The IOWA CHOPS?

RedEye

I have less of a concern with the logo than with the team name. Is there a meaning to the name "Chops" that I'm not familiar with? The only definition I know of is as in "pork chop." I find it a little strange for a team to choose a name that only applies once an animal is slaughtered and dissected. And to then have the mascot be a live version of said animal, well, I find that a little creepy.

Kind of. An Iowa Chop is a special kind of pork chop. It's generally 2 1/2 to 3 inches thick and tends to be more tender than a regular pork chop. It's a local delicacy, so the meaning may be lost on outsiders...

http://www.iowapork.org/pork_checkoff/cons...owachoptti.html

this says 1.25-1.5 but they have gotten much thicker.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's already a team in the AHL who uses a pig as their logo, the Rockford IceHogs. Imagine them playing the Chops. Do you think it'll be easy to tell them apart?

Anyway, I'm afraid to say that of all the logos in the league, the "Iowa Chops" is the worst. The name is bad too. What were these guys thinking when they came up with this???

I have less of a concern with the logo than with the team name. Is there a meaning to the name "Chops" that I'm not familiar with? The only definition I know of is as in "pork chop." I find it a little strange for a team to choose a name that only applies once an animal is slaughtered and dissected. And to then have the mascot be a live version of said animal, well, I find that a little creepy.

I always thought this same thing about the Hartford Whalers. Their logo was this cute whale, but a Whaler is someone who harpoons whales, slices off their blubber, and boils it down into oil. So, maybe a better logo would be a harpoon and a boiling pot?

There's already a team in the AHL who uses a pig as their logo, the Rockford IceHogs. Imagine them playing the Chops. Do you think it'll be easy to tell them apart?

I'm pretty sure they'll wear different colored jerseys for these matchups.

Anyway, I'm afraid to say that of all the logos in the league, the "Iowa Chops" is the worst. The name is bad too.

Sorry, the Milwaukee Admirals still have a worse logo. Easily.

What were these guys thinking when they came up with this???

"Let's get some dinner."

I have less of a concern with the logo than with the team name. Is there a meaning to the name "Chops" that I'm not familiar with? The only definition I know of is as in "pork chop."

Team ownership/management would have you believe that in addition to paying tribute to Iowa's agricultural heritage the name is "... playing into the definition of chops, having nerve, resilience and staying power".

Amongst the Merriam-Webster Dictionary's definitions for chops is "expertise in a particular field or activity". Using the word in a sentence, I could therefore accurately say, "Schlegel Sports exhibited no 'chops' in the field of sports branding when they unveiled their hockey team's new identity package."

This league has logos ranging from terrible to beautiful (i.e. the now defunct Omaha Aksarben Knights... what a killer logo and how they paid homage to the Flames was genius)... what kills me is how they just don't get the fact that they do themselves a disservice by using such crappy logos.

Amongst the Merriam-Webster Dictionary's definitions for chops is "expertise in a particular field or activity". Using the word in a sentence, I could therefore accurately say, "Schlegel Sports exhibited no 'chops' in the field of sports branding when they unveiled their hockey team's new identity package."

EXACTLY...This organization is supposed to be a sports / entertainment marketing and pomotion entity correct??

I'm pretty sure they'll wear different colored jerseys for these matchups.

Anyway, I'm afraid to say that of all the logos in the league, the "Iowa Chops" is the worst. The name is bad too.

Sorry, the Milwaukee Admirals still have a worse logo. Easily.

What were these guys thinking when they came up with this???

"Let's get some dinner."

I still despise the Chops logo more than the MilAds logo.

I have less of a concern with the logo than with the team name. Is there a meaning to the name "Chops" that I'm not familiar with? The only definition I know of is as in "pork chop."

Team ownership/management would have you believe that in addition to paying tribute to Iowa's agricultural heritage the name is "... playing into the definition of chops, having nerve, resilience and staying power".

Well played, sir.

There's already a team in the AHL who uses a pig as their logo, the Rockford IceHogs.

My immediate thought. And this isn't like a Milwaukee/Norfolk Admirals deal; this is two teams in the same freaking division, both with pig logos and red/black color schemes. The name, logo, wordmark, the idea behind it - it's all just top-to-bottom embarrassing. This is the kind of crap we should be seeing in the IHL/UHL.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

At least put an apple in that pig's mouth.

There was a restaurant in Boston that served and Iowa Hog Chop.

I'm Jewish, had never had a pork chop in my life.

A client owned the restaurant (it was called Ambrosia) and told me I should try it.

I tried it. I loved it.

"Bob Murray, Anaheim's senior vice president of hockey operations, will serve as Iowa's general manager and be based in Chicago" The GM based in another STATE?

Not that big a deal in the NHL. The GM position in this case relates to player personnel, and not business ops (unlike most lower level hockey teams). Murray already oversees the development of these players anyway via his regular title. The GM title is just a formality.

Also, I just spoke with him and there is no truth to the rumor that Chops broadcaster Alex Kyrias is gunning for the highly coveted Silver Sow Award...

It's the Bacon Cup!

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I being the 31st vote:
3 / 10%: Love it!

6 / 19%: Like it

3 / 10%: Undecided

19 / 61%: Not a fan

And with those results being indicative of how the majority of the team's fans apparently feel, Iowa Chops' management has already taken down that poll.

It has now been replaced with a new poll asking, "What is your favorite part about the new logo?" ("The logo", "The name", "The jerseys", "The colors" and "Not sure" are the available responses.)

I being the 31st vote:
3 / 10%: Love it!

6 / 19%: Like it

3 / 10%: Undecided

19 / 61%: Not a fan

And with those results being indicative of how the majority of the CCSLC apparently feel, Iowa Chops' management has already taken down that poll.

It has now been replaced with a new poll asking, "What is your favorite part about the new logo?" ("The logo", "The name", "The jerseys", "The colors" and "Not sure" are the available responses.)

FIXED

Archived