All-Star Roster Projections

WJMorris3

I agree about Utley. He'll be there, but not as a starter. Not enough people know him compared to MVPs Rollins and Howard.

What planet do you live on?

HubCaps - Utley was one of the favorites for the MVP prior to his injury that shifted the spotlight on to Rollins, and he's been a candidate for the past three years.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree about Utley. He'll be there, but not as a starter. Not enough people know him compared to MVPs Rollins and Howard.

HubCaps - Utley was one of the favorites for the MVP prior to his injury that shifted the spotlight on to Rollins, and he's been a candidate for the past three years.

All the same, he's not as big of a household name in states not ending with -sylvania. They get to vote too.

Or I just don't talk to a baseball-knowledgeable crowd. I've heard of Utley, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people here do. Either way he's an All-Star. I just wonder if it will be as a starter.

All the same, he's not as big of a household name in states not ending with -sylvania. They get to vote too.

Or I just don't talk to a baseball-knowledgeable crowd. I've heard of Utley, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people here do. Either way he's an All-Star. I just wonder if it will be as a starter.

He's been the near-consensus best second baseman in baseball for the last 3 seasons! I'm pretty sure even a casual follower of baseball know who Chase Utley is. Plus, who would they know better than him? Brandon Phillips? Oh yeah, now he's a name-brand! Give me a break. <_<

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

He's been the near-consensus best second baseman in baseball for the last 3 seasons! I'm pretty sure even a casual follower of baseball know who Chase Utley is. Plus, who would they know better than him? Brandon Phillips? Oh yeah, now he's a name-brand! Give me a break. <_<

Again, I'm aware of Chase Utley. I wasn't sure of his national popularity because a lot of people I talk to only know of him from this year. I didn't know he was a starter last year, though... and yeah, NL 2nd basemen are pretty thin. I was thinking maybe Uggla or, depending on the international vote, Matsui. But does it even matter? As I've already said, Utley is a lock for the All-Star roster.

Utley not making the team because of his defense? Brandon Phillips isn't that much better defensively. He's got the best Range-Zone Rating among NL second basemen but Utley's made over three times as many Out-of-Zone plays.

And let's put it this way offensively... Brandon Phillips' OBP is basically Chase Utley's batting average. Plus 10 more HR's, 20+ more RBI's for Utley...

Plus, Utley's win-share is 15, Brandon Phillips' is 9.

IUe6Hvh.png

That must be it. Honestly - not being a homer here (I'm probably as far from a homer as you can be while still being a fan of your home teams) but the guy's been a bona-fide star for a few years now, and has received a lot of national press. Part of the reason why he hasen't received more press this season is because at this point of his career he is expected to put up awesome numbers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As it stands now according to MLB.com:

American League

C - J. Varitek (BOS)

1B - K. Youkilis (BOS)

2B - D. Pedroia (BOS)

SS - D. Jeter (NYY)

3B - A. Rodriguez (NYY)

OF - M. Ramirez (BOS)

OF - J. Hamilton (TEX)

OF - I. Suzuki (SEA)

DH - D. Ortiz (BOS)

National League

C - G. Soto (CHC)

1B - L. Berkman (HOU)

2B - C. Utley (PHI)

SS - H. Ramirez (FLA)

3B - L. Jones (ATL)

OF - A. Soriano (CHC)

OF - K. Fukudome (CHC)

OF - K. Griffey Jr (CIN)

6uXNWAo.png

As it stands now according to MLB.com:

American League

C - J. Varitek (BOS)

1B - K. Youkilis (BOS)

2B - D. Pedroia (BOS)

SS - D. Jeter (NYY)

3B - A. Rodriguez (NYY)

OF - M. Ramirez (BOS)

OF - J. Hamilton (TEX)

OF - I. Suzuki (SEA)

DH - D. Ortiz (BOS)

National League

C - G. Soto (CHC)

1B - L. Berkman (HOU)

2B - C. Utley (PHI)

SS - H. Ramirez (FLA)

3B - L. Jones (ATL)

OF - A. Soriano (CHC)

OF - K. Fukudome (CHC)

OF - K. Griffey Jr (CIN)

FIVE Red Sox in the starting lineup? Seriously? Let's have some variety here. I like the Red Sox, don't get me wrong. But I just wish there was a little more variety. I just dont want to turn on the game and just see Red Sox jerseys running around everyhwere.

NL looks just fine. I do wish Garrett Atkins could get a starting nod at 3rd and that Matt Holliday could at Outfield, but at the same time Chipper and all the other three outfielders really deservet the bid. The NL, I like.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Dustin Pedroia getting the start over Ian Kinsler and Varitek over Mauer (if it finishes as is) might be the biggest argument against fan voting I can remember in a few years.

Tek over Mauer isn't as bad as Pedroia over Kinsler, or probably 5 or 6 other guys. But we all already knew how awful fan voting is. It's a popularity contest. And I think if the ASG is going to be meaningful then it shuoldn't have fan voting, even if it makes the AL at a disadvantage.

Well, after reviewing the last two weeks, I've made some changes... here's what I have as who deserves to be there.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C: Joe Mauer, A.J. Pierzynski, Kurt Suzuki

1B: Justin Morneau, Kevin Youkilis

2B: Ian Kinsler, Jose Lopez

3B: Joe Crede, Alex Rodriguez

SS: Orlando Cabrera, Michael Young

OF: Jose Guillen, Josh Hamilton, Nick Markakis, Magglio Ordonez, Manny Ramirez, Grady Sizemore, B.J. Upton

DH: Milton Bradley, Hideki Matsui

SP: Josh Beckett, Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Shaun Marcum, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Ervin Santana, Joe Saunders

RP: Scott Linebrink, Joe Nathan, Mariano Rivera, Jonathan Papelbon, Francisco Rodriguez

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C: Russell Martin, Brian McCann, Geovany Soto

1B: Lance Berkman, Adrian Gonzales*, Albert Pujols

2B: Orlando Hudson, Dan Uggla

3B: Garrett Atkins, Chipper Jones, David Wright

SS: Hanley Ramirez, Jose Reyes

OF: Ryan Braun, Adam Dunn, Carlos Lee, Ryan Ludwick, Nate McLouth, Aaron Rowand, Alfonso Soriano

SP: Aaron Cook, Ryan Dempster, Tim Lincecum, Johan Santana, Edinson Volquez, Brandon Webb, Carlos Zambrano

RP: Josh Beimel, Heath Bell, Brandon Lyon, Jon Rauch, Brian Wilson

And to those who are in favor of Utley being there, note that I am a Phillies fan and me adding Utley would reek of homerism - he's just not having as good a year as he should be.

LvZYtbZ.png

Well, after reviewing the last two weeks, I've made some changes... here's what I have as who deserves to be there.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

OF: Ryan Braun, Adam Dunn, Carlos Lee, Ryan Ludwick, Nate McLouth, Aaron Rowand, Alfonso Soriano

SP: Aaron Cook, Ryan Dempster, Tim Lincecum, Johan Santana, Edinson Volquez, Brandon Webb, Carlos Zambrano

And to those who are in favor of Utley being there, note that I am a Phillies fan and me adding Utley would reek of homerism - he's just not having as good a year as he should be.

Yeah, all that poor bastard's doing is leading MLB in homeruns....

And you still have no Philadelphia representation for the All-Star game. For a guy who tends to be a stickler for details, you do know that the Phillies need a rep for the team, right?

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Yeah, all that poor bastard's doing is leading MLB in homeruns....

And you still have no Philadelphia representation for the All-Star game. For a guy who tends to be a stickler for details, you do know that the Phillies need a rep for the team, right?

Well, I can't exactly cut Jon Rauch. Hedley, you're making it out as if Chase Utley missing the All-Star team would be a bit of a snub -- you can't tell me that Dan Uggla doesn't deserve to be there.

LvZYtbZ.png

Well, I can't exactly cut Jon Rauch. Hedley, you're making it out as if Chase Utley missing the All-Star team would be a bit of a snub -- you can't tell me that Dan Uggla doesn't deserve to be there.

Cut Orlando Hudson, his stats are clearly inferior to Utley's and Uggla's. Arizona's already got their representative for the game with Brandon Webb.....

Why do you keep ignoring the fact that you have no Phillies on your projected All-Star roster?

Cut Orlando Hudson, his stats are clearly inferior to Utley's and Uggla's. Arizona's already got their representative for the game with Brandon Webb.....Why do you keep ignoring the fact that you have no Phillies on your projected All-Star roster?
Again, I point out, I'm a Phillies fan. I don't want to look like a homer by putting Phillies on the team.

LvZYtbZ.png

Well, figured I'd go ahead and give who I think should be the 32 All-Stars for each league at this point of the season... I have followed Major League Baseball rules, and in addition, have limited any team from having more than five All-Stars. Starters are in bold.

If you insist on going by MLB rules, you gotta put one Phillie on the team.

That's not homertism, that's following MLB rules....

Cut Orlando Hudson, his stats are clearly inferior to Utley's and Uggla's. Arizona's already got their representative for the game with Brandon Webb.....Why do you keep ignoring the fact that you have no Phillies on your projected All-Star roster?
Again, I point out, I'm a Phillies fan. I don't want to look like a homer by putting Phillies on the team.

Regardless, you can't overlook Utley for the NL starter. This is the first time in the past 3 years I would say he actually deserves to start over Uggla.

Why do y'all even bother with Will? Seriously? Has he ever had a semi-rational sports opinion? Or even a semi-rational non-sports opinion?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived