Iowa Stars New Alt.

Korbyn

I think I just vomited a little in my mouth....

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

My money is that these were a warm up jersey. You don't see any opponents, or fans for that matter. Plus the MDA on the shoulders tells me it was for a charity auction, although those are usually game worn, looks like a special none the less.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Actually, it might actually be from a game (aren't they having attendance woes?)

I agree with the one-time charity auction idea, though, given both the general hideousness of these jerseys, and their otherwise unannounced appearance.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Woah, are they still in the 90's up there in Iowa?

South Park Episode 218 - Prehistoric Ice Man:

Larry: What is that? [drops the hose]

Kyle: It's this place called Des Moines. It's like, lost in time, see? [opens the guide to show Des Moines's assets] Everybody looks like you do. [flips the page] Fashion is two years behind, Technology is two years behind, fads, are two years behind, just like you. [hands him the guide to look over]

Larry: [closes it with affection] Home.

Kyle: Come on, Steve, you're going to Des Moines!

Stan: Oh, no you don't, glory-monger! Gorak is my respnosibility. I'll take him to Des Moines!

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I recently went to an Indianapolis Ice game and they had warmup jerseys. I remember commenting to my friend that the socks didn't match (white socks but the warm up was light blue) and that they were Maple Leafs Socks. I got an eye roll...

I had never seen that in a hockey game, but I haven't been to many games before.

This is what these look like to me.

The Iowa Stars wore these jerseys for one game only (Jan 12th vs. Rockford Ice Hogs). Immediatly following the game, the jerseys were auctioned off via a live auction. The winning bidder got to go down to ice level, meet their player, get an auto, and then got the jersey off the player's back. Winning bids ranged from $450 up to $1750.

All proceeds from the jersey sale went to benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association. In addition to the jersey sale, a portion of ticket sales also went to benefit the MDA. Prior to the Stars game, there was also a game pitting local firefighters and policemen against eachother. This is an annual event that they have dubbed "Guns & Hoses." There was also a teddy bear toss, chuck a puck, and several raffles and memorbilia auctions which also went to benefit the MDA.

This event helped draw in additional fans which brought attendance up to 4,400+ (3,700 average). A solid night for the Stars.

Overall it was a good time. The Stars did a pretty nice job with this. Though they aren't a popular design, the jerseys were pretty well recieved and were a main focus point in the stands. Fans really seemed to like them. And while up close I didn't love them, from the stands, they looked pretty good.

But these jerseys aren't something to get too worked up about. I think this was a one and done sort of thing. I doubt we'll see these again.

I recently went to an Indianapolis Ice game and they had warmup jerseys. I remember commenting to my friend that the socks didn't match (white socks but the warm up was light blue) and that they were Maple Leafs Socks. I got an eye roll...

I had never seen that in a hockey game, but I haven't been to many games before.

This is what these look like to me.

The thought of "warm-up" jerseys in minor league hockey goes back to the 90's in the ECHL when the league had rules against sponsor patches on game jerseys. As a couple of other leagues failed, teams that moved in to the league were coming from leagues where selling patches on jerseys was a major source of income. The ECHL allowed teams to come out with warmup jerseys with large sponsorship patches (or sublimated logos) that were worn for all of pre-game warmups, public appearances, etc. I know in a couple of places, the teams even sold warmup jerseys for yet another source of income.

Eventually the ECHL relented and allowed the patches, but some teams elected to continue the practice of warm-up jerseys.

(aren't they having attendance woes?)

They do seem to be struggling mightily at the gate this year - averaging 3,689 a game, down a whopping 24% from last year -and I don't get it. Is it an Omaha-type situation, where the junior team in town is more entrenched, more affordable, and therefore, more popular?

(On two semi-related notes: it'll be interesting to see how the new af2 Barnstormers fare this season, and for crying out loud, somebody kill off the Lowell Devils already. Less than 2k a game can't cut it in the IHL, why should it in the AHL?)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Iowa Stars wore these jerseys for one game only (Jan 12th vs. Rockford Ice Hogs). Immediatly following the game, the jerseys were auctioned off via a live auction. The winning bidder got to go down to ice level, meet their player, get an auto, and then got the jersey off the player's back. Winning bids ranged from $450 up to $1750.

All proceeds from the jersey sale went to benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association. In addition to the jersey sale, a portion of ticket sales also went to benefit the MDA. Prior to the Stars game, there was also a game pitting local firefighters and policemen against eachother. This is an annual event that they have dubbed "Guns & Hoses." There was also a teddy bear toss, chuck a puck, and several raffles and memorbilia auctions which also went to benefit the MDA.

This event helped draw in additional fans which brought attendance up to 4,400+ (3,700 average). A solid night for the Stars.

Overall it was a good time. The Stars did a pretty nice job with this. Though they aren't a popular design, the jerseys were pretty well recieved and were a main focus point in the stands. Fans really seemed to like them. And while up close I didn't love them, from the stands, they looked pretty good.

But these jerseys aren't something to get too worked up about. I think this was a one and done sort of thing. I doubt we'll see these again.

Now it all makes sense.

Were you at the game?

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Now it all makes sense.

Were you at the game?

Yea I was at the game. My girlfriend and I were the unofficial photographers for the Guns and Hoses game. We got to stay for the Stars game, and then hung around afterwards for the auction.

Really !?

Thats awesome!

GO STARS!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

The Iowa Stars wore these jerseys for one game only (Jan 12th vs. Rockford Ice Hogs). Immediatly following the game, the jerseys were auctioned off via a live auction.

Winning bids ranged from $450 up to $1750.

These situations must be a source of bragging rights, teasing and other assorted fun among the players and coaches in the locker room after the game.

I'd hate to be the schlub whose jersey sells for $200 less than everyone else's. :cry:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived