NFL Caves

Mac the Knife

Whoever mentioned Bryant Gumble's uselessness as an announcer may actually have a pretty good point. Every major news review I've read of the NFLN's coverage of their games has cited a major weakness of the broadcast being Gumble's terrible skills behind a microphone.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Whoever mentioned Bryant Gumble's uselessness as an announcer may actually have a pretty good point. Every major news review I've read of the NFLN's coverage of their games has cited a major weakness of the broadcast being Gumble's terrible skills behind a microphone.

... he's good behind a microphone, but as a journalist, not as a play-by-play announcer. I laughed a bit when I watched the Today Show when they were talking about NBC showing the game. Matt Lauer asked who was doing the play-by-play, some guy named Bryant Gumbel.

I saw, I came, I left.

thank god. i would have missed this one!

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I'll have missed part of it either way. I'll be at my great aunts' :sleeping:

.... sounds like you like the Pats more than your great aunt?

Yes. But he'll reconsider if "Patsox's Great Aunt" gets her own dedicated crawl on the ESPN BottomLine.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

NBC and CBS are simulcasting the game from the NFL Network's feed, so it's the NFL Network's announcers. It makes no difference what channel you watch.

This does pose a problem for Boston Channel 5 and NY Channel 9. Both could potentially lose money from advertisers from the lost exclusivity in their local markets. Why should an advertiser pay $X for a commercial when there's no guarantee anyone would watch the game on that specific channel?

It's possible the NFL Network might compensate those two channels for the lost advertising dollars.

WWOR, channel 9, in New York is already complaining.

Ch.9 issued a statement that the NFL simulcast "is in clear violation of their agreement with WWOR/My9. We fully expect the League to honor their commitment to My9 as the exclusive free over the air broadcaster for Saturday's telecast of the New England Patriots at New York Giants game."

http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/...0,2829347.story

My guess is the game will probably end up being blacked out on NBC and CBS in Boston and NY.

NBC and CBS are simulcasting the game from the NFL Network's feed, so it's the NFL Network's announcers. It makes no difference what channel you watch.

Prepare to endure this for 3 hours (if you watch...)

Gumbel: Peyton Manning hands it off to Brian Jacobs...and he gets stopped up the middle by Phillip Seymour. Now it's 5th down and 6, and the crowd here at Jets Stadium is in a stunned silence...

Gumbel: Peyton Manning hands it off to Brian Jacobs...and he gets stopped up the middle by Phillip Seymour. Now it's 5th down and 6, and the crowd here at Jets Stadium is in a stunned silence...

Wow...I've never watched an NFL Network game, so I have no clue how Gumbel is as a commentator, but that sounds uhh...like I may just watch the game on mute.

Wow...I've never watched an NFL Network game, so I have no clue how Gumbel is as a commentator, but that sounds uhh...like I may just watch the game on mute.

At half time Gumbel could decide to call an entirely different game than the one happening in front of him and you'd never notice that he had switched. That's how bad he is.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I think this was one of the games (besides the GB/DAL game earlier in the season) that the NFL Network needed in order to say look, u wanna watch certain games, you need to subscribe to our network, but I wasnt complaining anyway, I get look at the game cause I live in NY.

I can't believe how many people are actually upset about this. NFL Network is the first step towards the NFL having a monopoly on the media access to its product. If the kinks in its plans don't get attacked now, we won't be able to see ANY games for free in a few years.

Sure you will - United Football League games! :)

nav-logo.png

I can't believe how many people are actually upset about this. NFL Network is the first step towards the NFL having a monopoly on the media access to its product. If the kinks in its plans don't get attacked now, we won't be able to see ANY games for free in a few years.

You put down a deposit, didn't you?

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

You put down a deposit, didn't you?

Uh, no... I don't support business ventures that might come to my town if I pay them something up-front.

nav-logo.png

Which leads to a trivia question......

When was the last time 2 major TV networks broadcast the same major football game?

Super Bowl I, broadcast by NBC and CBS (as the broadcast partners of the AFL and NFL, respectively). Unlike this game, each network used its own commentators (and, I believe, production crews).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived