Japanese school team hit for 66 runs in two innings

roxfan00

(yikes lol)[

TOKYO, April 17 (Reuters) - A Japanese high school pleaded for a regional game to be abandoned after surrendering 66 runs in less than two innings, local media reported on Thursday.

The coach of Kawamoto technical high school threw in the towel to spare his pitcher?s arm with his team losing 66-0 with just one batter out in the bottom of the second.

The hapless hurler had already sent down over 250 pitches, allowing 26 runs in the first inning and 40 in the second before Kawamoto asked for mercy.

?At that pace the pitcher would have thrown around 500 pitches in four innings,? Kawamoto?s coach was quoted as saying. ?There was a danger he could get injured.?

Opponents Shunshukan were officially credited with a 9-0 victory, giving the scoreline a tinge of respectability for the luckless Kawamoto school. (Writing by Alastair Himmer; Editing by Justin Palmer)

66 runs

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

That's insane, man. I'm surprised they threw in the towel, though. Aren't the Japanese all about truth, honor and the Samurai way?

Sure seems like the samurai way, when your screwed commit suicide.

Ha! Harakiri for the win!

Sigs are for sissies.

That's insane, man. I'm surprised they threw in the towel, though. Aren't the Japanese all about truth, honor and the Samurai way?

Actually, I'm surprised they racked up 66 runs...I would have assumed that at a certain point the winning team would have...made an effort to get out without looking like you are just trying to get out.

Oh...and there would have been an anime joke here, but I cannot figure out how to do screencaps, and have given up on trying.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wait, so the Japanese allow ties in pro baseball, but they've got no problems with merciless beatdowns like this in high school games?

What happened to the 10-run mercy rule, which was present in just about every Japanese-ported baseball game for the NES? RBI? Baseball Simulator 1.000? Anyone?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What's even more amazing is that the pitcher was pulled (and his cool 297.00 ERA) after 250 pitches. The kid pitched close to three games in 2 innings.
I count the ERA at 445.50, myself. He only retired one batter in the 2nd inning.
Wait, so the Japanese allow ties in pro baseball, but they've got no problems with merciless beatdowns like this in high school games?

What happened to the 10-run mercy rule, which was present in just about every Japanese-ported baseball game for the NES? RBI? Baseball Simulator 1.000? Anyone?

In most games where a mercy rule exists, I've known it to only apply after five innings (this is true for high school games in the United States too - but until the 1998 season, the mercy rule was optional out here, and sometimes we'd have the coach of the losing team prefer to play the other two innings to give his guys practice.

LvZYtbZ.png

Yeesh, and I thought the one time my team was up 19-0 in the 2nd(and stole home, which made the other team quit) was bad. You'd think they'd just start striking out on purpose as some sort of courtesy.

On second thought, I'd like to quote legendary coach Jack Riley:

"It's not worth winning if you can't win big."

There was a danger that the pitcher could get hurt throwing 500 pitches in four innings? I'm surprised that sometime in the 250 pitches that one of them was lined off his leg or arm. I don't fault them for keeping him in, at least he wasn't on some stupid pitch count. *sarcasm there* But the one question that runs through my mind, is what does the pitching coach say to him after giving up 26 runs in the first inning? "Don't worry we've got 9 innings to score 27 runs!" And at what point do you finally realize that 66 runs is enough to give up? What makes 66 runs more acceptable than 65 or even 43? And what did the Manager say, "You know son, I just don't think you have it today."

Archived