2008-2009 NHL Offseason Thread

Wheelhouse

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll tell you who will be a monster for the B's next year? Phil Kessel. (if they dont do something stupid and trade the guy).

I hope so. I haven't been completely impressed by the kid, especially when he was billed as "The American Sidney Crosby" a couple months before the draft. I think if the Bruins still had Joe Thornton, then Phil Kessel would have great points, similar to how Thornton basically turned Mike Knuble into a productive player.

The American Sid Crosby tag was really unfair, as they have a vastly different style. I liken him more to Spezza, who spent two seasons getting acclimated before finally hitting paydirt. And remember, the kid came back from cancer in his rookie season so he's got toughness.

Detroit signs UFA goaltender Ty Conklin to a 1 year deal worth $750,000

Hmmmm...not sure what to think here. I was kinda looking forward to seeing Jimmy Howard as backup for a full year. Oh well.

And I seriously didn't think Jeff Finger made it to the NHL. He was in Hershey when I had season tickets, and I'd never heard of him again...until now.

Interesting. Never thought that the Wings would need him. I guess they're not sold on Howard at all. (and they did draft a goalie in the first round, too).

What good news for the Hawks. Finally bringing in some top tier free agents. The D looks to to be much improved by adding Campbell to the bunch and I am glad that they took care of this Khabby issue. Him not playing during the lockout might have ruined his career or at least his time here in Chicago.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

these GMs are like little kids on christmas on those 2 days. free agent signings tail off in a couple days when they have until training camp to sign guys.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

these GMs are like little kids on christmas on those 2 days. free agent signings tail off in a couple days when they have until training camp to sign guys.

But if you wait the players that you want will be gone. Still some ridiculous contracts, and I'm suprised Ray Emery hasn't been signed, he has much more potential than Raycroft of Huet.

But if you wait the players that you want will be gone. Still some ridiculous contracts, and I'm suprised Ray Emery hasn't been signed, he has much more potential than Raycroft of Huet.

I dunno, I'd take a proven Huet over a flash-in-the-pan-and-unpredictable-with-potential Emery.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

That is because Emery is a complete baby. The guys attitude is so bad that his play directly suffers. He would be bad for any team where they are gonna be having a competition in training camp.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

Pens sign Eric Godard, so I assume Laraque is on the outs.

Good moves in re-signing Dupuis and Eaton to cheap contracts. Two quality roleplayers who fit nicely here. Hopefully Eaton can stay healthy.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

I dunno, I'd take a proven Huet over a flash-in-the-pan-and-unpredictable-with-potential Emery.

Well what about in Colorado, would you rather have a guy who could a top goalie in the league in Emery, or a guy like Raycroft who at his best is average. I don't know about you guys but I'd rather take the risk in signing Emery to a one year deal worth lets say 1.5m than sign guys like Theodore and Huet to bloated contacts.

Trade Deadline Day and July 1st, reminders that the NHL is run by a bunch of drunken sailors.

Post of the Day.

It's good to see Rolston come home.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Thrashers GM Don Waddell does know that today's July 1st, right? Are the Thrashers going to make any personnel transactions?

I know why the Brian Campbell signing didn't happen in Atlanta....same thing with Hossa, Campbell wants to be the final piece to a Cup-contending team, not a starting piece. Supposedly, Atlanta was offering $13 million more than what Chicago did over the same time period. The Blackhawks are a lot closer to contending for the Cup than Atlanta is.

Now the team will have to overspend on players just to reach the salary basement. I really hope the team doesn't over-value Kari Lehtonen and overpay and give him a long contract.

Now that the initial flurry is over...who are the top UFA defensemen left?

Trade Deadline Day and July 1st, reminders that the NHL is run by a bunch of drunken sailors.

Post of the Day.

It's good to see Rolston come home.

Does anybody else who watches TSN laugh when Mike Millbury criticizes a move, when he made some of the worst moves in NHL history.

Pens sign Eric Godard, so I assume Laraque is on the outs.

Downgrade.

Edmonton fans would LOVE to have Laraque back.

Hell, if the Oilers are going to suck, they might as well bring back the NHL's top goon so the fans will have something to cheer about while they lose. :D

6uXNWAo.png

Archived