Forgettable sports teams

FiddySicks

what has helped dallas for the most part is the fact since moving from minnesota, they've pretty much fielded competitive teams through out their tenure in dallas. i think this season is the first time since moving to dallas that they missed the playoffs 2 strait years in a row. so that has helped them to a great deal. plus the cup run of 99 gave them a great boost. so they do have their die hards down there in texas. What hurts them [along with mavs, rangers] they tend to get dwarfed by Dallas Cowboys football, College football, and high school football which is on a higher priority than the 3 other major dallas teams.

I think attendance is down but that has a lot to do with the team pretty much sucking since their run a couple of years ago. once they get to winning they'll be fine, they really are on par with the mavs. mavs win, people show up and give them attention, same for the stars.

what hurts a team like the Panther is they don't have a history of being competitive, aside from that run in 96, they have no real history of fielding a competitive hockey club. in market like florida where high school football is on a higher priority than most pro teams, it is only expected the panthers are on the irrelevant list.

as for the islanders, they haven't fielded a competitive team in 15 something years. every year they find new ways to suck and disappoint fans. once they start winning they will be relevant again. presuming people still remember that there is an ice hockey team here not named the rangers.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3/4ths of the irrelevency of the Panthers has to do with location. Like DustDevil said, people go to Miami to get away from cold weather. There aren't many people who go to Miami with the intention of going to an ice hockey game with South Beach and it's nightlife and the Latin flavor and cuisine permenating throughout the city.

They're not in Miami proper anymore, though, that's the big thing. They're up at an outlet mall in Broward County, halfway to Fort Lauderdale, specifically so they could carve out a niche as the sports team for South Florida's white people. They're not fighting Latin culture, they're fighting anti-culture. But obviously, nobody's going to the games or watching them on television, so it looks like this gambit failed.

Ever heard the probably apocryphal story about Jack Kent Cooke and the L.A. Kings? He was confident that the Kings would draw well from day one because there were so many transplanted Canadians in southern California. When they didn't demonstrate an immediate thirst for hockey, he said "well, I guess that's why they don't live in Canada anymore."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3/4ths of the irrelevency of the Panthers has to do with location. Like DustDevil said, people go to Miami to get away from cold weather. There aren't many people who go to Miami with the intention of going to an ice hockey game with South Beach and it's nightlife and the Latin flavor and cuisine permenating throughout the city.

They're not in Miami proper anymore, though, that's the big thing. They're up at an outlet mall in Broward County, halfway to Fort Lauderdale, specifically so they could carve out a niche as the sports team for South Florida's white people. They're not fighting Latin culture, they're fighting anti-culture. But obviously, nobody's going to the games or watching them on television, so it looks like this gambit failed.

Ever heard the probably apocryphal story about Jack Kent Cooke and the L.A. Kings? He was confident that the Kings would draw well from day one because there were so many transplanted Canadians in southern California. When they didn't demonstrate an immediate thirst for hockey, he said "well, I guess that's why they don't live in Canada anymore."

Techincally, they are part of the Miami Metro Area (Which includes Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach), but your point does still stand.

Well, a good part of the whole irrelevency could be that this team hasn't been in the playoffs for 9 seasons. Even then, that last trip was pretty much one and done (swept by New Jersey that year, if you really wanted to know). There is potential for a attendence surge should they start winning because they have the fifth largest arena in terms of capacity in the NHL (Only Montreal, Chicago, Detroit and Tampa Bay have larger capacities).

Attendance figures say the Panthers averaged 15,146 this year. Even taking visits from the northeastern teams into account, that seems highly dubious to me.

The Panthers are kind of in the same rut as the Coyotes, in that they've built a fantastic building for ice hockey that sits empty because it's inconveniently located and nobody really likes hockey there anyway. The latest round of Pass The Panthers (now owned by some dudes from New York) sort of went under the radar because of the Balsillie episode, so their demise will be forestalled a few more years, but if you look at everything that this organization is bad at, I see no way they ever turn this thing around unless Gary Bettman gets the league to buy this team, make lopsided trades, and hire a coach to install a trap. Their marketing sucks. Their ratings suck. The team on the ice sucks, the trades suck, the drafting sucks, the development sucks, but apparently nothing is ever done so incompetently that major change can be effected (that or it is and nobody cares enough to fix it), so they just chug along as a perpetually 10th place team. They must have a sweet deal with Broward County that allows them to operate the building and collect revenue from non-hockey events. That's the only reason I can think of that the Panthers exist, to be a loss leader for arena management.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Attendance figures say the Panthers averaged 15,146 this year. Even taking visits from the northeastern teams into account, that seems highly dubious to me.

The Panthers are kind of in the same rut as the Coyotes, in that they've built a fantastic building for ice hockey that sits empty because it's inconveniently located and nobody really likes hockey there anyway. The latest round of Pass The Panthers (now owned by some dudes from New York) sort of went under the radar because of the Balsillie episode, so their demise will be forestalled a few more years, but if you look at everything that this organization is bad at, I see no way they ever turn this thing around unless Gary Bettman gets the league to buy this team, make lopsided trades, and hire a coach to install a trap. Their marketing sucks. Their ratings suck. The team on the ice sucks, the trades suck, the drafting sucks, the development sucks, but apparently nothing is ever done so incompetently that major change can be effected (that or it is and nobody cares enough to fix it), so they just chug along as a perpetually 10th place team. They must have a sweet deal with Broward County that allows them to operate the building and collect revenue from non-hockey events. That's the only reason I can think of that the Panthers exist, to be a loss leader for arena management.

I totally agree with everyone about the Panthers being useless. I mean, here in Buffalo, you have a hard time even filling the rink when the Sabres play them. But that's because of the brand of hockey they play more than anything. It's disturbingly boring playing that 90's style trap. And without any "superstars" to market them, they will be in hockey hell for a long time coming. The Bolts get some fan base more so because they play a fast and exciting type of hockey...but I fear those days may be numbered because they can't possibly hang on to their top 3 forwards for much longer.

But that detracts from my point. Florida is no hockey market and they never were. So how can you label them irrelevant when the whole area is worthless for hockey? The Tri-State area is supposed to be some hockey hot-bed, but the Isles and Devils have a hard time filling to capacity (did I read somewhere that Dallas and Phoenix play in front of bigger crowds than both of those teams on average? I have to look that up). It shouldn't be that difficult! Here in the Greater Buffalo and Niagara area, we have far fewer people than the Tri-State area, and yet, the Sabres are playing at capacity nearly every single night...even after suffering through a bit of crappy hockey the last two years. That's why, IMHO, the Isles (and to a lesser extend, the Devils) are far more irrelevant team than the Panthers.

As for the other majors:

MLB: I don't watch baseball...never really got into watching a bagillion games a year and endless roster moves...so my opinion might not hold weight. But I can't tell you the last time I heard anything about the Diamondbacks.

NBA: Another dumb sport. Get rid of the gobs of timeouts at the end of a game and maybe we'll talk. But I'll at least watch some playoff games. Living in NY State, I get the Knicks, Nets, Celtics and Raptors shoved down my throat...but I can't say I ever hear anything about the Wizards, Grizzlies, or Bucks...but that could be geographics more than anything.

NFL: I can honestly have a good opinion hear cuz I love football. Diehard Bills fans since they sucked in the 80's. My choice for irrelevant team? Miami Dolphins. I don't care that they won two championships in the 70's or that they went undefeated. Their fans are totally comprised of transplants, and they are only "fans" because it's the trendy thing to do. Plus, there is no sense of rivalry with their division opponents anymore. The Bills and Dolphins used to love to hate one another, but now every Bills game in Miami is loaded with Bills fans? WTF is that? If they want to make Miami valid again, they'll realign the divisions to give them a chance to build new enemies. (I know, I know...the fact that Miami is in the Bills division is because Ralph Wilson practically begged the league to keep them there back when the league expanded in the 90's...but now it looks like a retarded move...I'd rather see Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Indy in the East.)

And for the record, Jacksonville is a close second as far as useless teams.

I finally saw someone here in central Illinois wearing a Florida Panthers jersey. I nearly wanted to go shake her hand, but it wasn't meant to be.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

As for the other majors:

MLB: I don't watch baseball...never really got into watching a bagillion games a year and endless roster moves...so my opinion might not hold weight. But I can't tell you the last time I heard anything about the Diamondbacks.

NBA: Another dumb sport. Get rid of the gobs of timeouts at the end of a game and maybe we'll talk. But I'll at least watch some playoff games. Living in NY State, I get the Knicks, Nets, Celtics and Raptors shoved down my throat...but I can't say I ever hear anything about the Wizards, Grizzlies, or Bucks...but that could be geographics more than anything.

Other than the fact they have a Cy Young Award winner in the last few years or is the host to the 2011 All-Star game, I wouldn't say they are irrelevant.

Also if you think it's dumb don't talk about it, there are fans here who think the world of baseball and basketball.

I finally saw someone here in central Illinois wearing a Florida Panthers jersey. I nearly wanted to go shake her hand, but it wasn't meant to be.

There had to be one eventually. :) Probably got it real cheap -- or free. I've been meaning to dig mine out, but I'm waiting for their next trip to the UC.

And I liked the arguments I read here in support of the Texas Rangers, so I'll put my vote behind them.

Also if you think it's dumb don't talk about it, there are fans here who think the world of baseball and basketball.

I'm sure there is, as I'm sure there are people who dislike hockey and/or football. Does that mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion?

I enjoy playing all sports, but watching pro baseball and basketball on TV is lame to me. I suppose if Buffalo had teams here, I may show a little more interest...

But in the realm of irrelevant teams, wouldn't it make sense to have a non-fan point them out? I mean, you always see the fuggin' Yankees/Red Sox and Celtics/Lakers plastered all over ESPN, right? I may not follow those sports full time, but I know what is happening for the most part. If I notice (or fail to notice) certain teams, wouldn't the fact that they aren't on my radar for long stretches of time suggest that they are irrelevant?

