The IOWA CHOPS?

RedEye

Wow... This logo is nothing more than a slap in the face to awesome designers on this board who SHOULD be designing logos for pro teams. To pile on, I will agree that this is not a good logo, nor a good team identity.

Anyhoo, this logo was what I first thought of when I saw the Chops logo. And if there is an official font in Hell, it's gotta be Copperplate.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, I guess I can see wanting to go with a boar or something as a logo, but why name the team after a cut of food made from the dead corpse of your chosen mascot?

Nah, a pig makes for a more dynamic mascot than an actual pork chop. And it's not like Iowans surround themselves with lots of pigs because they love the companionship of swine. Iowa grows pigs for the purpose of turning them into meat. The animal-food connection is only bothersome if you've forgotten where your food comes from.

Perhaps something like:

Pork-main_Full.jpg

or

press_advert3.jpg

Would have been more in order, in a kind of vintage style, with some sort of hockey-related adornment.

Alternately, the state of Iowa itself looks like a pig, so perhaps simply playing with the shape of the state would have been the way to go.

20082614447.png

From hfboards, they aren't even bothering to use a font to match their wordmark. Clone city, baby!

iowachopshome.JPG

That's a mark in its favor. I hate custom number fonts.

Except that this is a custom number font - it's just the custom font of the Anaheim Ducks, thereby yielding a lazy font mess. If it was just a block font, I wouldn't have an issue - though the front wordmark remains cluttering and unnecessary.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'll go against the grain and say I LOVE THIS LOGO/NAME.

Frankly, I don't see the consternation when you've got more egregrious examples of poor logo design/team naming in the hockey minor leagues. This is tame in comparison to some of the utter manure out there. And it's FUNNY, which is more than I can say for the rest of them. Give me a CHOP anyday over a fuggin' ICEHOG.

You know, I guess I can see wanting to go with a boar or something as a logo, but why name the team after a cut of food made from the dead corpse of your chosen mascot?

Nah, a pig makes for a more dynamic mascot than an actual pork chop. And it's not like Iowans surround themselves with lots of pigs because they love the companionship of swine. Iowa grows pigs for the purpose of turning them into meat. The animal-food connection is only bothersome if you've forgotten where your food comes from.

I still think that having the name be a cut of a meat and the logo the animal it comes from is sort of dissonant. But I suppose there was already one team with Hogs in the name.

The logo could be much improved without the dots between the CHOPS.

I still think that having the name be a cut of a meat and the logo the animal it comes from is sort of dissonant. But I suppose there was already one team with Hogs in the name.

The logo could be much improved without the dots between the CHOPS.

You're right that it is a bit dissonant. The perfect word to describe the phenomenon. I just don't think the dissonance is a problem. B)

And true that among the many things wrong with this logo is the dots between the words. It's like someone was up late at night watching reruns of M*A*S*H. But the punctuation there only makes sense because it's an acronym for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital. Maybe we need a contest to do a reverse acronym for CHOPS, like a GI Joe weapons system.

What we have here is a truly inspired name, with a perfectly passable idea for a logo and identity, that's just very badly executed. There's everything to like about the idea behind this, but nothing to like about what they've actually done with it.

20082614447.png

Maybe we need a contest to do a reverse acronym for CHOPS, like a GI Joe weapons system.

Cheapskate

Hockey

Operation

Presented

Shoddily?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What we have here is a truly inspired name, with a perfectly passable idea for a logo and identity, that's just very badly executed. There's everything to like about the idea behind this, but nothing to like about what they've actually done with it.

That's a pretty good summary.

I do love the name. A boar mascot is a great idea. But somewhere in the execution, it all goes wonky.

It doesn't bode well when the team wordmark uses a standard font packaged on every computer. The name isn't terrible -- at least not for minor league. They should have gone with a non-pig logo/name.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Just as an example of what could be done... I did this in literally 20 minutes over lunch...

Using their theme / colors and concept... This certainly needs cleaned up and I would use a different color palette but this is a quick idea of how I would have treated it differently.

It by no means is what I could have accomplished for money and given a good amount of time to refine and sketch etc.... makes one wonder how long the designer of the official logo spent refining and conceptualizing it.

I personally would have done things a lot differently... this is just an attempt to make theirs look better.

chops.jpg

There's already a team in the AHL who uses a pig as their logo, the Rockford IceHogs. Imagine them playing the Chops. Do you think it'll be easy to tell them apart?

It's the Bacon Cup!

The Pulled Pork Roast sounds better.

Perhaps something like:

Pork-main_Full.jpg

or

press_advert3.jpg

Would have been more in order, in a kind of vintage style, with some sort of hockey-related adornment.

Alternately, the state of Iowa itself looks like a pig, so perhaps simply playing with the shape of the state would have been the way to go.

I wonder if I can get a poster like that to hang in the arena when they play Peoria.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived