Forgettable sports teams

FiddySicks

The Bills insured remaining on this list, by hiring Chan Gailey.

Any team in the NFL is automatically exempt from being irrelevant. Even the worst teams in football get their attention. Just because you're bad doesn't mean you're irrelevant. Now the Florida Panthers on the other hand...

true.

The cowboys even at their worst see the 5-11 trilogy, they got quadruple the coverage from the news outlets than the Stars/Mavs/Rangers did combined. Thats a stars team that was comming off a cup run, a mavs team that was on the upswing and getting some attention and a rangers team that well is irrelevant in the city of arlingon. The cowboys aside from their play off win this year, hasn't done anything relevant in 13 years, yet they are are far more relevant than the stars/mavs/rangers combined.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any team in the NFL is automatically exempt from being irrelevant. Even the worst teams in football get their attention. Just because you're bad doesn't mean you're irrelevant. Now the Florida Panthers on the other hand...

true.

The cowboys even at their worst see the 5-11 trilogy, they got quadruple the coverage from the news outlets than the Stars/Mavs/Rangers did combined. Thats a stars team that was comming off a cup run, a mavs team that was on the upswing and getting some attention and a rangers team that well is irrelevant in the city of arlingon. The cowboys aside from their play off win this year, hasn't done anything relevant in 13 years, yet they are are far more relevant than the stars/mavs/rangers combined.

I'm going to have to disagree here (though not by much.) Here's what I posted a few pages ago:

Yes. Absolutelyyes. The league is set up so that it is hard to achieve irrelevance,but it can happen, and there aren't different degrees of irrelevancy -once you're irrelevant, you ain't relevant. The Jacksonville Jaguarscertainly irrelevant, despite being in the most successfulleague. Their only "hint" of relevancy is their position as acandidate to fill the LA hole. That's not good.

It's hard in the NFL. Real hard. But it can happen, and IMO has happened in Jacksonville. There's no reason for anyone not in Jacksonville to really be aware of this team's very existence, except for when their teams are playing the Jags. They're not even terribly relevant in their own market, hence the attendance issues and move talk. If they were to just leave Jacksonville in Mayflower trucks over night, would more than a handful of people notice/care?

The NFL does a great job, and it's really hard for any of their clubs to fall into this category (and I don't think the Bills qualify - they're just in a temporary slump... but even at the worst, they have an entire city supporting them, and they're very important to that city), but I think that Jacksonville is there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 4 weeks later...
In South Florida, for example, the Panthers are averaging only 4,000 homes for their games.

Well, Board of Governers and Mr. Bettman, how's that Versus deal working out for you right now? How are the Panthers fairing? :suspect:

I agree with the "worst team" doesn't mean "most irrelevant" theme. Teams like the Nets get enough exposure for being beyond awful.

NBA: Grizzlies or Bucks

NFL: Chiefs

NHL: Panthers

MLB: Not sure.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

In South Florida, for example, the Panthers are averaging only 4,000 homes for their games.

Well, Board of Governers and Mr. Bettman, how's that Versus deal working out for you right now? How are the Panthers fairing? suspect.gif

The Versus deal is retarded and it's hurting the league a lot, but I don't think that's why people aren't watching local Panthers coverage.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 1 month later...

Can we do what just about everyone on these boards is thinking and send this team somewhere else? Better to put a large cat (or any dying animal) out of his misery than to simply let 'im bleed to death, right?

This team has become far more than a joke. I can name 6 American and 3 Canadian cities that would be a better place for an NHL team than Miami:

American Cities:

--Kansas City

--Portland, OR

--Salt Lake City

--Hartford

--Seattle

--Houston

Canadian Cities:

--Hamilton

--Winnipeg

--Quebec City

Sorry for the rant; I don't intend to make this a "where should NHL teams go" thread, but something has got to be done with this organization. However, that would make too much sense. :wacko:

Ladies and Gentleman shut this thread down now, the debate is OVA!!!

We have got a winner in the Most Irrelevant sweepstakes, and it is you Florida Panthers.

Perhaps we can continue and name the Most Irrelevant team not called the Florida Panthers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

3-Colorado Avalanche Toronto Maple Leafs: What occurred with them in the last eight 40 years? No new talent, just trading for olds.

Fixed. Plus, your comment could be used for about 10 other teams.

My most irrelevant (Rarely talked/thought about)

NBA: Indiana Pacers

MLB: Kansas City Royals/Baltimore Orioles

NHL: Columbus Blue Jackets/Nashville Predators/Florida Panthers

Most stuck in mediocrity (Talked about every now and then, but never any good)

NBA: Golden State Warriors

MLB: Chicago Cubs/Houston Astros

NHL: Buffalo Sabres/LA Kings

Most disappointing (Talked about a ton, but still not that good)

NBA: Dallas Mavericks

MLB: New York Mets

NHL: Toronto Maple Leafs

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3-Colorado Avalanche Toronto Maple Leafs: What occurred with them in the last eight 40 years? No new talent, just trading for olds.

If you're trying to peg the Maple Leafs as irrelevant, you've failed at the internets. They may be awful, management may have their heads up their a$$es, but they are FAR from irrelevant.

The answer is now, and always will be, the Florida Panthers.

If you're trying to peg the Maple Leafs as irrelevant, you've failed at the internets. They may be awful, management may have their heads up their a$$es, but they are FAR from irrelevant.

I didn't peg them as most irrelevant. I pegged them as disappointing. I think you've failed at them readings. Nobody south of the Ontario border cares about the Leafs. They haven't done anything worthwhile in 45 years. No one thinks they'll win a championship in the next 50. So yeah, I guess they're irrelevant. Get over it, and welcome to someone else's point of view. If you're going to tell me that Leafs games always sell out...well, let me paraphrase Lee, "3,000,000 people also bought snuggies."

ahh...confetti. IMO sportswise, it should only be restricted for either reaching your league championship or for after you win the hardware. I really hated the fact that the Bucks mgmt felt the need to let the confetti rain down for regular season wins (until this year, anyway. only speaking for myself, I don't miss it.)

fan appreciation day or not, confetti should not be used to celebrate impotence and futility. It's like that guy who shouted UNSTOPPABLE BABY! after making a layup while his team was getting blown out.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I didn't peg them as most irrelevant. I pegged them as disappointing. I think you've failed at them readings. Nobody south of the Ontario border cares about the Leafs. They haven't done anything worthwhile in 45 years. No one thinks they'll win a championship in the next 50. So yeah, I guess they're irrelevant. Get over it, and welcome to someone else's point of view. If you're going to tell me that Leafs games always sell out...well, let me paraphrase Lee, "3,000,000 people also bought snuggies."

Ah, seems like a touched a nerve with one bitter Avalanche fan*. Sorry to break it to you, but when it comes to hockey, being relevant in Ontario is, to quote the good Vice President of your country, "a big f***ing deal."

*To expand on the Avalanche thing, I bring it up because anyone who reads the order of posts in your little tirade will notice you really pounced on the Leafs out of nowhere when someone dared to suggest the Avs weren't relevant. You want to get on my case about not accepting someone else's point of view, then perhaps you need to take your own advice. Because this whole exchange started when you got pissy about someone calling your team irrelevant. The funny thing about this? You're actually getting pissy at, and lashing out at, me for simply saying disagreeing with your notion that the Toronto Maple Leafs are irrelevant (I have a good feeling most people here, even those who aren't Leafs fans would agree they aren't irrelevant).

I mean it's one thing if you disagreed with me and you asserted your opinion. Nothing wrong with that. To get as pissy about it as you are, and to lash out in the manner you are, however, is really amusing.

Tell you what, hook up with ICS and trade notes about waging internet jihads against people who disagree with you on the interwebs.

The Maple Leafs are the most popular hockey team in Canada, and even when they suck, they suck on a grand scale by doing things like bringing in Brian Burke and his band of goons to unsuccessfully nutpunch their way through the modern NHL, or really the entire Harold Ballard era in general. Also, they're worth like half a billion dollars. To call them irrelevant is to totally miss the point of this exercise. Tank was right: this question has been answered. Confetti!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Maple Leafs are the most popular hockey team in Canada, and even when they suck, they suck on a grand scale by doing things like bringing in Brian Burke and his band of goons to unsuccessfully nutpunch their way through the modern NHL, or really the entire Harold Ballard era in general. Also, they're worth like half a billion dollars. To call them irrelevant is to totally miss the point of this exercise. Tank was right: this question has been answered. Confetti!

I'm sorry, sir, I obviously missed the point. I guess it takes a narcissist or two to point me in the right direction...

1. The Panthers are irrelevant. I believe a consensus has been reached, at least until the next round of expansion in any of the major sports federations.

2. Although I lol'ed at the internet jihad line, quit making this personal. You're both entitled to your opinions, but carrying out a pissing match over the Leafs of all teams is infantile. They're not irrelevant, but they are disappointing. Annoying, too.

3. Columbus over Detroit going to the east? You're on crack.I'd personally like to see two teams come west and put both Chicago and STL in the east, keep the original 6 together, and redefine the divisions again. Having two divisions in the west stretch over three time zones is stupid.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived