Proposed NCAA playoff format

runnerdud05

Since the bowl season started last month, I've been thinking about a playoff format that may work. 1. You have to re-align some conferences.

Pac-13 (Because of the amount of West Coast D-1 schools,and location)

California Region

USC

UCLA

Stanford

California

San. Diego State

Fresno State

San Jose State

Northwest Region

Oregon

Oregon State

Washington

Washington State

Idaho

Boise State

Hawaii

Mountain West Conference (12 teams)

South

Arizona

Arizona State

Nevada

UNLV

New Mexico

New Mexico State

North

BYU

Utah

Air Force

Wyoming

Colorado State

Utah State

Sun- Belt

Troy

Florida Atlantic

Louisiana- Monroe

Middle- Tennessee

Arkansas State

Louisiana- Lafayette

North Texas

Florida International

Louisiana Tech

TCU

Western Kentucky

Atlantic Coast

Boston College traded back to the Big East for South Florida

Big East

South Florida traded to ACC for Boston College

Army included

Big Ten

Notre Dame for Big Ten

Conf.USA

Marshall traded to Big East for Louisville

Mid. American

Navy included

Rest of the coferences are left alone.

1. No more than 2 teams per conference can get into a playoff

2. Four regions (West, East, South, Central)

3. No polls, no BCS.

4. Standings for the regions. 8 teams per region get in.

5. Rest of .500 teams they don't make playoffs can play in the bowl games that are available

6. National Championship rotates

Thats the idea I came up with.

unclerebus.jpg

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

For once, Fred and I are in agreement.

Secondly, some of these moves are absolutely ridiculous. There's no way in hell Arizona and Arizona State want to leave the Pac-10. There's no chance TCU wants out of the Mountain West to join the freaking Sun Belt. This is absolutely stupid.

For once, Fred and I are in agreement.

You should agree with me more. Among the side effects are clear thinking, increased vision quality, and improved regularity!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

The Pac-10 is staying the Pac-10. They will never expand to 12, 13 or 1000 teams! They have the perfect format for football & basketball: EVERYONE PLAYS EACH OTHER!

The Pac-10 isn't expanding anytime soon but in 20 to 25 years, I could see them adding Nevada and UNLV mainly due to Nevada being the fastest growing state in population and economy.

The only conference switching that may happen is BC and Miami quietly going back with the Big East football schools when the catholic and football schools finally split in around 8 years. BC is totally out of place in the ACC and is spending alot of money shipping non-revenue teams down south to play and Miami needs the exposure of being on TV in the big Northeastern TV markets to help in recruiting and to be looked at as a national power.

The Pac-10 is staying the Pac-10. They will never expand to 12, 13 or 1000 teams! They have the perfect format for football & basketball: EVERYONE PLAYS EACH OTHER!

The Pac-10 isn't expanding anytime soon but in 20 to 25 years, I could see them adding Nevada and UNLV mainly due to Nevada being the fastest growing state in population and economy.

The only conference switching that may happen is BC and Miami quietly going back with the Big East football schools when the catholic and football schools finally split in around 8 years. BC is totally out of place in the ACC and is spending alot of money shipping non-revenue teams down south to play and Miami needs the exposure of being on TV in the big Northeastern TV markets to help in recruiting and to be looked at as a national power.

UNLV & Nevada are not academically up to the standards set by Pac-10 Universities. Even 20 years from now they probably still won't be.

BC isn't out of place. At first, I was against the move, but now I agree. I agree about the money but we need to build a reputation of travelers(the fans) and that's not going to happen in the Big East. Not that the teams are bad, but they're not prominent and we need to make a statement in a league of prominent, storied teams in down years. Plus, we won the ACC regular season and were this close from being on right now in the Orange Bowl(GRRR...). Miami, though, is another story, but I think they'll be fine.

UNLV & Nevada are not academically up to the standards set by Pac-10 Universities. Even 20 years from now they probably still won't be.

The same could be said about Wazzu and Oregon. :P

Seriously, though, a PAC-13?

Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

The way these two, along with Virginia Tech, left the Big East, there's no shot in hell they'll ever be invited back.

As for the travelling/financial aspect, you gotta give a little to get a little more. The ACC offers more financially (especially through football and TV deals) that Big East doesn't have (at least, didn't have at the time when BC left the Big East). And travelling isn't that much more a burden....BC would make trips to Tampa (South Florida), Cincinnati, Louisville, Chicago (DePau), and Milwaukee (Marquette) if they stayed in the Big East.

