No more SportsCenter reruns

OMMF

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/stor...ml?ana=from_rss

Two of the Walt Disney Co.'s largest units - ABC and ESPN - held their upfront ad presentations today and unveiled several key changes.

ESPN rolled out a new personality and a big change in its flagship program, "SportsCenter."

The network formally introduced former NBC Sports and CBS Early Show host Hannah Storm as an anchor for "SportsCenter."

ESPN also announced a major change in "SportsCenter," as it will broadcast a live, nine-hour block of "SportsCenter" from 6 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday, replacing repeats of the hour-long "SportsCenter" during the day.

ESPN will also change certain elements of espn.com, which will feature a scoreboard at the top of the page. Also in the online realm is the launch of sportscenter.com, which is aimed at interacting with viewers via chats, blogs and instant polls.

Nine live hours of the same stories over and over again? Overkill much?

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/stor...ml?ana=from_rss
Two of the Walt Disney Co.'s largest units - ABC and ESPN - held their upfront ad presentations today and unveiled several key changes.

ESPN rolled out a new personality and a big change in its flagship program, "SportsCenter."

The network formally introduced former NBC Sports and CBS Early Show host Hannah Storm as an anchor for "SportsCenter."

ESPN also announced a major change in "SportsCenter," as it will broadcast a live, nine-hour block of "SportsCenter" from 6 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday, replacing repeats of the hour-long "SportsCenter" during the day.

ESPN will also change certain elements of espn.com, which will feature a scoreboard at the top of the page. Also in the online realm is the launch of sportscenter.com, which is aimed at interacting with viewers via chats, blogs and instant polls.

Nine live hours of the same stories over and over again? Overkill much?

I liked this before...when it called "Cold Pizza" and then "First and 10"

Sportscenter.com is actually going up against their other programming on ESPN2, like "Mike & Mike" and "First Take".

Further information from Ad Age.

Research initiatives

As the "SportsCenter" news ticker flashed ratings highlights from ESPN and ESPN.com and distribution news for sibling networks ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes, Sean Bratches, ESPN's exec VP-sales and marketing, discussed the new research initiatives ESPN will be starting this year. First is a partnership with Nielsen Connect that will serve as a single source of measurement for campaigns bought across TV, online and eventually mobile.

"We want to do everything we can to lead the industry toward cross-media solutions. ... Now we can finally capture what people are doing on all platforms," Mr. Bratches said.

Ed Erhardt, president of ESPN/ABC Sports customer marketing and sales, said the first data from the Nielsen Connect study will be made available in 30 days.

Metrics zero in

The network is also partnering with Nielsen Fusion to provide additional analysis to show advertisers where sports fans are spending the most time watching their favorite teams. Yet another research study, a partnership with Nielsen-backed NeuroFocus, will turn to the ultimate engagement barometer, brain waves, to gauge viewers' emotional response to content and ads.

ESPN also announced it will participate in the Disney Emerging Media Ad Lab in Austin, Texas, which will test ad models such as split screens, brand integration, sponsorships, addressable advertising and broadband video in different formats.

ESPN enters this year's upfront with $1.53 billion booked in ad dollars in 2007, and hopes to expand that total this year by broadening its content to include more entertainment and documentary projects. Already on tap is a Kobe Bryant documentary directed by Spike Lee, who showed up toward the presentation's end to discuss the new project. The company will also make its first venture into movie theaters next year with a biopic on baseball legend Jackie Robison, with Robert Redford executive-producing and co-starring in the project.

Also coming to the network is Rick Reilly, the popular "Sports Illustrated" columnist, who will contribute to ESPN.com and also host "ESPN Homecoming," a sports docu-series to debut in October.

ESPN's return to a focused, on-brand presentation earned a thumbs-up from several buyers, who also expressed interest in the network's numerous research initiatives. Chris Boothe, Starcom's chief activation officer, said he was particularly curious to learn more about Disney's Emerging Media Ad Lab later that afternoon at ABC's event.

When I first heard their plans, I would have bet money it signaled the end of First Take. Storm's show sounds like ESPN's third shot at a sports-centric "GMA." Not only is it going to try to be what Cold Pizza couldn't be it's going on at the same time as the show that Cold Pizza de-evolved into.

Also, the noon-3 block means the end of "First and 10" on ESPN which also smelled of the end for FT.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

The best part about being sick and staying home from school as a kid was watching the same Sportscenter over and over and knowing what came next...

Hahaha +1, I can remember watching it for like the 5th time in a row and saying word for word "Please use 3rd base as a safety flotation device". Those were the days......

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

The best part about being sick and staying home from school as a kid was watching the same Sportscenter over and over and knowing what came next...

Hahaha +1, I can remember watching it for like the 5th time in a row and saying word for word "Please use 3rd base as a safety flotation device". Those were the days......

Depending on if my favorite teams won or lost I would either watch again at the time of winning highlights or avoid during losing highlights.

Is this the end of ESPNews? I mean, honestly what's the point of keeping that around if you're going to do this? Or are they plotting out some new E channel that hasn't been talked about yet?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

You have to be kidding me. Nothing is worse than watching sportscenter nine times in a row because nothing else is on. Oh, and they should just replace this block with ESPN News.

Well, at least it has Hannah Storm back doing sports. I never quite got the hang of her doing news.

Better yet, they should have her host the NBA telecasts.... and find a away to get the NBA on NBC theme music ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

• 1 month later...

ESPN announced the anchor pairings today:

6-9 am: Linda Cohn & Steve Berthieume

9-noon: Hannah Storm & Josh Elliott

(on Fridays in NFL season, it's Sage Steele & Elliott, with Storm co-anchoring Sunday morning SC)

noon-3 pm: Chris McKendry & Robert Flores

Steele is also slated to do 20-minute SC updates from 6am-noon.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

(on Fridays in NFL season, it's Sage Steele & Elliott, with Storm co-anchoring Sunday morning SC)

ET, I'm assuming. Almost seems like they are gearing Hannah towards the west coast.

Sage Steele. She sounds like a super hero, or a double-nought spy.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived