2008 MLB changes in action

Krona

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the first time I can remember, the Yankees are finally on board with the MLB official dugout jackets instead of the satin 80s beer league atrocities they've been sporting in their place.

Yeah, 'cause the current MLB dugout jackets are the height of simplicity and understated style. LOLZERS

I'd like to see the Rays have something like this as an alternate.

it will be great !!!

it can be a "very special edition jersey" as a thank to the home of the rays, the city of St.Pete

light blue jersey with name, number & brim in navy & yellow (+ white) but instead of "RAYS" the wordmark "St.Petersburg".

Not going to happen - they're not going to snub Tampa like that. They treat both cities the same in all counts, since they have to consider both cities their home.

i think so...

but it can be a good idea to have an additional jersey and to change the road gray :

- BP : navy / rays

- Home : white / Rays

- Road : gray / Tampa Bay (better than "Rays" again, as they actually wore)

- Home & Road alternate : light blue / St.Petersburg (wore on sunday home game & special road game)

How many times must we go through this?!

Tampa is a city.

St Petersburg is a city.

Tampa BAY is the combination of both. Together. As one.

Carry on...

SigReflect.png

Yeah, that was my point.

St Pete is not the Rays' home. It's part of their home, but only part.

They're not going to elevate one section of their home, implicitly snubbing the rest - it doesn't make any sense.

It would be similar to the Minnesota Twins wearing "Minneapolis" on a jersey -- or if the California Angels wore Anaheim (without changing their name)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Green might not be good for the "sun" motif that the Rays have now (patch notwithstanding), but here's what it might've looked like:

e68ab78553e3917e441fac35d520c198-getty-80323755gf036_tb_balt.jpg

Then get rid of the R on the jersey and it will tell you who it looks just like! :P

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Green might not be good for the "sun" motif that the Rays have now (patch notwithstanding), but here's what it might've looked like:

Then get rid of the R on the jersey and it will tell you who it looks just like! :P

Well as it stands now, they look just like the Mariners. So either way they look like a ripoff.

Is it just me or did the Jays cap logo get smaller? I have two Jays hats. One from about 3 years ago and one I just bought, and they were side by side today and I noticed the logo on the new cap is smaller. I always thought the logo was too big so this is a good change. I was just wondering if anyone knew if this was official?

Well as it stands now, they look just like the Mariners. So either way they look like a ripoff.

Yes, because the Mariners own navy blue and white.

Seriously, they don't look anything like the Mariners.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Same basic color scheme, extremely similar font, same colored cap, "water" theme.... yeah I'd say they look a whole lot like the Mariners. I'm from Baltimore and I saw these two teams play the O's back to back to start out the season. They look identical on the field.

You think so? I don't think they look that similar at all on the field.

The Rays' cap isn't the "same colored" (it's the lighter navy of the Brewers than the Mariners' midnight navy), the color schemes aren't really all that similar, and there's no "water" theme on the Rays' uniforms.

If you're going to speak in very broad generalities, you could probably find a closer match to the Rays than the Mariners.

Same basic color scheme, extremely similar font, same colored cap, "water" theme.... yeah I'd say they look a whole lot like the Mariners. I'm from Baltimore and I saw these two teams play the O's back to back to start out the season. They look identical on the field.

I guess you're not as detail oriented as most of us. The Mariners use "northwest green", while the Rays use light blue; the Mariners have a vertically arched wordmark while the Rays have their word-art wordmark; honestly, I'm not even sure that the shade of navy is the same.

The only thing that I could see being similar is how both contain an element of their logo overtop of their wordmark (the compass for the Mariners and whatever the F that gold thing is for the Rays.) But even that is pretty different.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I guess you're not as detail oriented as most of us. The Mariners use "northwest green", while the Rays use light blue; the Mariners have a vertically arched wordmark while the Rays have their word-art wordmark; honestly, I'm not even sure that the shade of navy is the same.

The only thing that I could see being similar is how both contain an element of their logo overtop of their wordmark (the compass for the Mariners and whatever the F that gold thing is for the Rays.) But even that is pretty different.

Neither team significantly uses the secondary colors on its uniform. Which is why they look so similar.

I didn't say they were identical wordmarks. Just very similar.

"The only thing" you could see being similar? I think you need to look more closely.

It's all about relativity...

"The only thing" you could see being similar? I think you need to look more closely.

I think his post shows that, the more closely you look, the less similar they actually appear. Only by describing them in the broadest possible terms are they that alike.

I think his post shows that, the more closely you look, the less similar they actually appear. Only by describing them in the broadest possible terms are they that alike.

And my point was that similar is a relative term. By his standards, nothing in the world is similar unless it is identical. "Similar" does not imply "identical".

Let's put it this way: Are there any other two road uniforms in MLB that, when placed side by side, look more similar than these two?

Relativity...

Let's put it this way: Are there any other two road uniforms in MLB that, when placed side by side, look more similar than these two?

Even accepting for the sake of argument that such a statement is true, that they are the most similar does not require that they are similar. "Most similar" can cover an awful lot of ground.

Even on television, there is no confusing the two unifiorms. I guess if you're willing to stretch "relatively" you can argue that the Brewers are similar to the Rays (or the Mariners, for that matter).

Even accepting for the sake of argument that such a statement is true, that they are the most similar does not require that they are similar. "Most similar" can cover an awful lot of ground.

Even on television, there is no confusing the two unifiorms. I guess if you're willing to stretch "relatively" you can argue that the Brewers are similar to the Rays (or the Mariners, for that matter).

Yes, it does. Again, similar is a relative term. If there were only three major league teams, and two wore red and one wore blue, the red teams would look "similar".

No, because the Brewers font is much different, and uses lowercase letters. Additionally, the letters on the Brewers uniform are in a scripted font.

Archived