2008 MLB changes in action

Krona

I was a rather staunch "opponent" of their new look when it was first unveiled, mainly due to the bland look, with mostly navy and minimal light blue, and of course, the Microsoft Word wordmarks and hat logo.

But, i gotta say, I'm starting to grow to love this look. The what-seemed-to-be lack of creativeness with the lettering, is actually starting to seem like a simple take that's starting to feel like a great move. I'd still like to see a little more light blue used, and definately adding "Tampa Bay" to the aways, but all-in-all, it's really grown on me. It may have something to due with their unexpected success thus far this season, but it just seems to all be coming together. It's very simple, of course, and I guess it just makes it feel like an MLB look that's been around for awhile, which, coupled with their early success, just makes it feel that much more of a "traditional" look (for lack of a better term. don't think it is, but has kinda that vibe to it). I was one of the people who thought going away from the unique "green with blue" look was a wrong turn, but these colors work for the look. It's very much "sea" looking colors and, coupled with the renderings of the new stadium, really help with that essence of being a "bay" team.

I know many may still feel it to be inferior to their previous set, a set I still revere as a great look that's missing in baseball, but I've crossed over and am a fan of this look now, as well.

They do look better in person than I thought they would, but still need a front number.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, it was a bummer that the sox did not wear throwbacks to match, but the Angels looked good even with the regular batting helmets. As usual, many of the players wore their pants at their regular length. I will always prefer the Angels in their older hat color of a blue hat with red bill versus the all red hat, regardless of the logo.

The only thing that keeps the Angels from true uniform greatness is the red hat. I like their current look a lot but add the old hat colors and it's perfection.

I have to admit that I really like the red caps because the all-red provides a stark contrast with the all-blue of the Dodgers.

But I wouldn't mind seeing this at all:

2441454152_53c8a82bc9_o.jpg

That'd be near perfect only if you took the "L" out of the "A" and the "Los Angeles" out of the Angels...

Damn you Arte

I also agree with the Angel Red vs Dodger Blue.

I wish the Dodgers had all-blue jerseys and that the Angels wore the red set and the Dodger wore the blue for interleague.

I like the stark contrasts between teams

Nah, the "LA" is the best part. :P Should re-work it to include the halo, though. Really miss it.

I hated the Dodgers' blue jerseys - when your regular look is that good you don't need an alternate. Frankly, I feel the same way about all the Angels' alternates, which just muddy a really sharp visual identity.

What? Don't the Rays have an alternate jersey this season? I've only seen them wear the home and road.

The don't officially, but they did wear the BP jersey for 2 of the 3 games against the Cards in St Louis.

What? Don't the Rays have an alternate jersey this season? I've only seen them wear the home and road.
The don't officially, but they did wear the BP jersey for 2 of the 3 games against the Cards in St Louis.

Actually, it was only once -- May 18, 2008.

May 16, 2008

051608ce7.jpg

May 17, 2008

051708sd5.jpg

May 18, 2008

051808li2.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• 1 month later...
sorry to bump

The Yankees will likely be wearing black arm bands the rest of the season.

Yes they certainly will. RIP Bobby.

Unrelated but presumably the all-star patch will come off the Yanks jerseys after the game has been played correct?

Yes, that's what I heard before the season

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

sorry to bump

Unrelated but presumably the all-star patch will come off the Yanks jerseys after the game has been played correct?

Meaning I get to attend a rare Yankees game in which they will be wearing 3 patches on their uniform.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

sorry to bump

We'll see.

The original release was that they would be wearing the YS patch all year, and the All-Star patch only during the period between start of voting and the game itself.

The plan seems to have changed, since they've worn the the ASG patch since Opening Day. I really hope that they'll be ditching it after this week.

Yesterday the Jays wore their home whites in a day game, I can only remember this happening twice before in the past four seasons... As someone who attends many Jays home games, it looked very weird to see the white jerseys worn under sunlight.

Photo courtesy yours truly:

2666348290_e030965e7b.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Yesterday the Jays wore their home whites in a day game, I can only remember this happening twice before in the past four seasons... As someone who attends many Jays home games, it looked very weird to see the white jerseys worn under sunlight.

Photo courtesy yours truly:

2666348290_e030965e7b.jpg

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would prefer to wear black under the sun anyways.

Just curious - are there any studies that show body heat differences between people wearing white vs black on hot days? I'd love to know how big a deal it actually is.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just curious - are there any studies that show body heat differences between people wearing white vs black on hot days? I'd love to know how big a deal it actually is.

I'm curious as well. Not sure how big of a deal scientifically it can prove, but it can get uncomfortable wearing black vs white for sure.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I'm curious as well. Not sure how big of a deal scientifically it can prove, but it can get uncomfortable wearing black vs white for sure.

I'm sure it all depends on the fabric used as well. I am fairly certain that darker colours, as a rule, do "absorb" more heat than lighter ones, but white wool would obviously be hotter than black jersey/"Cool Base" material.

Archived