Website Trying To Bring NHL Back To Quebec

josh_cat_eyes

Didn't the Oilers or the Flames almost move to Oklahoma City during this time period?

I know there was talk of the Flames moving and teetering on the edge of bankruptcy in the late '90s/early '00s. I don't specifically remember a mention of OKC in the equation, though.

At this point, it should be noted that Oklahoma City has had one of the biggest, most consistent draws in North American minor league hockey this decade, averaging 8500-9000 per game most seasons. Consider that established fan base (for lower-tier minor hockey, mind you,) and combine that with the impending arrival of the city's first major league tenant, and I would think that Oklahoma City might be the NHL's target #2 for relocation, behind Kansas City.

They definitely did make a bid for an expansion team in the last big round during the 1990s. Funny you should mention the Blazers...I seem to recall seeing that they were one of the big factors in that move not happening. The owners of the team, knowing they would be forced out, worked hard to keep the NHL out.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't the Oilers or the Flames almost move to Oklahoma City during this time period?

I know there was talk of the Flames moving and teetering on the edge of bankruptcy in the late '90s/early '00s. I don't specifically remember a mention of OKC in the equation, though.

At this point, it should be noted that Oklahoma City has had one of the biggest, most consistent draws in North American minor league hockey this decade, averaging 8500-9000 per game most seasons. Consider that established fan base (for lower-tier minor hockey, mind you,) and combine that with the impending arrival of the city's first major league tenant, and I would think that Oklahoma City might be the NHL's target #2 for relocation, behind Kansas City.

#3, behind Vegas and KC (Don't forget, Bettman is in love with Bruckheimer's money).

In all honesty, I can see Winnipeg being a solid #4...but there are only two major corporations worth their salt located there, Great West Life and Canwest Global; GWL is too smart to throw money at a dream like this, and Canwest has decided that they'd rather pursue the Blue Bombers (or, at least, the son of the late owner wants them, anyway).

Welcome to DrunjFlix

While I would love to see the NHL return to Canada with a team or two, I just don't see it happening while Bettman is in charge. Maybe it's for the overall success and growth of the league, I don't know and I don't care to be honest.

I (we?) get the feeling that since Bettman has been in charge, the league just doesn't care about our support or that we exist -- that's probably not the case, but it certainly feels that way. A couple of acts such when NBC and CBC are airing the same game, NBC dictates what times playoff games will air when CBC pays a lot more for their contract and has many more viewers (a few years earlier CBC was told that ABC gets to choose the game times because ABC pays more for their contract)... the situation with both the Pittsburgh Penguins and Nashville Predators, where there was a solid owner with very deep pockets, an arena already built, and 13,000 season ticket deposits taken in a week but both times the teams decided not to sell for much more money than what the team was worth (relocating to KC apparently isn't a problem though)... relocating a quarter of our teams to the United States and then expanding 4 times to the U.S. (6 times if Fla and Ana were his)... things like that just give me this feeling that we aren't important.

Fire away.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I am going to name the teams in the NHL that in my opinion are not secure and i'll give a reason for and agianst the team.

Atlanta Thrashers:

Agianst:There is a ownership problem and there is a lack of fan support aswell they are a consistantly non-competitive team.

For: Reasonably new arena, good corprate support

Florida Panthers:

Agianst: Lack of fan support and they are a consistantly non-competitive team.

Phoenix Coyotes:

For:Reasonably new arena, faithful owner, good corprate support

Nashville Predators:

Agianst: Previous ownership problem, lack of fan support even though.

For: Recent ownership change, 3 straight playoff apearences.

So with that said that leaves 4 teams that could relocate. Add two more cities for possible expansion and here is the list I get:

Huston

Kansas City

Oklahoma City

Hamilton

Seattle

Portland

The only way that a team is coming back to Quebec, Winnipeg, Hartford or any other city is if a team is moved there by someone like Jim Balsillie. And I have yet to see any support that big for any Canadian city other than Hamilton, yet everyone that I have asked thinks Hamilton wont get a team. I asure you, Jim Balsillie will get a team. He has almost twice in the past and I think eventually he will get a team.

Personally though, I think that cities like Salt Lake, Winnipeg, and Quebec have very good hockey fans but it is unlikely that a team will return there because in todays NHL, its not about all the that jazz. Its a business and they want to do good. If there is nobody willing to take control and do something, nothing will happen.

Do they deserve teams more than cities like Atlanta, Pheonix, Nashville and Miami, most definately, and I am all for bring the NHL back to those cities, but there is just nobody with pockets deep enough willing to do it, not even the Government.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

I am going to name the teams in the NHL that in my opinion are not secure and i'll give a reason for and agianst the team.

Phoenix Coyotes:

So with that said that leaves 4 teams that could relocate. Add two more cities for possible expansion and here is the list I get:

Houston

Kansas City

Oklahoma City

Hamilton

Seattle

Portland

The only way that a team is coming back to Quebec, Winnipeg, Hartford or any other city is if a team is moved there by someone like Jim Balsillie. And I have yet to see any support that big for any Canadian city other than Hamilton, yet everyone that I have asked thinks Hamilton wont get a team. I asure you, Jim Balsillie will get a team. He has almost twice in the past and I think eventually he will get a team.

Personally though, I think that cities like Salt Lake, Winnipeg, and Quebec have very good hockey fans but it is unlikely that a team will return there because in todays NHL, its not about all the that jazz. Its a business and they want to do good. If there is nobody willing to take control and do something, nothing will happen.

Do they deserve teams more than cities like Atlanta, Pheonix, Nashville and Miami, most definately, and I am all for bring the NHL back to those cities, but there is just nobody with pockets deep enough willing to do it, not even the Government.

I will say not true, I have been a season ticket holder to the Coyotes and will tell you right now that your basis is flawed. Every game that I have been to which is about 36 games this season has seen a growth of young fans that flock to see the Coyotes. There have been more youth teams growing in the Valley of the Sun, and alot more fans from 8-18 going to the games than there are any other age. This is the age group that will keep this team going in the next decade. The other age on the other hand is coming to the games, people that I talk to are intrigued by what this young team can do. The fan support is there, you just don't see it, but I do. They may have been in-consistant so you say, but you don't see is a young team that will win a cup in the next 5 years. A team that is having the best season in a few years and a team that has a growing fan base year after year!

That's a little extreme... I mean couldn't we have just 2 more teams... is that really asking so much?

You have one NHL team for every 5.5 million people in your country. We have one for every 10.7 million people in ours. Based on that, I'd say you're getting your fair share, at least.

Now listen, I'd love to see the Whalers come back to Hartford. But it's not going to happen. Times change, the economics of sports change, and just because I want my team back doesn't mean I'm going to embark on some foolhardy crusade to return them to their "rightful place," while displaying a petulant sense of entitlement all the while. It's not 1996 anymore, plain and simple.

Those 5.5 million people are much more likely to buy season tickets than 10.7 million americans... I'd even put them up against 30 million americans. The NHL on NBC is one of the lowest rated shows in prime time history.

NHL on NBC isn't on prime time, it's on in the afternoons on either saturdays or sundays starting in late January or early february.

The numbers on Verses are low because the channel is not nearly as prevalent as ESPN is, the NHL's old cable home.

You seem to be blaming America and Americans for the recent failures of the NHL. That blame belongs on Gary Bettman, not the entire United States.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Atlanta Thrashers:

Agianst:There is a ownership problem and there is a lack of fan support aswell they are a consistantly non-competitive team.

Florida Panthers:

Phoenix Coyotes:

Nashville Predators:

Huston

Kansas City

Oklahoma City

Hamilton

Seattle

Portland

I wonder how many times "Key Arena cannot physically hold a NHL-size rink" needs to be uttered before it registers.

Also..."deserving" is a dangerous, Nationalistically-charged and loaded word to use in these discussions. Just a warning.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's a little extreme... I mean couldn't we have just 2 more teams... is that really asking so much?

You have one NHL team for every 5.5 million people in your country. We have one for every 10.7 million people in ours. Based on that, I'd say you're getting your fair share, at least.

Now listen, I'd love to see the Whalers come back to Hartford. But it's not going to happen. Times change, the economics of sports change, and just because I want my team back doesn't mean I'm going to embark on some foolhardy crusade to return them to their "rightful place," while displaying a petulant sense of entitlement all the while. It's not 1996 anymore, plain and simple.

Those 5.5 million people are much more likely to buy season tickets than 10.7 million americans... I'd even put them up against 30 million americans. The NHL on NBC is one of the lowest rated shows in prime time history.

NHL on NBC isn't on prime time, it's on in the afternoons on either saturdays or sundays starting in late January or early february.

The numbers on Verses are low because the channel is not nearly as prevalent as ESPN is, the NHL's old cable home.

You seem to be blaming America and Americans for the recent failures of the NHL. That blame belongs on Gary Bettman, not the entire United States.

Your right about NBC usually airing games in the afternoon, but the one time they tried to air it on prime time (I believe it was the Carolina vs Edmonton Stanley Cup finals 2 years ago) it was the lowest rated show on prime time ever. (if my memory serves me correctly)

I am not blaming americans for anything, they can watch whatever they want. The NFL is a hell of a show and the NBA has been pretty good lately too. What I'm saying is that it should be recognized that the game of hockey, in Canada, is an extremely important cultural aspect of our society and we will live & die by these teams, much more than the casual fans in the USA do. Every night, what do you think is the opening story on a canadian sportscast? Hockey for about 15 minutes. The americans simply don't have the same passion for the game that we do.

I know we live in a free market capitalist society, but I don't think giving 2 or 3 more teams is going to bring the NHL to the brink of bankruptcy. Listen, we invented the game so we want more teams, is that really surprising?

Other than that, I agree, Bettman sucks.

thecatch.jpg

The major Canadian cities which can support a team financially in today's sports climate have NHL teams--and even a couple of those have been on thin ice. Sentimentally, it seems like there should be more teams in the north, but the population and corporate base simply doesn't exist in the cities that "deserve" teams. Times have changed, and the big-time sports leagues have changed with them. I'm not always sure I like that change, but that's the way it goes.

Since someone brought up Minnesota a while back, the NHL awarded an expansion team to the Twin Cities group based on a strong ownership group (which has now been bought out by someone who was a questionable owner in another market... but I'll save that for another time), a plan for a new state-of-the-art arena (which was built and is often lauded as the best in the league), a built-in hockey fan base in a metropolitan area of over three million people, and (partially due to the market size) a large potential for corporate support (which came to fruition). Québec and other places lack most, if not all, of those pieces.

The supposedly "undeserving" southern cities lacked only one of those, the guaranteed fan base. But in markets the size of Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix, etc., the league was hedging its bets on creating a fan base while going after its bigger target--corporate money. Again, the times have changed, and fan loyalty isn't really an indication of a team's success the way it was before. Maintain strong fan loyalty in Toronto or Montreal, and you're nearly guaranteed success; that same loyalty in Winnipeg, Hamilton, or Hartford doesn't carry the same financial weight.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Phoenix Coyotes:

Houston

Kansas City

Oklahoma City

Hamilton

Seattle

Portland

I will say not true, I have been a season ticket holder to the Coyotes and will tell you right now that your basis is flawed. Every game that I have been to which is about 36 games this season has seen a growth of young fans that flock to see the Coyotes. There have been more youth teams growing in the Valley of the Sun, and alot more fans from 8-18 going to the games than there are any other age. This is the age group that will keep this team going in the next decade. The other age on the other hand is coming to the games, people that I talk to are intrigued by what this young team can do. The fan support is there, you just don't see it, but I do. They may have been in-consistant so you say, but you don't see is a young team that will win a cup in the next 5 years. A team that is having the best season in a few years and a team that has a growing fan base year after year!

I wonder how many times "Key Arena cannot physically hold a NHL-size rink" needs to be uttered before it registers.

Also..."deserving" is a dangerous, Nationalistically-charged and loaded word to use in these discussions. Just a warning.

If a team moves to seatle or an expansion team comes there, the owner would ovbiously build a new arena. I am just stating that the city would be a good place for an NHL imo.

Also I did not know what gw said about Phoenix. I think thats really good for hockey in north america. But its really gretzkey's doing, as mentioned in the for the team part, Reasonably new arena, faithful owner, good corprate support are all reasons why this team is lasting. I think now they may also break out of their streak of bad seasons with all these young new players like Kyle Turris, Al Montoya, Blake Wheeler, and Keith Yandle.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Atlanta Thrashers:

Florida Panthers:

Phoenix Coyotes:

Nashville Predators:

Huston

Kansas City

Oklahoma City

Hamilton

Seattle

Portland

None, considering it's not true. I can personally vouch that they indeed put a 200' x 85' rink in there at least 40 times this year. Now whether they had seats around said rink is an entirely different thing. ^_^

If a team moves to seatle or an expansion team comes there, the owner would ovbiously build a new arena. I am just stating that the city would be a good place for an NHL imo.

Also I did not know what gw said about Phoenix. I think thats really good for hockey in north america. But its really gretzkey's doing, as mentioned in the for the team part, Reasonably new arena, faithful owner, good corprate support are all reasons why this team is lasting. I think now they may also break out of their streak of bad seasons with all these young new players like Kyle Turris, Al Montoya, Blake Wheeler, and Keith Yandle.

Peter Mueller too, that kid is gonna be one hell of a player. Man, can we have that team back in Canada? Please?

Although I doubt Wayne would trade the golf courses of Scotsdale for the frigid temperature of Winter-peg.

thecatch.jpg

You must not be paying any attention at all to, well, anything. No owner not named Abe Pollin is building any arena anyplace. Seattle is clearly a market that will not be funding any arena for a sports team. This market is awash with new sports arenas, and unless a new one is privately funded (which won't happen), there isn't one that will be built here.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Atlanta Thrashers:

That "lack" of fan support has been on the increase for the past few seasons.

There is no way in hell the NHL would suddenly turn down the money associated with Atlanta (corporate money and an expandable, growing fanbase) for the likes of Winnipeg, Halifax, Hamilton, or any other city in Canada. They simply can't fiscally achieve what American markets can offer.....

Huston

Why would the NHL want to go there?

Americans don't seem to see what we see in terms of the viability of canadian franchises. I guess these points of view on this issue are simply determined by which side of the border you live on.

Well, it's either that or having a POV grounded in reality.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Americans don't seem to see what we see in terms of the viability of canadian franchises. I guess these points of view on this issue are simply determined by which side of the border you live on.

I disagree.

thecatch.jpg

Right, because americans are sooooo grounded in reality. *cough* neverending war in Iraq *cough*cough*

Isn't Canada still in Afghanistan?

Today, we are all otaku.

Right, because americans are sooooo grounded in reality. *cough* neverending war in Iraq *cough*cough*

Isn't Canada still in Afghanistan?

Unfortunately yes... but this is way off-topic & I'm sorry I went there.

thecatch.jpg

Archived