The IOWA CHOPS?

RedEye

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought they might call themselves the Iowa Hawks considering that they are affiliated with the Ducks and they are in the Hawkeye state.

Well, I guess this means just some more pork for the Wolves to tear into next year. Last season, I made a sign that had the Rockford hog laid out on a platter, decked out with garnishings and the saying "ROAST THEM HOGS!" around it. Even the Wolves made a t-shirt for the West div. final against Rockford that had the head of the Hog's logo on a plate that had bacon under it with Skates dressed as a waiter serving it out. On the back it said "WOLVES LOVE BACON"

For Iowa I guess I could put a drawing of a pork chop that reads "DINNER TIME!"

LET'S ROAST THEM HOGS AND BBQ THOSE CHOPS!"

bleedsvg2014_03_03_12_53_210b.png

Edge2baWolves2d.jpg

Iowa Chops? :blink:

That has to be the most ridiculous nickname I've heard, even worse than Port Huron Beacons. :puke: :puke:

I guess nicknames like Ribeyes, Porterhouses, and Ground Chucks were taken.

The absolute worst is still the Victoria Salsa.

Iowa Chops? :blink:

That has to be the most ridiculous nickname I've heard, even worse than Port Huron Beacons. :puke: :puke:

I guess nicknames like Ribeyes, Porterhouses, and Ground Chucks were taken.

:blink:

Okay, what league was that in? :D

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

That does not send intimidating vibes to their opponents.

Most over-rated reason to chose a nickname ever.

"Packers" isn't a particularly intimidating nickname, unless you're on the defensive line looking at Bart Starr or Curly Lambeau behind center.

The name "Red Sox" doesn't scare anybody. No team in history has ever trembled at the prospect of playing the Yankees because of the team's name.

Neither are the names "Red Wings" or "Penguins" particularly threatening, but you don't want to see those guys on the other side of the ice.

That does not send intimidating vibes to their opponents.

Most over-rated reason to chose a nickname ever.

"Packers" isn't a particularly intimidating nickname, unless you're on the defensive line looking at Bart Starr or Curly Lambeau behind center.

The name "Red Sox" doesn't scare anybody. No team in history has ever trembled at the prospect of playing the Yankees because of the team's name.

Neither are the names "Red Wings" or "Penguins" particularly threatening, but you don't want to see those guys on the other side of the ice.

So true. I don't think the best intention of a team's name is to intimidate but, at best, to command respect. The Iowa Chops, however, fail in all categories.

Still cannot agree. How does "Twins" by itself command respect?

Then again, you have to consider that this is a minor league team. Teams in the minors have always been more whimsical than major leagues. I wouldn't necessarily advocate it for a major league club, but it's a fine nickname for a small-town affiliate.

have to disagree. it's just a bad name. If they used Mallards, or Thunder, or Shuckers, i think the name would have been fun, and fine, and minor-league camp. But Chops is just not a good name, it's not a good logo. The whole package has to get a FAIL.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Yahoo's Puck Daddy Blog has an interesting take on the name, especially the curious placement of dots between the letters.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

blink.gif

Okay, what league was that in?

I'm new (hello all), but I'll answer this: British Columbia Hockey League

Victoria is at least 50 KM away from my location.

They changed the name 2 years ago to the "Grizzlies". Geoff Courtnall coaches the team..

As for the Chops, BRAVO...You just contributed a semi-case of a team with the same name as another (in this case, the AHL now has 2 Pig-themed teams). Hideous.

Archived