Forgettable sports teams

FiddySicks

MLB - Toss up between the Royals and Pirates.

NBA - I will go with the Clippers.

NFL - I would have to say the Lions. Not trying to be a homer, but 0-16 and 2-14? Any worse than that, and you are in a coma.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except the Clippers and Lions actually are relevant. The Clippers for their status as sports punchline and the favorite constantly-beaten dead horse of lazy sportswriters, and as for the Lions, 0-16 was technically a historic achievement and it did actually get people talking about them, and the Barry Sanders glory years weren't that long ago.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

They average less then 500 homes ratings-wise

You forgot a zero. It's somewhere in the 4-thousands. It's comically pathetic enough as it is - no need to exaggerate.

Even Canadian sports writers forget to mention the Panthers when naming southern teams in relocation articles.

This is, far and away, one of the most damning arguments for irrelevancy, and a very true one.

"Hey, how about we float the idea of moving Florida to Quebec in tomorrow's edition?"

"The Lightning? No, new ownership, Stanley Cup, established fanbase, it's too far-fetched."

"No, I was talking about the Florida Panthers."

"The what now?"

Even when the most rah-rah of Canadians on this board have started foaming at the mouth about Making It Somewhere Between Seven And Ten (Halifax!), I don't think I've ever seen a legitimate mention of moving the Panthers. And this is from the likes of people who think the Ducks and Stars could or should head north.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Is it just me or was the Panthers' recent transfer of ownership from Alan Cohen to two minority partners kind of murky and unresolved? Do we know the terms of the deal by which they acquired the majority stake? There's not a chance that Cohen just threw the keys on the desk and the NHL is kinda-sorta running this team too, is there?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Atlanta I wont include because its the Capital of the South, and it should have an NHL team...

...I would probably move the...Sabres

You're suggesting that Atlanta is a better (ie: more relevant) hockey town than Buffalo? LMAO...are you out of your ever-lovin mind?!?! Atlanta is on their second shot at a team, and they still can't bring in fans. So you want to just give the Birds a cup winner so they'll draw fans? Put the bong down...

Buffalo sells out nearly every game, has one of the best TV ratings in the entire league, and are very competetive on the ice...all this despite not winning any Cups.

Atlanta winning a Cup and/or fans? I'd be more willing to bet that every single Southeastern team will relocate into Canada before the decade is out.

They average less then 500 homes ratings-wise

You forgot a zero. It's somewhere in the 4-thousands. It's comically pathetic enough as it is - no need to exaggerate.

Ah, my mistake.

Even Canadian sports writers forget to mention the Panthers when naming southern teams in relocation articles.

This is, far and away, one of the most damning arguments for irrelevancy, and a very true one.

"Hey, how about we float the idea of moving Florida to Quebec in tomorrow's edition?"

"The Lightning? No, new ownership, Stanley Cup, established fanbase, it's too far-fetched."

"No, I was talking about the Florida Panthers."

"The what now?"

Even when the most rah-rah of Canadians on this board have started foaming at the mouth about Making It Somewhere Between Seven And Ten (Halifax!), I don't think I've ever seen a legitimate mention of moving the Panthers. And this is from the likes of people who think the Ducks and Stars could or should head north.

Yeah, they've failed to such an extent that they don't even register as a failed southern team.

The sad thing about the Panthers though? They had so much potential. The Aves/Panthers Cup Finals was one of the earliest I remember. I remember thinking the plastic rats on the ice was cool. I remember Vanbiesbrouck's mask being the end-all-be-all of cool, and getting back to the rats, I remember the Florida crowds as coming across as really passionate on the tv. And looking back, when they were at least somewhat competitive and played in downtown Miami they drew decent to good crowds.

Then they moved to a rink in the middle of a swamp next to an outlet mall. Who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to take a pro sports team out of one of the most lively downtown areas in the US and stick them in a place even suburbanites consider out of the way? That move, more then anything I think, marked the team's rapid downward spiral to irrelevance.

Also the Ducks and Stars? You'd have to be pretty far down the rabbit hole to think moving those teams would be good ideas.

I'd just like to say that when I started this thread, I never thought it would turn into a 13-page, 248-reply masterpiece. I feel honoured.

Even though the debate ended pages ago: It's the Florida Panthers, and it's not close.

• 2 weeks later...

From a fan perspective:

NFL: Jacksonville Jaguars. There's a difference between "most irrelevant" and "most losing." Teams like the Detroit Lions still get mentioned for their glory days or their losing streaks. Nobody really talks about Jacksonville except when talking about closing down the franchise and moving it to LA or Vegas, etc.

And from a more casual fan perspective:

NBA: Golden State Warriors. Sure the Clippers are bad, but again they get picked on by Leno and Letterman every night. They're the worse half to the Lakers. I'd say maybe the Bucks would be up there, too.

MLB: KC Royals are a good pick for this one. Again, for the same reasons you can't say the Cubs. But maybe the Padres or Pirates would be good 2nd place picks here.

NHL: Honestly, most all the NHL is irrelevant to me because I don't watch hockey. But as far as a team that I NEVER hear any mention of (except for concepts on this board), I'd go with San Jose Sharks.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

From a fan perspective:

NFL: Jacksonville Jaguars. There's a difference between "most irrelevant" and "most losing." Teams like the Detroit Lions still get mentioned for their glory days or their losing streaks. Nobody really talks about Jacksonville except when talking about closing down the franchise and moving it to LA or Vegas, etc.

And from a more casual fan perspective:

NBA: Golden State Warriors. Sure the Clippers are bad, but again they get picked on by Leno and Letterman every night. They're the worse half to the Lakers. I'd say maybe the Bucks would be up there, too.

MLB: KC Royals are a good pick for this one. Again, for the same reasons you can't say the Cubs. But maybe the Padres or Pirates would be good 2nd place picks here.

NHL: Honestly, most all the NHL is irrelevant to me because I don't watch hockey. But as far as a team that I NEVER hear any mention of (except for concepts on this board), I'd go with San Jose Sharks.

What?! Are you mad, woman? :shocked:

The Sharks were the #1 seed in the West last year. That's hardly irrelevant.

I will agree that everybody else on that list is at least a good candidate for irrelevancy, however.

Insert Signature Here?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Pirates are too bad to be truly irrelevant. Also they have played a significant part in their sport's history to be truly irrelevant as well. The Royals are probably as good a pick as any for Baseball.

The Jaguars are a good call for the NFL, the Panthers are on the same sort of level as well.

I like the Bucks for the NBA. From a relatively anonymous location, slight success a long time ago, but even that shows their irrelevance as it ended when one or two players left.

How about the Canucks for the NHL?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Why are people even debating who is the most irrelevant team in the NHL, if not all of major North American sports? I thought it already established (at least on these boards) that the Florida Panthers are THE irrelevant team around here.

Why are people even debating who is the most irrelevant team in the NHL, if not all of major North American sports? I thought it already established (at least on these boards) that the Florida Panthers are THE irrelevant team around here.

Exactly. This is, by now, just a debate for a distant second place.

I would definitely say the Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Hornets, Sacramento Kings, and Washington Wizards. (And Im a Wizards fan). I think you could probably delete any of those teams from the NBA and the casual fan wouldnt notice or care.

Also, none of those teams really have much of a history (that i can recall), whereas at least the bucks were pretty good in the 70s and 80s.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

What?! Are you mad, woman? :shocked:

The Sharks were the #1 seed in the West last year. That's hardly irrelevant.

I will agree that everybody else on that list is at least a good candidate for irrelevancy, however.

Like I said, I don't pay any attention to hockey. Period. But it seems like when I'm watching other sports, they're always mentioning the Red Wings, Penguins or Bruins. So from the standpoint of someone who doesn't know the difference between icing and cake frosting, the Sharks are a team I haven't heard anything about lately.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The Wizards have an NBA title if I'm not mistaken (as the Bullets), so they have a history.

I know that, as I am one of the biggest Wizards fans you will find. But it was in the late 70's, and its not like they were anything close to a dynasty. We're talking relative, here.

The very fact that you had to say "if im not mistaken" shows how relatively forgettable that team was.

I feel like the Bucks winning years were just better "remembered".

I also wouldn't include a newer team that hasnt been around long (like the Bobcats) because i dont feel like theyve been around long enough to have a fair "chance".

I'm just saying. If the Bucks get a pass for being good a long time ago then so do the Wizards. Though I do have to say that your NBA list is more or less on the ball (no pun intended). Still, even the most irrelevant NBA team is much more relevant then the Florida Panthers.

I'm just saying. If the Bucks get a pass for being good a long time ago then so do the Wizards. Though I do have to say that your NBA list is more or less on the ball (no pun intended). Still, even the most irrelevant NBA team is much more relevant then the Florida Panthers.

I don't know. Eyeballing their histories, it looks like the Bucks have made the playoffs about 75% of the seasons theyve been around, where as the Bullets/Wizards seem to make it about 50%. I guess I'll at least say its a toss-up.

Archived