Maybe I'm putting way too much thought into all that...I'm going back to work...:)

As for the other majors:

NFL: I can honestly have a good opinion hear cuz I love football. Diehard Bills fans since they sucked in the 80's. My choice for irrelevant team? Miami Dolphins. I don't care that they won two championships in the 70's or that they went undefeated. Their fans are totally comprised of transplants, and they are only "fans" because it's the trendy thing to do. Plus, there is no sense of rivalry with their division opponents anymore. The Bills and Dolphins used to love to hate one another, but now every Bills game in Miami is loaded with Bills fans? WTF is that? If they want to make Miami valid again, they'll realign the divisions to give them a chance to build new enemies. (I know, I know...the fact that Miami is in the Bills division is because Ralph Wilson practically begged the league to keep them there back when the league expanded in the 90's...but now it looks like a retarded move...I'd rather see Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Indy in the East.)

And for the record, Jacksonville is a close second as far as useless teams.

I'm not one to bash anyone's taste in sports but don't call outright call something dumb. I don't really get into basketball, but I realize there are people who do (many more people then fellow fans of my favourite sport, hockey). I'm not going to call basketball "dumb" just because it's not my bag.

As for the rest of your post, sorry, but I can't seem to understand any reason for you to list the Miami Dolphins as irrelevant other then homerism. This is the "Most Irrelevant Team in Sports" thread, not the "Take the Team That's a Division Rival to My Favourite Team and Call Them Irrelevant" thread.

The Dolphins are always in the news it seems, for one thing or another. The 1972 team, love them or hate them, are always around whenever a team hits the 8-0 mark in a season. So no, they aren't irrelevant. 'Cause if the Dolphins are irrelevant, the the Bills sure as hell are.

I'm not one to bash anyone's taste in sports but don't call outright call something dumb. I don't really get into basketball, but I realize there are people who do (many more people then fellow fans of my favourite sport, hockey). I'm not going to call basketball "dumb" just because it's not my bag.

Agreed...maybe "dumb" was a strong word. No disrespect was implied.

As for the rest of your post, sorry, but I can't seem to understand any reason for you to list the Miami Dolphins as irrelevant other then homerism. This is the "Most Irrelevant Team in Sports" thread, not the "Take the Team That's a Division Rival to My Favourite Team and Call Them Irrelevant" thread.

The Dolphins are always in the news it seems, for one thing or another. The 1972 team, love them or hate them, are always around whenever a team hits the 8-0 mark in a season. So no, they aren't irrelevant. 'Cause if the Dolphins are irrelevant, the the Bills sure as hell are.

Perhaps I didn't get my point across. I could care less that Miami is in the Bills division...and that's the problem. The Dolphins aren't a rival anymore and they haven't been since the Kelly/Marino wars. The point I'm trying to make is that Miami stopped being relevant to the NFL the second Marino packed it in. Aside from the fact that they can't fill a warm weather stadium with their own fans, the team hasn't produced a legimate winner in quite some time. When was their last championship? Superbowl VIII? And they haven't been to the big game since XIX? Hell even my Bills did their 4-choke-in-a-row more recently then that. Fans don't care what happens to them, and ownership seems content with putting just enough talent on the books to win 8 games a year and bomb out in the first round.

I'm not making this out to be some personal vendetta against them. Really, I could care less if they were in the league or not. They are no true rival anymore. The games against them have little meaning whether we win or lose. No, the Bills are not good and haven't been in at least 10 years, but even so, the 70,000 fans that pack that cold weather outdoor stadium every week makes them far more relevant than the Fish...

Oh, and just to be clear. I LOVED the Bills/Dolphins games throughout the mid-80's right up through 1999. I ENJOY having rivalries here and in ALL sports. I loved-to-hate the Dolphins back them, but I respected them, and that is important to note. That same way I hate the Senators/Maple Leafs/Canadiens versus the Sabres, but I love those games and I have a sense of respect for each of them. Rivalries make sports FUN!

The Bills/Dolphins games now? They're a joke. The Bills overload the stadium here for our home game, and then go down and make up half the Dolphins stadium when it's supposed to be THEIR home game. The Dolphins USED to be relevant, but now they are the Bills of the South, but with far fewer fans.

The oxymoron here, is that once you make a list of irrelevant teams they begin to become relevant. I'll make one anyway:

Ranked by most irrelevant:

1. Indiana Pacers

2. Golden State Warriors

3. Milwaukee Bucks

4. Minnesota Timberwolves

5. New York Knicks

6. Los Angeles Clippers

7. Sacramento Kings

8. New Orleans Hornets

9. San Antonio Spurs

10. New York Islanders

The Florida Panthers are so irrelevant, you forgot to put them on your list. Exhibit #352, your honor.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Here's something to spruce things up around here.

Are the Toronto Argos the most irrelevant CFL team?

Like the Leafs the Argos are disappointing and bad, but they aren't irrelevant. They get a story on TSN every time the coach changes loafers.

As much as I hate to admit it being a fan, I think the Ti-Cats get the honour of being the most irrelevant team in the CFL.

Archived