2008 MLB changes in action

Krona

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0505rangla.jpg

Check out the back of Ron Washington's hat. There is the raised MLB logo I mentioned before. It is a little hard to tell in this picture, but it had the navy and gold in the logo just like the Nationals do. Also, note how these hats have the newer, slanted W's just like the Nationals. I'm pretty sure they were just Nationals' hats.

That's a barfola attempt at a throwback... google some 1960s Senator players and you'll see on their baseball cards that the Ws on their hats look more like the W on top (the 5950 game hat) not the one on the bottom.

capt.230253bb09dc4539bbbc0a9622314811.rangers_athletics_baseball__oas104.jpg

capt.c12d49786ead4f058568710a9038de0f.rangers_athletics_baseball__oas103.jpg

That is an outstanding throwback. I'd like to see that become their regular look.

Ding Ding Ding! I think we now have another team to go along with the Pirates in the exclusive group of "Teams Who Can Actually Pull Off the Vest." Only throw the current script and "A's" on the jerseys and hats. And maybe keep the current home and away caps as such.

Also, isn't this quite the reversal of one the unofficial "rules" of baseball uniform design that me and I'm sure some others, believe: If there's a letter on the hat, it should be the letter for the city/location. Well, not only does it have the letter for the nickname, but then the jersey (home jersey) says the city name. Never thought I'd see such a violation of the "rule" and love it so much. ^_^

Paul Lukas addressed this in his Uniwatchblog post this morning. There seems to be a clear difference between the Nats caps and Senators throwback caps currently available for sale. However, in all the old pictures of Senators players the W looks more like the current Nats one. Very interesting.

mets.png

I've watched several Brewers games on TV this year, and I have yet to see them wear:

t1_fielder.jpg

gLMcLu6w.jpg

capslam_1.jpg

ryan-braun.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

We have (our first? I'm not sure) a sighting of the CoolBase grey uniforms for, of all teams, one of the ones who manages to avoid wearing their greys the least:

GrandSlam04.jpg

Best photo of the group from a fan's post on Athletics Nation. Look closely for the armpit gussets.

What's even more ironic about this is that the photo is from a function related to the A's impending move to Fremont... with the players wearing the Oakland jerseys.

I've heard that part of the move of going to Fremont - and the town putting up a lot of money for the stadium and such - is that Fremont has to be a part of the name... similar to LAA. Oakland Athletics of Fremont?

I sincerely hope the team still remains as the Oakland A's, but who knows?

I saw the Rangers-A's game on local tv here today, and, yes, the Rangers were wearing Nationals hats. They even had the raised MLB logo on the back with the navy and gold in it.

Is this a first? A team wearing another team's current cap, not a throwback, during a game?

Maybe I'm just overlooking the obvious.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I've heard that part of the move of going to Fremont - and the town putting up a lot of money for the stadium and such - is that Fremont has to be a part of the name... similar to LAA. Oakland Athletics of Fremont?

Haven't heard that anywhere, and it didn't come up in the first articles I googled.

I'd tend to doubt that any municipality would willingly sign a contract provision such as that making Anaheim so unhappy these days. It'd either be change the name completely or leave it alone, and had that been part of the deal we'd have heard about it.

Haven't heard that anywhere, and it didn't come up in the first articles I googled.

I'd tend to doubt that any municipality would willingly sign a contract provision such as that making Anaheim so unhappy these days. It'd either be change the name completely or leave it alone, and had that been part of the deal we'd have heard about it.

I have heard that mentioned, along with possibly something including "Bay Area" or even "Silicon Valley". Unfortunately, I don't think it's just gonna remain Oakland A's. I think something will be added to it. <_<

Oakland/Texas game today.

capt.511f4968d0284221b311d0d657688e08.rangers_athletics_baseball_oas102.jpg

It doesn't really seem appropriate for Texas to essentially wear another (current) team's hats.

While I don't have a major issue with it, I do think it would have definately been more appropriate had it been a Rangers-Nationals Interleague Game. Then it would have fit along with the Orioles-Cardinals (St.Louis Browns/Cardinals) and Braves/Brewers (When both wore Milwaukee Braves sets), as an old team in the city playing the new team in the city.

I can't really find any hard evidence of the name Fremont being involved, but I think it was just a discussion thread on an A's fan blog where a lot of people piped in with some decent knowledge on the subject.

Archived