2008 MLB changes in action

Krona

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I LIKE THEM BUT WHY RED SOX NUMBER FONT?

heh, seriously?

The A's had them too. I assumed that that may have possibly been what they used at the time, but now, after seeing the Angels with them, I'm starting to wonder. I don't think other teams have used this font other than the Red Sox. Is Majestic glorifying the Red Sox that much that they're putting their number font on every retro jersey they do now? Good thing the Yankees don't wear throwbacks.

A quick look at sportslogos.net would've shown...

4200.gif

It sort of looks like the stirrups on that illustration are on backwards. Could just be me though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

heh, seriously?

The A's had them too. I assumed that that may have possibly been what they used at the time, but now, after seeing the Angels with them, I'm starting to wonder. I don't think other teams have used this font other than the Red Sox. Is Majestic glorifying the Red Sox that much that they're putting their number font on every retro jersey they do now? Good thing the Yankees don't wear throwbacks.

4200.gif

It sort of looks like the stirrups on that illustration are on backwards. Could just be me though.

Does anybody know where I can get that uniform (both jersey and pant) and what sizes they sell it in. Thanks.

heh, seriously?

4200.gif

What's a "sportslogos.net"? That some kind of fish?

heh, seriously?

4200.gif

Are you :censored:in serious? Dou you know what website your on?

heh, seriously?

4200.gif

Are you :censored:in serious? Dou you know what website your on?

Sarcasm

---------------->

frozenguy

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

heh, seriously?

4200.gif

putting aside the fact that this is an awful looking uniform.....

didn't they wear red stirrups with those?

putting aside the fact that this is an awful looking uniform.....

didn't they wear red stirrups with those?

Well, the uni they wore for the retro night is slightly different - names on back, and a lowercase "a" in the "angels" wordmark. But looking at Dressed to the Nines, the Angels wore red stirrups throughout the '70s, so a correction might be in order.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

A couple of observations:

The "Red $ox" number font drives me crazy with its inconsistent use of serifs, especially in two-digit #s where one has a serif and the other doesn't.

And every day is turn-back-the-clock day if you play for the Yankee$!

And every day is turn-back-the-clock day if you play for the Yankee$!

Not really. They'd have to lose the white from the roads, and change the shoulders of the homes for it to really be considered a throwback.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Everyone calls it "Red Sox Font" because they are the only team to wear it now, and are the most visible team to wear it for the last 30 years. But there was a time it was as common as the Block Standard (like the Dodgers and Mets wear now). The Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, Angels, A's, Dodgers, and Astros have all worn that font before (off the top of my head).

Recently, someone posted a great pic of the Yanks in their dugout (1930's era or so) where some players were wearing conventional block numbers (what we might assume Yankees numbers would look like, not quite the current, but close) and some had Red Sox numbers. JUst a great example of how teams weren't necessarily concerned with that sort of consistency all the time.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

So I see the Rays are wearing their bp jersey's today against the cardinals, which from the back looks the same as the braves navy.

Good call. Interestingly enough, the Rays don't use nameplates on the BP jerseys...

capt531a73hf1.jpg

8f80878f6dbf45a495bb70yy8.jpg

...but do on the home and away jerseys.

55ac9a795ddf3c8ad795543nh7.jpg

capt0b8846c97e484fc2a83im0.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

That blue on blue is horrible for an on-field jersey.

That blue on blue is horrible for an on-field jersey.

Exactly why I hate those Braves jerseys. Make the script and numbers red, with red and white piping.

Both the Braves and A's wore colored jerseys today. Braves wore the reds (which I am one of the few who like them) and the A's wore their greens.

bravesvsas.png

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

So I see the Rays are wearing their bp jersey's today against the cardinals, which from the back looks the same as the braves navy.

Good call. Interestingly enough, the Rays don't use nameplates on the BP jerseys...

capt531a73hf1.jpg

8f80878f6dbf45a495bb70yy8.jpg

If the Braves still had Vertically arched names then it'd be a little different now wouldn't it?

Ok, not really.

But they really do need to go back to the Vert-Arched.

(Post 3,000 btw)

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

capt531a73hf1.jpg

...but do on the home and away jerseys.

55ac9a795ddf3c8ad795543nh7.jpg

capt0b8846c97e484fc2a83im0.jpg

I was a rather staunch "opponent" of their new look when it was first unveiled, mainly due to the bland look, with mostly navy and minimal light blue, and of course, the Microsoft Word wordmarks and hat logo.

But, i gotta say, I'm starting to grow to love this look. The what-seemed-to-be lack of creativeness with the lettering, is actually starting to seem like a simple take that's starting to feel like a great move. I'd still like to see a little more light blue used, and definately adding "Tampa Bay" to the aways, but all-in-all, it's really grown on me. It may have something to due with their unexpected success thus far this season, but it just seems to all be coming together. It's very simple, of course, and I guess it just makes it feel like an MLB look that's been around for awhile, which, coupled with their early success, just makes it feel that much more of a "traditional" look (for lack of a better term. don't think it is, but has kinda that vibe to it). I was one of the people who thought going away from the unique "green with blue" look was a wrong turn, but these colors work for the look. It's very much "sea" looking colors and, coupled with the renderings of the new stadium, really help with that essence of being a "bay" team.

I know many may still feel it to be inferior to their previous set, a set I still revere as a great look that's missing in baseball, but I've crossed over and am a fan of this look now, as well.

Yes, it was a bummer that the sox did not wear throwbacks to match, but the Angels looked good even with the regular batting helmets. As usual, many of the players wore their pants at their regular length. I will always prefer the Angels in their older hat color of a blue hat with red bill versus the all red hat, regardless of the logo.

The only thing that keeps the Angels from true uniform greatness is the red hat. I like their current look a lot but add the old hat colors and it's perfection.

I have to admit that I really like the red caps because the all-red provides a stark contrast with the all-blue of the Dodgers.

But I wouldn't mind seeing this at all:

2441454152_53c8a82bc9_o.jpg

That'd be near perfect only if you took the "L" out of the "A" and the "Los Angeles" out of the Angels...

Damn you Arte

I also agree with the Angel Red vs Dodger Blue.

I wish the Dodgers had all-blue jerseys and that the Angels wore the red set and the Dodger wore the blue for interleague.

I like the stark contrasts between teams

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived