What kind of fan are you?

Sport

I'm usually in team gear and cheer for my guys. I won't bother another team's fan unless they say or do something to me. Being a Buc fan up here, I had the joy of going to a Cleveland game last year and they really don't treat the other team's fans that well...and it's embarrasing to see grown men fight over two 4 (3 at the time) win teams.

KISSwall09.jpg

I wear like to wear team colors (usually a jersey) and get verbally supportive. But I don't usually heckle. Mostly because there's always 2 or 3 guys around me that got better snaps.

The only time I get obnoxious is when those fat, waddling Cubs fans come to Miller Park. And that's only because I know I'll never be as big a douchebag as those morons. But I usually limit it to a few "1908" chants and usage of our favorite 3-letter acronym for our Friendly Illinois Bretheren :D

Not saying all Cubs fans are like that, but the ones who go to Miller Park (most of whom have chips on their shoulders because they can't get tickets at Wrigley) deserve their rep...

I'm the kind of fan that recognizes, first and foremost, that sports is a commercial entertainment enterprise. Fortunately for the most part it is one that's readily accessible for free (via television) and, as such, my 'fandom' nowadays extends as far as it can without shelling out any of my own money. Not that I'm cheap (far from it in fact if you'd see my credit card statements), but I just choose not to spend the money I make by giving it to billionaires in order to be entertained by multi-millionaires.

That's not to say I spend nothing at all on sports however. If I see a cap I like, a shirt or whatever, I'll buy it - but that impulse isn't predicated on it being for a specific franchise. I do attend minor league games in various sports. I enjoy amateur sports immensely, particularly since getting involved in them through my non-profit organization.

I don't wig out when a team I'd like to see win a game doesn't. I don't rejoice all that much when one does. I tend to take a neutral, somewhat distant stance from that, and as a result I tend to appreciate the games far more than I did when I was more partisan.

nav-logo.png

I think that nails the difference between my two modes of fandom, Mac. My soccer fandom seems more connected--the team I support here in Minnesota isn't big-time, we have drinks with the front office and sometimes even players, etc. So I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to that. As for the major league sports, there's obviously much less of a connection--I'm certainly not going to randomly run into a Wild player outside of a local hockey rink where his family is gathering in the party room (this happened with a Thunder player a couple months ago, and we talked for a few minutes).

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The only time I get obnoxious is when those fat, waddling Cubs fans come to Miller Park.

They're easy to spot amidst the fitness models of Milwaukee.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm the kind of fan that recognizes, first and foremost, that sports is a commercial entertainment enterprise. Fortunately for the most part it is one that's readily accessible for free (via television) and, as such, my 'fandom' nowadays extends as far as it can without shelling out any of my own money. Not that I'm cheap (far from it in fact if you'd see my credit card statements), but I just choose not to spend the money I make by giving it to billionaires in order to be entertained by multi-millionaires.

That's not to say I spend nothing at all on sports however. If I see a cap I like, a shirt or whatever, I'll buy it - but that impulse isn't predicated on it being for a specific franchise. I do attend minor league games in various sports. I enjoy amateur sports immensely, particularly since getting involved in them through my non-profit organization.

I don't wig out when a team I'd like to see win a game doesn't. I don't rejoice all that much when one does. I tend to take a neutral, somewhat distant stance from that, and as a result I tend to appreciate the games far more than I did when I was more partisan.

+100 for you.

I usually spend most of the evening complaining about the run of play of both teams to the person with whom I drag to the game.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

When it comes to Baseball and football, I root for The Reds and Bengals, my hometown teams. But since there is no NBA or NHL team in my city, then I root for whoever. I've always loved the Avalanche and the Ducks, but I feel that I have to root for my home state team as well, the Bluejackets. In the NBA I root for whoever I want, whenever I want (but mostly for the same teams: Memphis, Cleveland, and Phoenix).

But college basketball is what I really get into. And no matter how bad the Cincinnati Bearcats are playing I still root for them. I will not root for Xavier or Miami ever (except in the one case last year when XU was playing Ohio State in the tourney, because I hate OSU hoops).

I go to games wearing the team's colors, usually a t shirt with the teams logo on it. I'll cheer when neccessary, and I'll boo if the situation calls for it.

Depends on the sport...different sports have different atmospheres.

College basketball? When Winthrop's playing and I'm not the mascot, I go absolutely nuts. Heckling opposing players, opposing fans, head-to-toe in team colors, face paint if necessary. It's how college basketball SHOULD be.

However, on a personal basis with opposing teams' fans...it's different. Winthrop played Missouri State at home about a month ago, and there were around 25 Missouri State fans in attendance. Winthrop had a 24-point lead in the first half, and I was all over everybody. When Winthrop blew that lead in the 2nd half and ended up losing, I was STILL all over everybody. But, I saw a few visiting fans in the concourse after the game, congratulated them on a very nice come-from-behind win, asked how their trip was, where they were staying, talked basketball for a few minutes. I guess is what I'm trying to say is when you're yelling at the game, you can be as obnoxious as you want, but when it comes down to a personal level, there's no need to get ugly.

For pro sports, it's different. Still in team colors, not head to toe...for Winthrop games, it's hat, jersey, shorts, socks...for pro sports it's usually a jersey and hat. Still some outbursts of fandom, but not anywhere near the level of the college sports.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Most of the time I go to games, I'm the least vocal guy in the building. This is merely because my favorite teams reside in Anaheim(Angels), Detroit(Lions/Wings), and Phoenix(Suns), whereas I'm most likely to see a game in Philly or Baltimore. However, if my teams actually make the trip to Philly or Baltimore, I'm a bit more lively, although I've only seen two of my favorite teams live. I saw the Wings lose 6-1 to last season's superb Flyers club, so I spent the bulk of the game chanting for Jimmy Howard to enter the game.

However, I've seen the Angels play in Baltimore twice, and, as both games were a bit closer than I'd like, I've really gotten into the thick of the game. I actually got yelled at last year by a parent for swearing, as I told Howie Kendrick's long fly ball to "get the f--- outta here"....it did, for the record. Generally, I'm pretty good at keeping my mouth in check, but, well, we all slip up occasionally. :D

I guess is what I'm trying to say is when you're yelling at the game, you can be as obnoxious as you want, but when it comes down to a personal level, there's no need to get ugly.

Amen. We don't get many visiting USL fans in Minnesota, since the closest team to us is Rochester (NY). But when we do, we always invite them to tailgate with us before the game. We then hate them for 90 minutes, and afterwards all drink together. A group of us followed the Thunder on a Pacific Northwest swing last year, and the supporters in Portland and Seattle were exceptionally hospitable to us before and after the games.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

i wear the jersey and sit back and enjoy the game. stand up and cheer when team scores, get frustrated when team plays like :censored:. its the :censored:s around me that make it impossible for me to go the game. i swear when i used to go to isles games, i would get fans around me that would heckle all game long. i'm like shut the hell up i'm trying to watch the game. its usually the :censored:s around me that ruin my experience. i stopped going because of it. i rather enjoy it from the comfort of my own home. i dont' get passionate or hate on people or anything like that i reserve that for the team. i just enjoy a good match.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

The only time I get obnoxious is when those fat, waddling Cubs fans come to Miller Park.

They're easy to spot amidst the fitness models of Milwaukee.

Chicago makes those "fattest city" lists every year... we don't :P

I'm usually the type of guy that shows up to a game in team attire and sit back and watch the game and relax. It usually takes me a while to get into the action and get pumped up, unless its a huge game for the team. I will say though, when I do get wild, its awesome.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

It depends on the sport.

For football, I'm more likely to wear team gear and get drunk. Football games, I think, are far better enjoyed on television than in person. However, I have been to several games, both NCAA and NFL. I can't say that I've ever had a really, really great time. The USC/UW game I went to earlier this season, however, was fun for the first half, if only because I wasn't freezing, and still had my buzz. By the second half, I was just tired and ready to go home.

Baseball, however, is different. I like going to games after happy hour after work, so I'm definitely far less likely to be in gear (but normally in a sportcoat). I always buy bleacher seats and spend half of the game chatting with friends. I like to think that because I'm in bleachers that my inability to concentrate on the game doesn't bother others, but it probably does. It's fun though.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived