A's and Rangers Throwbacks

RickV

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oakland's unis look really good. I really like the yellow batters helmets.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

With the exception of the socks, I'm not feelin' the A's uniforms. All-caps olde english looks awful, and it should never be done. If they were to adopt something similar full-time, I wouldn't hate it, so long as they used the current script.

neat, but i just dont like how the current Nats logo is on the ranger's helmets its confusing!!

Thats a credit to the current Nationals. They've made even the die-est hard-est logo fans almost forget that they didn't invent their own logo. People see the logo and immediatly think 2006 Nationals, not 1961 Senators.

Same thing with the Mets' NY. How many people see the New York Giants' NY and say hey that looks like the Mets' logo.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Unless I am mistaken the discussion of coaches wearing a different hat has been brought up before. I think it was this board where most people said it never happend until somebody posted pictures that showed the base coaches with the players on base and they had different hats. Same could apply for the As.

neat, but i just dont like how the current Nats logo is on the ranger's helmets its confusing!!

Thats a credit to the current Nationals. They've made even the die-est hard-est logo fans almost forget that they didn't invent their own logo. People see the logo and immediatly think 2006 Nationals, not 1961 Senators.

Which is good, because the expansion Senators did not wear a curly W in 1961. That logo debuted in 1963. Plus, it would be the 2005 Nationals, not 2006. And I guarantee you, nobody who ever knew about the curly W has "forgotten" its origins with the expansion Senators, at least not here in Washington.

I think people have been teasing the Rangers here because they did not use the actual curly W logo of the expansion Senators. For their "throwback" uniform, the Rangers used the curly W logo of the Nationals. The current curly W is a Todd Radom-updated reworking of the old Senators curly W. It's a much better logo in most respects, and the differences between the original and new curly W are significant enough to be noticed at a glance. It's on a par with the differences between the cap and jersey versions of Detroit's D or the Yankees' NY.

Anyway, the Nats team store was selling the Rangers' Senators throwback jerseys this weekend. Along with a lot of new Senators-themed merchandise, actually. And the Nats seem to have nearly sold out of curly W home caps, so there were suddenly lots of DC caps, which weren't on the shelves in such numbers on opening day.

20082614447.png

Both uniforms looked great. It was so cool to see stirrups being used! I have a plastic A's batting helmet from the early 70s. Its yellow with a green brim.

I really liked the shade of green on the A's throwbacks. I like it better than the darker green they use now.

Have the Twins ever wron Washington throwbacks? Or have the O's ever worn St Louis Browns throwbacks? Now THAT would be cool.

Also, I like the Oakland look other than the yellow helmet. Dear GOD.

Have the Twins ever wron Washington throwbacks? Or have the O's ever worn St Louis Browns throwbacks? Now THAT would be cool.

Also, I like the Oakland look other than the yellow helmet. Dear GOD.

In 2003, the O's wore the Browns road greys in St. Louis in an interleague game (as was mentioned at the top of page 2 of the thread), and the Twins wore Sens uniforms in 2001 or so. They were the old-style, turn-of-the-century style jerseys.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I'm always surprised to see players wear their stirrups backwards.

I'll bet most of these younger modern-era players never wore stirrups from Little League onward, so I am not surprised to see Hannahan with his backwards.

capt.afec6944e3ae4c62a545df9609bd3e60.rangers_athletics_baseball__oas110.jpg

Love it. I wish the A's would immediately adopt something like these. The only problem I have is that I miss seeing any yellow in the hat. I like the hat to include all the colors. Same thing with the new Braves alt-alt hat. Like the jersey, but I wish the hat had a touch of red (even though a lot of folks love it as a throwback).

I'm always surprised to see players wear their stirrups backwards.

I'll bet most of these younger modern-era players never wore stirrups from Little League onward, so I am not surprised to see Hannahan with his backwards.

capt.afec6944e3ae4c62a545df9609bd3e60.rangers_athletics_baseball__oas110.jpg

It's also a little counter-intuitive to have the larger opening in back - not surprising that some players but their feet through the big hole in the stirrups.

Which is good, because the expansion Senators did not wear a curly W in 1961. That logo debuted in 1963. Plus, it would be the 2005 Nationals, not 2006. And I guarantee you, nobody who ever knew about the curly W has "forgotten" its origins with the expansion Senators, at least not here in Washington.

I think people have been teasing the Rangers here because they did not use the actual curly W logo of the expansion Senators. For their "throwback" uniform, the Rangers used the curly W logo of the Nationals. The current curly W is a Todd Radom-updated reworking of the old Senators curly W. It's a much better logo in most respects, and the differences between the original and new curly W are significant enough to be noticed at a glance. It's on a par with the differences between the cap and jersey versions of Detroit's D or the Yankees' NY.

Anyway, the Nats team store was selling the Rangers' Senators throwback jerseys this weekend. Along with a lot of new Senators-themed merchandise, actually. And the Nats seem to have nearly sold out of curly W home caps, so there were suddenly lots of DC caps, which weren't on the shelves in such numbers on opening day.

Do you think the majority of Washington fans prefer the team be named the Senators with the old logo and colors?

metslogo_215.gif

Archived