2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

Fox Sports and SI are reporting Ken Griffey, Jr. is on his way to the Chicago White Sox, pending his approval.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/base...esox/index.html

Hmmm...I don't know what to think. For one, I don't know who we're giving up. And two, I don't know where/how often Griffey plays. This trade works if we aren't giving up one of our top prospects (i.e. Josh Fields) and if we take Paul Konerko out back behind the barn.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ANAHEIM ANGELS of los angeles

Best Team in Baseball

whistling.gifB)

But who am I kidding right? EAST COAST BIAS RULES! :P

GO SOX! GO YANKS! GO PHILS! GO METS!

:rolleyes:

Best Team =! Best Record

Chicago, Boston, Chicago, and Philadelphia all have better Pythagorean W-L.

As well, they have the same Pythagorean W-L as the Yankees.

They've been lucky and play in a horrible division.

I had no idea Pythagoras was a baseball fan.

I saw, I came, I left.

Mets will take it if they play up to their full potential and perhaps make a trade not a major trade. Getting an OF and a Reliever is all thats needed along with the Phillies not playing their best friends in Washington. I mean I rather see the Phillies play St. Mary Catherine's School for the blind baseball team then the Gnats.

Yeah, because a relief pitcher and someone like Raul Ibanez etc. will stop Carlos Beltran from being the most overrated POS I've ever seen in a Met uniform...(and I swear to god if you tell me "well he's got 72 RBI's he's so good look!!!" I'll flip).

Because that will allow Brian Schneider to magically start putting the ball in play.

That will magically heal all that ails Pedro and Maine.

Wagner wouldn't possibly be able to melt down in a big spot anymore.

I could go on and on and on...

While that would obviously help, it doesn't mean its all the Mets need...

Oh, and what if Philadelphia plays up to THEIR full potential? Hell, it took the Mets a 10-game winning streak that NOBODY thought was even REMOTELY possible to get them back in the mix...so let's not break out the popsicles just yet, OK?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Fox Sports and SI are reporting Ken Griffey, Jr. is on his way to the Chicago White Sox, pending his approval.

Hmmm...I don't know what to think. For one, I don't know who we're giving up. And two, I don't know where/how often Griffey plays. This trade works if we aren't giving up one of our top prospects (i.e. Josh Fields) and if we take Paul Konerko out back behind the barn.

I think this trade is going to be good for the Sox. I doubt they would give up Fields, and assuming they didn't they should come out on top. As far as where Griffey plays, I think you have to bench either Konerko or Thome. Neither of them are doing anything this year. They can move Swisher to first then and put Griffey in center.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I think this trade is going to be good for the Sox. I doubt they would give up Fields, and assuming they didn't they should come out on top. As far as where Griffey plays, I think you have to bench either Konerko or Thome. Neither of them are doing anything this year. They can move Swisher to first then and put Griffey in center.

ESPN is reporting we're giving up RHP Nick Masset and 2B Danny Richar. Konerko/Thome alternating DH, with Konerko and Swisher alternating at 1B

2IA3b.png

LOS ANGELES ANGELS of Anaheim

Best Team in Baseball

whistling.gifB)

Best Team =! Best Record

Well, it's a shame that Pythagorean W-L doesn't matter one iota in terms of playoff races then. Also too bad that the Halos amassed two sweeps against a team supposedly with a better Pythagorean W-L.

VmWIn6B.png

ANAHEIM ANGELS of los angeles

Best Team in Baseball

whistling.gifB)

Best Team =! Best Record

Well, it's a shame that Pythagorean W-L doesn't matter one iota in terms of playoff races then. Also too bad that the Halos amassed two sweeps against a team supposedly with a better Pythagorean W-L.

Which is why I hate stats like this. Who cares about stats like that. The bottom line is wins and losses, no matter how you get them. and LMU has a perfect point: the Angels are definitely a good team, they proved it in those sweeps.

We're giving up Richar and Masset. I really don't mind giving up Richar; I was very high on him after we lost Iguchi - he really stepped up and played very well. But now that we have Alexei Ramirez, I don't feel the need to keep him. Trading away Masset is what I don't quite understand. Our bullpen is already a bit shaky (Linebrink has his injury issues, so does Thornton), so why give up someone we've been counting on throughout the season? I certainly don't want to see Contreras being used at all, not even as a reliever. I'd much rather keep Clayton Richard as our 5th starter and either Carrasco or Broadway as a long-relief pitcher.

Kenny Williams has always had some sort of man-crush on Ken Griffey, though. He's a good player, and hopefully with him being in the lineup it'll light a fire under Konerko's ass. God knows he's been sucking badly lately.

LB2nd.png

chicagowhitesox.pngchicagobears.pngchicagobulls.pngchicagoblackhawks.pngchicagofire.png

I'm not sure if this move to bring in Griffey really helps the White Sox all that much. He's not going to play every single day with Thome as Chicago's DH, and unless they switch Swisher or move Konerko to the bench or out of town (if anyone would even take him at this point), just to get Griffey in the lineup.

Regardless, Junior isn't the high impact player he once was. The Southsiders could have just went after a cheaper player with similar numbers, perhaps Seattle's Raul Ibanez, or someone like that.

6uXNWAo.png

We're giving up Richar and Masset. I really don't mind giving up Richar; I was very high on him after we lost Iguchi - he really stepped up and played very well. But now that we have Alexei Ramirez, I don't feel the need to keep him. Trading away Masset is what I don't quite understand. Our bullpen is already a bit shaky (Linebrink has his injury issues, so does Thornton), so why give up someone we've been counting on throughout the season? I certainly don't want to see Contreras being used at all, not even as a reliever. I'd much rather keep Clayton Richard as our 5th starter and either Carrasco or Broadway as a long-relief pitcher.

Kenny Williams has always had some sort of man-crush on Ken Griffey, though. He's a good player, and hopefully with him being in the lineup it'll light a fire under Konerko's ass. God knows he's been sucking badly lately.

Well supposedly we've been talking to Oakland about getting Huston Street and St. Louis has come to us about Kyle Lohse. I wouldn't mind seeing Contreras as a middle reliever, maybe bringing him in before you would Dotel.

I think Richard has some promise, but we need to make sure we have the best of the best out there if we wanna fight off the Twinkies and play in what is going to be a VERY tough postseason, especially in the ALDS and ALCS. Maybe they're looking for a way to send down Richard to AAA so he regains eligibility to play for the US Olympic Team.

2IA3b.png

Well supposedly we've been talking to Oakland about getting Huston Street and St. Louis has come to us about Kyle Lohse. I wouldn't mind seeing Contreras as a middle reliever, maybe bringing him in before you would Dotel.

I think Richard has some promise, but we need to make sure we have the best of the best out there if we wanna fight off the Twinkies and play in what is going to be a VERY tough postseason, especially in the ALDS and ALCS. Maybe they're looking for a way to send down Richard to AAA so he regains eligibility to play for the US Olympic Team.

There's no way in hell Contreras should be used as a reliever. He takes to long to "loosen up" when he starts games, I'd hate to see him blow a two or three run lead in the seventh inning about three times a week. At this point it's Thome, Swisher and Konerko on the line. One of them has to get traded. Konerko has been struggling, but I'd much rather trade Thome. Maybe one of them will get us a nice bullpen arm. Street is a pretty sexy option, if I do say so myself.

LB2nd.png

chicagowhitesox.pngchicagobears.pngchicagobulls.pngchicagoblackhawks.pngchicagofire.png

There's no way in hell Contreras should be used as a reliever. He takes to long to "loosen up" when he starts games, I'd hate to see him blow a two or three run lead in the seventh inning about three times a week. At this point it's Thome, Swisher and Konerko on the line. One of them has to get traded. Konerko has been struggling, but I'd much rather trade Thome. Maybe one of them will get us a nice bullpen arm. Street is a pretty sexy option, if I do say so myself.

Remember though, that Konerko is just like a Griffey and since he's also a "10-5" he has to approve any trade.

Thome I don't think will get dealt either since I think the Phillies are still paying at least half of his contract.

2IA3b.png

Oh man... the closer it gets to the deadline... I'm gonna miss this sum'bitch... :cry:

manny-ramirez-flag.jpgmanny_luves_thaladies-745748.jpg

Don't trade him. Not for Jason Bay.

Manny and the Sox have made nice before... they can do it again!

Possible good news for (most) Boston fans out there -- According to the Red Sox's unofficial team mascot, Peter Gammons, the Manny-to-the-Marlins deal is "close to dead".

ESPN Trade Deadline Blog

6uXNWAo.png

Well now the (White) Sox have 3 old guys who are power hitters, yet one DH spot. Honestly I think Thome should DH, Swisher and Konerko platoon at first, and have Griffey play center. Is Griffey in center really going to work out? Who knows, but it should get interesting. I want to see how the White Sox go about their outfield.

I have to give the edge to Cincy here, but mainly because of Masset. I would think taht Richar would be more valuable to Chicago because Cincy had Phillips at second for the foreseeable future. Masset, though, who I honestly don't know too much about, sounds like an intriguing pickup for the Reds bullpen, which is actually rather good now. Besides, I don't see Griffey doing too much more than he has, which is already declining to about a league-average player with some plus power, I suppose. But that might be what Chicago needs.

Don't trade him. Not for Jason Bay.

Manny and the Sox have made nice before... they can do it again!

Possible good news for (most) Boston fans out there -- According to the Red Sox's unofficial team mascot, Peter Gammons, the Manny-to-the-Marlins deal is "close to dead".

ESPN Trade Deadline Blog

As a quick follow-up to the now-dead Manny Ramirez deal, ESPNEWS is reporting that the Blue Jays are now in talks with Pittsburgh about bringing Jason Bay back home to his native Canada.

6uXNWAo.png

To anyone who thinks that Griffey won't work out in Center, I implore you to believe me when I say that Nick Swisher is the worst defensive centerfielder in the American league. Even if Griffey is worse, it can't be a downgrade from horrendous to horrible.

White Sox Lineup w. Griffey (In my estimation when all guys are clicking)

1. Cabrera SS

2. Pierzynski C

3. Quentin LF

4. Dye RF

5. Thome DH

6. Konerko 1B or DH

7. Griffey CF or DH

8. Crede 3B or Fields

9. Ramirez 2B

Swisher 1B or CF

Brian Anderson Defensive Replacement in CF

Juan Uribe UTIL

Toby Hall Backup Catcher

This will also give the White Sox a chance to call up Aaron Poreda who is apparently lights out in relief.

To anyone who thinks that Griffey won't work out in Center, I implore you to believe me when I say that Nick Swisher is the worst defensive centerfielder in the American league. Even if Griffey is worse, it can't be a downgrade from horrendous to horrible.

White Sox Lineup w. Griffey (In my estimation when all guys are clicking)

1. Cabrera SS

2. Pierzynski C

3. Quentin LF

4. Dye RF

5. Thome DH

6. Konerko 1B or DH

7. Griffey CF or DH

8. Crede 3B or Fields

9. Ramirez 2B

Swisher 1B or CF

Brian Anderson Defensive Replacement in CF

Juan Uribe UTIL

Toby Hall Backup Catcher

This will also give the White Sox a chance to call up Aaron Poreda who is apparently lights out in relief.

With Griffey, I don't think we'll ever see Swisher in CF again this year, thankfully. I'm perfectly happy with Anderson as Griffey's backup, with Swisher and Paulie alternating 1B

2IA3b.png

Yes its reasonable the effort they give against the Mets I just want the same effort against the Phillies and it seems that just does not happen.

Maybe, and I may be speaking out of turn here, but just maybe the Phillies happen to be a better team than the Mets. Maybe.

Yes its reasonable the effort they give against the Mets I just want the same effort against the Phillies and it seems that just does not happen.

Maybe, and I may be speaking out of turn here, but just maybe the Phillies happen to be a better team than the Mets. Maybe.

Stop. We will have none of that "logic" crap on these boards.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived