sleeve that is supposed to resemble the horn shape?

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I thought that the guy who did the new NFL and Chargers looks was working on a new one for the Phins. This was from the uniwatch blog back before the Super Bowl. Now there is a guy on a Phins board that claims that Saban ordered the new look after his first year . . . and since Saban said he like the traditional Phins look, one can only hope that we are about to see a 2003 Thanksgiving Day Uni coming down the pipelines from the Phins.

Elsewhere, I would actually like to see the Bills go back to the Jim Kelley era jerseys (I know, I'm weird). I also would be interested to see a slight Saint revamp.

On the modern vs. classic debate, I must admit I usually go more toward the more classic. I love the Steelers (even with the patch/numbers), the Cowboys (and the grelver pants), and the Browns. Although I do like some of the modern looks as well. For example I really like the Panthers Black tops and think the Cardinals upgraded. With that being said, I prefered the previous Vikings and Bengals looks (something about those old Bengals jerseys just did it for me) were downgrades and the Falcons is just terrible (although I want a fan of any of the past jerseys from the franchise).

As an aside, the Seahawks monochrome blue actually made me hate the team. No joke. To me they look so good with the white pants and blue tops, but what do I know.

dolphins2.png

I thought that the guy who did the new NFL and Chargers looks was working on a new one for the Phins. This was from the uniwatch blog back before the Super Bowl. Now there is a guy on a Phins board that claims that Saban ordered the new look after his first year . . . and since Saban said he like the traditional Phins look, one can only hope that we are about to see a 2003 Thanksgiving Day Uni coming down the pipelines from the Phins.

Elsewhere, I would actually like to see the Bills go back to the Jim Kelley era jerseys (I know, I'm weird). I also would be interested to see a slight Saint revamp.

On the modern vs. classic debate, I must admit I usually go more toward the more classic. I love the Steelers (even with the patch/numbers), the Cowboys (and the grelver pants), and the Browns. Although I do like some of the modern looks as well. For example I really like the Panthers Black tops and think the Cardinals upgraded. With that being said, I prefered the previous Vikings and Bengals looks (something about those old Bengals jerseys just did it for me) were downgrades and the Falcons is just terrible (although I want a fan of any of the past jerseys from the franchise).

As an aside, the Seahawks monochrome blue actually made me hate the team. No joke. To me they look so good with the white pants and blue tops, but what do I know.

dolphins2.png

Now there is a guy on a Phins board that claims that Saban ordered the new look after his first year . . . and since Saban said he like the traditional Phins look, one can only hope that we are about to see a 2003 Thanksgiving Day Uni coming down the pipelines from the Phins.

I think anything Saban would have wanted should be immediately dumped. Saban was a dufus and a tyrant.

And those Dolphin thanksgiving uniforms were pretty dated (to say the least).

The Dolphins need to sharpen up their uniforms. The all white look (which is worn every single week) needs to be de-emphasized. Give the team some color. Its already a boring enough team, without being in all white from head-to-toe. It just screams "soft".

Wear the aqua jersey more at home. Wear aqua pants (with reduced, simple striping) with the white jersey's.

1. All these Hurricaines that come into the NFL and try to make a professional uniform look like college or high school even.

2. I emailed a couple of equip managers last year and I actually got a response from 3 the Browns,Bengals and Ravens. They all said that the players wanted to wear the solid color socks or the same color socks as pants. Players have no idea how bad it looks.

1. What is a "professional team" supposed to look like? Are they all supposed to look the same? Are they supposed to all look like they did in 1965? Are they supposed to be as conservative looking as some NFL coaches are? There are a lot of college teams that look a hell of a lot better than any NFL team does.

2. Again, stripes socks are out. Have been, at EVERY level of football for years. Nobody wears striped socks in basketball or on baseball stirrups anymore either. There is a reason for it. Its 2007. Maybe 30 years from now, them and parachute pants will make a comeback.

1. All these Hurricaines that come into the NFL and try to make a professional uniform look like college or high school even.

2. I emailed a couple of equip managers last year and I actually got a response from 3 the Browns,Bengals and Ravens. They all said that the players wanted to wear the solid color socks or the same color socks as pants. Players have no idea how bad it looks.

1. What is a "professional team" supposed to look like? Are they all supposed to look the same? Are they supposed to all look like they did in 1965? Are they supposed to be as conservative looking as some NFL coaches are? There are a lot of college teams that look a hell of a lot better than any NFL team does.

2. Again, stripes socks are out. Have been, at EVERY level of football for years. Nobody wears striped socks in basketball or on baseball stirrups anymore either. There is a reason for it. Its 2007. Maybe 30 years from now, them and parachute pants will make a comeback.

Well, ZUBAZ are back, so....

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I can see the Bills change. I believe they petitioned the league to wear the throwbacks all season last year, and given the two year notification through the league, next year would be the first they could do it.

I think that was more a case of not liking the current uniform, then anything else. That throwback is OK, but if it was used all the time, it would look really dated. Many of those elements of that uniform are not that good anyway. Its just that the current uniforms are so bad, that about anything would look better in comparison.

The throwback will not become a full-time uniform anytime soon. Some elements of that uniform may be used. The helmet would have to change drastically (no chance that old logo would be used). The color scheme probably would be used (the royal blue). I could see silver being incorporated into it more (pants). I would think that navy and red would be de-emphasized in the next uniform redesign. It hasn't been well received and there are already more than enough teams using those colors. NFL properties wants teams to have their own identity. Royal blue and silver and red trim would do that.

The Bills next re-design will be a lot more basic, using elements of their past with a modernized look. And, some people I am sure will still think its too "modern" looking.

As for the Saints, I think we will see new uniforms in 2008. I think they almost got them done last year. No more mismatched golds. They will clean up the uniforms, with the same color scheme. Its hard to screw up black and vegas gold. Hopefully, they get rid of those stripes on the helmet (or make the stripes relevent). There is no need, with the current uni, to have that stripe pattern on the helmet. The white, especially, is out-of-place.

Why are stripes out? Have you seen uniforms today? While the solid sock looks good on a few uniforms, most look horrid with it (the Browns being a prime example)

And your thoughts on the Saints is just scary. I don't understand your design logic, and it makes my head hurt.

I don't understand why just because it's 2007, everything needs to look like :censored:. Maybe you like :censored:, but i don't.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Didn't Mike Nolan give an interview saying the 49ers were going to use something closer to the throwbacks starting full-time next year, because it's what he grew up with?

I could've swore someone mentioned it around the opening game, when there was some speculation they'd petition the NFL to wear the throwbacks all year to pay homage to Walsh.

i could see.......

redskins (maybe) go old school

rams (tweaking) maybe combining the two unis

eagles (adding) a silver pants?

falcons (adding) a silver pants?

bills (maybe) go old school

Unless you know something about Dan Snyder selling the team that I don't, I wouldn't expect any Redskins changes. I'm actually surprised he's allowed the white monochromes and all the socks shenanagans that have happened in the "Portis era".

I think it's funny that people think that coaches have any say whatsoever when it comes to uniform design in this day and age.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The only rumour I've heard is about a possible Browns change. The source is a Penthouse (Jan 2008) interview with Kellen Winslow Jr.
"You know what? We're in the process of changing that. Next year, your gonna see some new uniforms for the Cleveland Browns. This is really a big part of what Braylon Edwards and I have been talking about for a long time. It may be something similar to what the Broncos have. It's time for a change. Sometimes people live in the past in Cleveland. That's fine, but this team is trying to build an identity and start up something new."

Make of it what you want...

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in it. Winslow tends to run at the mouth.

nav-logo.png

Just as long as the Patriots and Steelers are not included, it will be fine. Those two teams should NEVER, EVER, EVER change their uniforms (especially the Steelers -- one of the most classic, timeless looks in all of team sports).

I hope you're referring to their pre-90's 'modernization,' and not the font-stylized :censored: they wear today.

nav-logo.png

I think it's funny that people think that coaches have any say whatsoever when it comes to uniform design in this day and age.

Yes, it is pretty humorous, isn't it?

Some of these guys are like dictators, but the uniform is usually off limits.

Gee, Old Conservative Mike Nolan wants throwback uniforms full time? What a shocker. He won't be employed long enough anyway, to have any say on what he thinks they should wear.

1. Why are stripes out? Have you seen uniforms today?

2. And your thoughts on the Saints is just scary. I don't understand your design logic, and it makes my head hurt.

3. I don't understand why just because it's 2007, everything needs to look like :censored:. Maybe you like :censored:, but i don't.

1. Do you watch football? Striped socks are like parachute pants and leisure suits. They are out-of-place. Do you still wear knee-high tube socks? They looked pretty cool in 1979 too.

2. Their colors don't match. Is that too hard to understand? Their new uniforms will finally match their golds. And, the helmet striping is completely out-of-place with the rest of the uniform. They have NO white in their home uniform (either the black/black or black/gold) yet, for some reason, have a white stripe on their helmet. It makes no sense.

3. And, many of us don't understand why some people think everything that was worn in the 1970's, still would look good and still should be worn today. Here is a newsflash........most of the uniforms from the 1970's were terrible. Just like most of the fashion from the 1970's was terrible. Can't keep living in the past.

Archived