BC isn't out of place. At first, I was against the move, but now I agree. I agree about the money but we need to build a reputation of travelers(the fans) and that's not going to happen in the Big East. Not that the teams are bad, but they're not prominent and we need to make a statement in a league of prominent, storied teams in down years. Plus, we won the ACC regular season and were this close from being on right now in the Orange Bowl(GRRR...). Miami, though, is another story, but I think they'll be fine.

The ACC isn't a prominent football conference, they are on par with the Big East in fighting for the 5th spot among BCS conferences and the ACC is 0-8 this decade in BCS Games. Basketball wise it's a side step since both conferences are to big and watered down.

Sending non-revenue teams halfway across the country to play conference games is a big drain on the budget, just ask Penn State they thought joining the Big Ten would solve the problem of the football team revenue funding all of the non-revenue sports but the extra cost of sending the women's golf team to places like Madison, WI and St. Paul, MN still has football revenue covering all of the bills.

Honestly, can this in The Graveyard?? and soon.

While I like the love of sport from some of the younger posters who have "ideas" on hwo they would like to reshape sport, but you and others need to actually research your thoughts before this.

1-Academic standards for conferences which that you weren't aware of. Looking at Wikipedia could help you out in seeing that. That is not that hard and factual information is here. Then again, you may not be eligible for those schools. These institutions werer mostly built before intercollegiate sport.

2-University presidents will approve your plan because it's yours...? Sorry

3-I am one of those who does think that if Texas wants to move to the Pac 10, I think it could happen, but won't in the next 5 years. There are non-stop flights from Austin-Bergstom to all areas, except to Oregon (and OSU) or Pullman. Plus the media market would include Dallas/Fort Worth for football and basketball since there are athletes there. The cable regional information is another story as their is a current Big XII early daytime contract.

To try and save this from the graveyard:

The NCAA is mulling a plan to add two teams to the I-AA tournament, essentially adding two 'play in games'. Smaller confrences such as the Pioneer and Northeast are calling for an at large bid.

What does everybody think?

(I know, feeble attempt to save, but it's all I could think of)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Why does college football need a playoff? People on TV and the internet talk about it as if it wre some great injustice. Is your life any worse off not having the national championship decided on the field?

Well, if no one's life is worse off by arguing about sports, then why even have them? Technically, since most of us are investors and purchasers of the sport (through apparel, tickets, and even higher cable/dish prices because of how the costs flow down), if the sport isn't offering a higher or equal value than we paid for monetarily (which you might not get because of not having a playoff), than you are worse off.

Okay, enough economics, and back on topic. I was very against the bowls before, but after watching most of them (and also I think I am in withdrawal still from not being able to go to anymore Michigan games as a student, and having a policy of not going to any bowl games besides the national championship), I think that the bowls still mean alot. I really don't think that scrapping them fully would be good.

However, I really hate the current system. It's really not the BCS's fault. No matter whatever ranking system we used, there is going to be some argument, especially when it is subjective. That's why we always argue about who got snubbed from the Pro Bowl, or who got left out of the NCAAs, or even who got left out of the BCS. But the argument of 65-66 (NCAA), 10-11 (BCS), and so forth, is a lot less than 2-3. Team 66 wouldn't have won the NCAAs. However, Team 3 could have probably won the national title in football. Therefore, I really think we need to give more teams a shot. I think probably a 4, 6, or 8 team playoff would do (remember back in the day when the NCAA Football video game had a playoff option? that was only 4 or 8 teams).

Also, since the BCS is basically an independent entity that pays colleges and conferences to play in their games, I think we need a new independent entity to pay colleges and conferences even more to compete in their playoff. I really think that is the only way a full playoff happens.

Why does college football need a playoff? People on TV and the internet talk about it as if it wre some great injustice. Is your life any worse off not having the national championship decided on the field?

Subjective voting to crown a champion is for figure skating and gymnastics not a team sport.

Subjective voting to crown a champion is for figure skating and gymnastics not a team sport.

The NCAA doesn't vote anyone a national champ, outside agencies do that.

For what it's worth, since bowl season started I've been thinking about beating the crap out of people who come up with these stupid realignment ideas.

That's my idea.

How is this in keeping with your profile (or whatever you call it)?

-- "And on Earth peace, good will towards men (and broads)"

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived