2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

Reports are surfacing that Sabathia is a Brewer...

Well I hope this works out like the Bartolo Colon trade did for The Indians. For those that don't remember, Cleveland got Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, and Brandon Phillips in that deal.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No surprise there, the Indians had been scouting the Brewers' farm teams, so there was a more-than-likely chance that he'd be going there.

I guess now this helps their chances in tracking down the Cubs.

The whole division is better than expected (except the Reds), but I don't think that Sabathia will be the answer toward tracking down the Cubs. I'm not sure of all of the farm players in the deal, but Matt LaPorta, LF who hit a grand slam in his first minor league plate appearance, is too good of a prospect to trade away for a 6-8 pitching spot for 3 months. Then again, they signed Ryan Braun LF for 8 years, so LaPorta would not get a lot of time at his natural position.

Not exactly what I was hoping to hear. Not only did Sabathia not go to the Cubs, he went to a a team within the division.

Since this trade means the Brewers are in it to win it, and with the Cards being so close to the Cubs, it's possible that even if the Wild Card winner comes out of the NL Central, the team with third-best record in the National League could be left out of the playoffs alltogether. (Which by the way, is how the NL currently stands.)

This would mean yet another low-blow to Chicago fans if the odd man out at the end of the season were to be their beloved Cubbies. :(

6uXNWAo.png

Not exactly what I was hoping to hear. Not only did Sabathia not go to the Cubs, he went to a a team within the division.

Since this trade means the Brewers are in it to win it, and with the Cards being so close to the Cubs, it's possible that even if the Wild Card winner comes out of the NL Central, the team with third-best record in the National League could be left out of the playoffs alltogether. (Which by the way, is how the NL currently stands.)

This would mean yet another low-blow to Chicago fans if the odd man out at the end of the season were to be theie beloved Cubbies. :(

That's a true Cub fan right there: Always predicting and preparing for the worst. :D

In a weak NL, the Brewers are going for it and I love this move. In the playoffs, a 1-2 of Ben Sheets and CC Sabathia is going to be very hard to beat. This makes them the favorites in the NL in my book.

IUe6Hvh.png

In a weak NL, the Brewers are going for it and I love this move. In the playoffs, a 1-2 of Ben Sheets and CC Sabathia is going to be very hard to beat. This makes them the favorites in the NL in my book.

That is if CC has more in the playoffs than what we saw last year. The Sox teed off of Sabathia in the postseason.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

That's a good point. I think what got him last year was that, by the end of the regular season, he'd thrown a great deal more innings than he had ever thrown in a single year in his career, which is what actually won him the Cy Young. So I think fatigue, and playing such patient teams (Yankees and Red Sox) is what really did him in.

IUe6Hvh.png

This would mean yet another low-blow to Chicago fans if the odd man out at the end of the season were to be their beloved Cubbies. :(

Don't sweat it. These deals never work. They're a waste of time.

BB52Big.jpg

That's a good point. I think what got him last year was that, by the end of the regular season, he'd thrown a great deal more innings than he had ever thrown in a single year in his career, which is what actually won him the Cy Young. So I think fatigue, and playing such patient teams (Yankees and Red Sox) is what really did him in.

Well that might be it except that it wasn't. Look at his last few starts before the playoffs. He went 4-0 with a 2.37 era in September. His WHIP was .97 in September. The only point in the season where it was lower was in June. His batting average against was his lowest of the season in September. He sure didn't seem to be showing any signs of wear and tear. His last month of the season is what won him the Cy Young. In the playoffs? He choked plain and simple.

BB52Big.jpg

Fair enough. You watched him an awful lot more than myself so you would certainly know better. I never looked into the numbers very deeply, from the end of the regular season into the playoffs, it's just that when I see a pitcher go that far into uncharted territory in regards to IP and pitch counts, I tend to expect the kind of performances we saw from CC in the playoffs. I mean, we're talking 240 IP for a guy who averages about 190-195 throughout his career.

But you're probably right. The ill-effects weren't there late in the season, and it's difficult to ignore the impact that big games have on some, be it positive or negative. Obviously, being a Red Sox fan, the example I'd point out would be Josh Beckett, who thrives on that stage.

I still like the trade from the Brewers stand point... only time will tell whether it was good from the Indians side of things. Hard to imagine it'll be as good as the Colon deal it doesn't have to be to be a good trade. I like the Indians decision to trade him, I will say that.

IUe6Hvh.png

Nooo. My dad and I were going to Chattanooga on Friday to see the Lookouts play the Stars. We wanted to see LaPorta and all these other great players. Hopefully they don't all get traded.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Nooo. My dad and I were going to Chattanooga on Friday to see the Lookouts play the Stars. We wanted to see LaPorta and all these other great players. Hopefully they don't all get traded.

From my understanding, the RBI and batting average leader will remain the team, Mat Gamel.

LaPorta, P Zach Jackson, and P Rob Bryson are on the move, but it sounds like they'll also want a player to be named later. I just hope it's not Gamel.

What a way to kick off the Century of Futility festivities! :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And Jeff Francoeur has been sent down to Double-A.

If this means that he'll stop swinging at anything that is remotely around the batting area, then this is good news.

A miracle must've happened, that's the only way he could've been called up after only 3 days.

A miracle called "sending 3 players to the DL".

That's a true Cub fan right there: Always predicting and preparing for the worst. :D

Sadly, forecasting Chicago's fate is like a sixth sense to us Cubs fans.

And in addition to switching leagues, Carsten Charles Sabathia no longer wants periods after the initials he uses for his first name.

6uXNWAo.png

And Jeff Francoeur has been sent down to Double-A.

If this means that he'll stop swinging at anything that is remotely around the batting area, then this is good news.

A miracle must've happened, that's the only way he could've been called up after only 3 days.

A miracle called "sending 3 players to the DL".

None of the three were outfielders, though Infante can be considered an emergency outfielder.

Something tells me Francouer's swing doesn't suddenly get fixed after a weekend in the minors.....

Archived