2008 MLB changes in action

Krona

I can't really find any hard evidence of the name Fremont being involved, but I think it was just a discussion thread on an A's fan blog where a lot of people piped in with some decent knowledge on the subject.

Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Community > Sports Logos > Sports Logos > Wolff: Name change will include "A's of Fremont"

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I liked about the A's/Rangers throwback game is that the base coaches wore the correct batting helmet.

capt.afec6944e3ae4c62a545df9609bd3e60.rangers_athletics_baseball__oas110.jpg

Staying on the topic of base coaches, How many teams with multiple caps have the base coaches wear the correct batting helmet? I know that the Cubs base coaches wear the home and road helmet.

We have (our first? I'm not sure) a sighting of the CoolBase grey uniforms for, of all teams, one of the ones who manages to avoid wearing their greys the least:

GrandSlam04.jpg

Best photo of the group from a fan's post on Athletics Nation. Look closely for the armpit gussets.

What's even more ironic about this is that the photo is from a function related to the A's impending move to Fremont... with the players wearing the Oakland jerseys.

Not first. Teams have been wearing them. I'm pretty sure the Mets had the grey CB jerseys on in Miami when they played the Marlins to open the season.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

We have (our first? I'm not sure) a sighting of the CoolBase grey uniforms for, of all teams, one of the ones who manages to avoid wearing their greys the least:

GrandSlam04.jpg

Best photo of the group from a fan's post on Athletics Nation. Look closely for the armpit gussets.

What's even more ironic about this is that the photo is from a function related to the A's impending move to Fremont... with the players wearing the Oakland jerseys.

Not first. Teams have been wearing them. I'm pretty sure the Mets had the grey CB jerseys on in Miami when they played the Marlins to open the season.

Orioles are all cool base, all the time.

I can't really find any hard evidence of the name Fremont being involved, but I think it was just a discussion thread on an A's fan blog where a lot of people piped in with some decent knowledge on the subject.

Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Community > Sports Logos > Sports Logos > Wolff: Name change will include "A's of Fremont"

That thread was mainly speculation, based on an offhand remark, and years ago to boot. The A's have had lots of press conferences about their stadium plans since then, with no word at all about it.

capt.230253bb09dc4539bbbc0a9622314811.rangers_athletics_baseball__oas104.jpg

capt.c12d49786ead4f058568710a9038de0f.rangers_athletics_baseball__oas103.jpg

That is an outstanding throwback. I'd like to see that become their regular look.

I pretty much agree. I love the script, but the socks would look silly as a regular look. Also, there needs to be some yellow trim or something on the hat.

• 2 weeks later...

The LA Angels are turning back the clock to 1971 vs the White Sox. To bad the White Sox are wearing their black alt jersey.

The Angels didn't go all out. They are wearing the usual batting helmets.

Sorry I have no pictures.

Yes, it was a bummer that the sox did not wear throwbacks to match, but the Angels looked good even with the regular batting helmets. As usual, many of the players wore their pants at their regular length. I will always prefer the Angels in their older hat color of a blue hat with red bill versus the all red hat, regardless of the logo.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Yes, it was a bummer that the sox did not wear throwbacks to match, but the Angels looked good even with the regular batting helmets. As usual, many of the players wore their pants at their regular length. I will always prefer the Angels in their older hat color of a blue hat with red bill versus the all red hat, regardless of the logo.

The only thing that keeps the Angels from true uniform greatness is the red hat. I like their current look a lot but add the old hat colors and it's perfection.

BB52Big.jpg

The LA Angels are turning back the clock to 1971 vs the White Sox. To bad the White Sox are wearing their black alt jersey.

The Angels didn't go all out. They are wearing the usual batting helmets.

Sorry I have no pictures.

Here are a few:

capt.fcd9913fc2bb41cfa1a56d4a0163248e.white_sox_angels_baseball_ans106.jpg

capt.b56bd375800f4f8c9a6be310d99352fd.white_sox_angels_baseball_ans108.jpg

capt.f2f867bf31344bdfa115ce7637f90a04.white_sox_angels_baseball_ans109.jpg

capt.786b76a05d434bcba6264a68fae5e758.white_sox_angels_baseball_ans107.jpg

I LIKE THEM BUT WHY RED SOX NUMBER FONT?

heh, seriously?

The A's had them too. I assumed that that may have possibly been what they used at the time, but now, after seeing the Angels with them, I'm starting to wonder. I don't think other teams have used this font other than the Red Sox. Is Majestic glorifying the Red Sox that much that they're putting their number font on every retro jersey they do now? Good thing the Yankees don't wear throwbacks.

The only thing that keeps the Angels from true uniform greatness is the red hat. I like their current look a lot but add the old hat colors and it's perfection.

I have to admit that I really like the red caps because the all-red provides a stark contrast with the all-blue of the Dodgers.

But I wouldn't mind seeing this at all:

2441454152_53c8a82bc9_o.jpg

heh, seriously?

The A's had them too. I assumed that that may have possibly been what they used at the time, but now, after seeing the Angels with them, I'm starting to wonder. I don't think other teams have used this font other than the Red Sox. Is Majestic glorifying the Red Sox that much that they're putting their number font on every retro jersey they do now? Good thing the Yankees don't wear throwbacks.

Hmph. Kids.

Both the A's and Angels definitely did have that Red Sox number font. The Angels had it even later; I think through 1974.

catfish2.jpg

06F.jpg

And, as Gothamite has indicated, up through the 40s, both the Yankees and the Dodgers used this font.

dimaggio.jpg

03.jpg

(Gil Hodges evidently still had at least one jersey with that number font in his locker even after the team changed to the block font.)

brooklyn.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Those Angels unis looked terrific, I friggin LOVE that Cali sleeve patch. Dig the lower-case "a" hat too. As for the current look, I agree they'd be near perfect if they went to a navy hat crown. I've also always been bugged by the grey halo-it should be gold, cuz the grey just looks cold and robotic and, well, un-angelic.

heh, seriously?

A quick look at sportslogos.net would've shown...

4200.gif

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived