Reds Wear Nuxhall #41..

KevinMcD

I'm watching it now on the Extra Innings Preview. Every Red is wearing Nuxhall and #41 on the back of the uniform while their regular number is on the front.

I'll post a pic as soon as I can get one.

saBS.png

Joe Nuxhall was a famed pitcher for the Reds. He started in his first game at the age of 15. He then called games on the radio with longtime partner Marty Brenamen. Nuxhall passed away in November and was beaten out of the Ford Frick Award this year, despite having the most votes among any of the choices.

The Reds will honor him all season with a special section at the Reds Hall of Fame and museum, they will wear a black circle patch that says Nuxy all season. He was honored when they built Great American Ballpark by putting his radio signoff on the third base side on the stadium (Rounding Third and heading for home)

As for the 41 on the uniforms, the Reds only wore them durring pregame ceremonies, however Reds starting pitcher Aaron Harang wore it the entire game.

Signature intentionally left blank

Ugh.

I love uniform tributes, but this sort of thing is just over the top.

If the Yankees or Brewers would have done it first, it would have been OK.

Nonsense.

The Brewers have done it first (well, not first-first, but before this time). I didn't like it when MLB did the "everybody wear Jackie Robinson's number" thing last year, not even when the Brewers did it. And while we're on the Yankees, they have far too much respect for the uniform to attempt something this silly.

If you think that I hold my teams above criticism, you don't know me. I'm the most vocal critic of the Brewers' awful softball uniforms, and one of the few Packer shareholders who remains deeply disappointed that Ron Wolf didn't have the guts to go through with his Packers modernization.

You may think everything your team does is neato keen and beyond reproach. I do not.

Nice try, though.

Nuxy's the ONLY one the Reds would do this for. To Reds fans (like me), Nuxy WAS the Reds. I turned on the game when I got home from work and saw there was something different on Harang's jersey on the mound. I was quite moved when I saw the 41 Nuxhall on his back. Maybe that makes me a cheeseball, but that's how many Reds fans feel about Joe Nuxhall.

It was for reds fans, not Brewers fans or Yankees fans or Angels fans. Reds fans had an attachment to this guy that few teams have with anyone. He was a pitcher at age 15 due to WWII. He was the color analyst next to Marty Brenaman forever and he died. I got choked up when I saw the first two coaches run out with his name and number on their back. The jerseys (with the exception of Aaron Harang) were used only for warmups and the national anthem. Now they're going to Nuxhall's charity fund. They aren't going to do this for everyone who has ever played for the reds, only for Joe Nuxhall. He was so much a part of the Cincinnati Reds that anything less than this as a tribute wouldn't have been enough.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So now if a player doesn't get a "number night" when he dies, it's just like the team saying that he wasn't as important as this guy or that guy. These "tributes" are part of this trend of "look at me, I care so much" sympathy where everyone goes out of there way to act like whoever died was like their brother or father. It is way more self serving and self promotional than most of the crazy antics that some of today's players do. Just wear a black armband, a patch, a small number on the sleeve. Something classy, not marketed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ugh.

I love uniform tributes, but this sort of thing is just over the top.

If the Yankees or Brewers would have done it first, it would have been OK.

If you think that I hold my teams above criticism, you don't know me. I'm the most vocal critic of the Brewers' awful softball uniforms, and one of the few Packer shareholders who remains deeply disappointed that Ron Wolf didn't have the guts to go through with his Packers modernization.

You may think everything your team does is neato keen and beyond reproach. I do not.

Nice try, though.

Climb down off your ivory tower and mingle among the common folk for a change.

So now if a player doesn't get a "number night" when he dies, it's just like the team saying that he wasn't as important as this guy or that guy. These "tributes" are part of this trend of "look at me, I care so much" sympathy where everyone goes out of there way to act like whoever died was like their brother or father. It is way more self serving and self promotional than most of the crazy antics that some of today's players do. Just wear a black armband, a patch, a small number on the sleeve. Something classy, not marketed.

Exactly.

This was showy and over the top, bizarre since the Reds also had a really classy tribute to the guy on their uniforms:

2347585221_2102c24e45.jpg

Climb down off your ivory tower and mingle among the common folk for a change.

He doesn't need my defense, but I think that's a bit much. And such animus from a 12-post member? I don't get it.

On-topic, agreed with some of the comments above. Something a bit more subdued might have been a little bit more tasteful. And dare I suggest that if f a simple number or arm band is good enough for the Yankees, it's good enough for every team.

And no, I don't like the Yankees.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived