Chiefs to wear Lamar Hunt patch full time

PriestMVP31

KCChiefs.com article

Lamar Hunt Patch Becomes a Permanent Part of the Chiefs Uniform

Jan 31, 2008, 9:14:54 AM

Kansas City Chiefs Chairman Clark Hunt announced on Thursday that the club has received approval from the National Football League to make the Lamar Hunt patch a permanent addition to the Chiefs uniform beginning in 2008. The Chiefs wore the patch in 2007 as a tribute to their Founder, who passed away on December 13, 2006.

?For all of his countless accomplishments in the world of sports, my father?s legacy will always be most closely linked to the founding of the American Football League and its subsequent merger with the NFL,? Clark Hunt commented. ?The patch is a fitting tribute for his contributions to the league and a permanent reminder of the indelible mark he left on the game.?

Lamar Hunt served as the guiding force behind the formation of both the American Football League and the Kansas City Chiefs franchise. Few individuals helped change the face of America?s favorite game for the better than this quiet Texan. Hunt played a key role in the AFL-NFL merger talks in the ?60s and actually coined the term ?Super Bowl.?

As part of this permanent tribute to Hunt on Kansas City?s uniform, the Chiefs will continue to wear a commemorative patch that prominently features the American Football League logo to serve as a reminder of Hunt?s formation of the AFL and the lasting impact that league has made on the game of professional football. True to Hunt?s humble style, the letters ?LH? are subtly displayed on the football of the AFL logo, symbolizing the fact that the Chiefs Founder always put the best interests of the league ahead of his own. The patch is be affixed to the left chest of both Kansas City?s home and road jerseys, meaning this piece of woven symbolism will be worn over the heart of every Chiefs player.

0C9AC0ACA3F14A889D06B6428D13BB7C.JPG

Gotta say...this is one of those rare occurances where I think this is a good move. I don't so much agree with the use of the patch full time...but I do think they should have some how incorporated "LH" into the sleeve stripes a la "GSH" with the Bears and the "AL" for the Browns....albeit that last one is rediculous......

Gotta say...this is one of those rare occurances where I think this is a good move. I don't so much agree with the use of the patch full time...but I do think they should have some how incorporated "LH" into the sleeve stripes a la "GSH" with the Bears and the "AL" for the Browns....albeit that last one is rediculous......

I agree.

A patch should NEVER be a permanent fixture of any uniform unless its a 'Captain's patch' or something of that nature.

I like it. The "LH" is so subtle it looks like it's just homage to the AFL (which technically it is). Looks good though, different, and classy.

Nice.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I love the need for teams to put the initials of old dead men on their jerseys.

At least this patch is well done.

Considering what Halas and Hunt meant for the Bears and Chiefs, as well as their contributions to the league, I feel that these memorials are justified.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I love the need for teams to put the initials of old dead men on their jerseys.

At least this patch is well done.

Well, Clark Hunt (current owner of the Chiefs) is Lamar Hunt's son, so the team is definitely a family-run organization (with the exception of that rat, Carl Peterson). Since Lamar Hunt formed the AFL and helped create the league as we see it today (including creating the name "Super Bowl") I believe it's perfectly fitting to the team.

I also had a patch sewed onto my Gonzalez jersey and it looks pretty good.

I don't like this for the same reasons that I don't like the "patriotic" lapel pins. It's reached a point where if you are not wearing a lapel pin, you are viewed (by some) as not being patriotic, so it is the absence of the pin rather than the presense that makes the statement.

I think this is the same thing. When any owner dies, if he isn't "immortalized" with a uniform tribute, is that going to be viewed as a slight against that owner? I have no doubts that this will not be the last uniform tribute, and that it will eventually get out of hand.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't like this for the same reasons that I don't like the "patriotic" lapel pins. It's reached a point where if you are not wearing a lapel pin, you are viewed (by some) as not being patriotic, so it is the absence of the pin rather than the presense that makes the statement.

I think this is the same thing. When any owner dies, if he isn't "immortalized" with a uniform tribute, is that going to be viewed as a slight against that owner? I have no doubts that this will not be the last uniform tribute, and that it will eventually get out of hand.

Well put.

Frankly, I think the various memorials we're seeing this year are already out of hand across the board. It's masterbatory, more about drawing attention to the wearer than the supposed honoree.

That having been said, I do agree that Hunt holds a special place in football history. So okay, give it to him. But then stop.

I think your FIRST paragraph is well put, but your second one I completely disagree with.

By your logic, you are equating Lamar Hunt will all other dead owners. Should the Rams wear a permanent Georgia Frontiere patch? Absolutely not. Her contributions to the team may or may not have been great, but I can gaurantee that her contributions to the league aren't even a drop in the ocean of the legacy of Lamar Hunt.

I agree that uniform tributes are getting out of hand, especially this season with all of the fallen players. But lets not let that cloud the very necessary and appropriate immortalization of one of the most important and influencial men in NFL history.

True, but I think you may be missing his point. Not that teams should be equating other owners with people like Hunt and Halas, but that they will. And, in fact, at least one team already does.

Al Lerner did nothing for Cleveland except put money into a guaranteed investment. He was more instrumental in getting the first Browns to skip town than he was the replacement franchise to move there. And yet the Browns honor him (not, you know, Paul Brown) with a permanent uniform tribute. Even Frontiere (who I agree is wholly undeserving of a permanent tribute) did more for her franchise and city than Lerner did for his. The AL patch cheapens other tributes with its phony pretention.

Halas, yes. Hunt, yes. If anybody else, Wellington Mara. But you have to draw the line somewhere, and his point (as I read it) is that teams themselves can't be trusted to draw that line. Not when they can draw attention to themselves by elevating undeserving owners to this lofty height.

That's about right. Not slighting Hunt in the least.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived