The IOWA CHOPS?

RedEye

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any logo that is referred to as "not THAT bad"... is bad.... certainly isn't good... and to think... the logo could have been so much more and so much better with that name.... the logo sits there like a "meh".... very forgettable.

Wonder who did this.... just poor craftsmanship... weak and rough lines... those black lines marking the creases in the face etc. need more weight... better definition... just poorly illustrated.

Iowa's divisional opponents, the Rockford IceHogs, already utilize an identity package revolving around a porcine mascot. As a result, the Chops' choice of a boar as the centerpiece of their identity seems derivative and uninspired. The logo looks like a cross between a 1930s cartoon character and something you'd see adorning the sign on a rural English pub. The font is the ubiquitous Copperplate. Bottom line? A missed opportunity in Des Moines.

I have less of a concern with the logo than with the team name. Is there a meaning to the name "Chops" that I'm not familiar with? The only definition I know of is as in "pork chop." I find it a little strange for a team to choose a name that only applies once an animal is slaughtered and dissected. And to then have the mascot be a live version of said animal, well, I find that a little creepy.

That's one P-Oed Pig! Yuck, not good.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived